Does Russian sounds like Portuguese?

hm...   Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:20 pm GMT
----Yes. Portuguese, especially the European accents, sounds like Russian, or "Slavic" in general. -----

that depends on what language are we talking about. Maybe for some people all Slavonic languages sound the same, but for others...don't think so.
Not all Slavic languages have many clusters and palatals. They all have those features, but the frequency is different.

In my point of view, only Polish and Russian sound like Portuguese.
re: hm...   Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:49 am GMT
"----Yes. Portuguese, especially the European accents, sounds like Russian, or "Slavic" in general. -----

that depends on what language are we talking about. Maybe for some people all Slavonic languages sound the same, but for others...don't think so.
Not all Slavic languages have many clusters and palatals. They all have those features, but the frequency is different.

In my point of view, only Polish and Russian sound like Portuguese."

Yes. (Euro)Portuguese sounds like something between Polish and Russian. Perhaps Belarusian or Ukrainian would be the closest one..
lucas   Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:28 pm GMT
I'm brazilian and i see that many people doesn't know this country. First we have cameras, ipods, iphones and a lot of another technologies, and we take them in the streets, bus, and in every place. Brazy has poor people, but in usa, in europe there are too, but you don't show in tv. In brazil we have may oportunities. Brazil has a lot of thinhs more than beaches, amazonia. The biodiversity is incredible, but the people is better. We are one of the most honest people in the world, we receive very good all foreign and there are more "strangers" living here than brazilian out. I knew frenchs, australians, americans, argentians, japaneses, koreans every people like here. here we don't have terrorist attacks and young people don't come in nursey school shooting and killing as happens in usa and europe if you need a something to compare.
Aszykbajew   Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:50 am GMT
to re:hm...

Consonant distribution sounds more like Belarusian, but it lacks h of this particular language, making it sound like Russian or Polish (or according to Ze do rock, a Brazilian, it also sounds like an Albanian, since the r sounds rather trilled in medial position instead of flapped.).
Lisbonians would use an uvular r to substitute an h, which sounds rather close to Polish ch/Russian x(I usually transliterate as ch).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

to Lukasz brazilski, your message is off-topic. The standard Brazilian Portuguese has a very different sound from Continental Portuguese.

In Brazil, standard radio broadcast can sound Spanish, French, Italian; very typically Romance languages.
In Portugal, standard radio broadcast can sound like Russian, Polish, or Eastern European radio. It can also be mistaken for street Romanian. The Lisbonians can sound as aggressive as Russians, more so when angered, they probably can do a stand-in for Russians or Polish or fake Borat. :))

I was exposed to Brazilian Portuguese way before I heard the Continental Portuguese. A Slav can have an easier time pronouncing Continental variant of it.
encore   Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:15 am GMT
Maybe Russian sounds like Pashto,but not like Portuguese.
Karioka da Gema   Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:00 am GMT
''The Lisbonians can sound as aggressive as Russians, more so when angered, they probably can do a stand-in for Russians or Polish or fake Borat. :)) ''

I don't know why Portuguese they hate Ucranians, they sound very alike...
please...   Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:23 pm GMT
it's so stupid to compare some language with the aggressiveness. Have you learned that in linguistics? Don't think so.

And for your information, Polish and Russian /x/ sounds are not similar, but neither of them sounds like uvular R. Are you deaf?
Paul   Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:26 pm GMT
What does this sound like to you all?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACLUpNwz28k

If i didn't know it was portuguese I would never guess..
Aszykbajew   Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:14 am GMT
to please...

We're talking about moderately untrained ears. The intonation of Portuguese and Russian sound a bit similar, though the intonation of Portuguese sounds more like Belarusian or Polish.

The thing x and uvular have in common is that they are back consonants, sounding somewhat like a lisped h. However, to trained ears, they are noticeably different.
Aszykbajew   Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:23 am GMT
to Paul:

It would sound rather like Polish, Russian or Belarusian, if only given the audio.

Some Poles will say that it's Russian, though some would compare their language to Portuguese. There are even quips that Russian is as intelligible as Portuguese in Poland, picking up very few words. :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCWlSyZm2Q

The first air tower controller sounds rather like Borat, all you need to do is to just add a drab gray suit and uszanka. The second one sounds like a typical Soviet boss.
azul   Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:11 pm GMT
Paul, the kids accent is really strong and his Portuguese is not correct. For me, the accent from the S.Miguel (Azores) always sounded like Portuguese with French accent, they pronounce the word "Tu" in the exact same way as French do, for example. But I'm Portuguese, so my perception might be biased...

Some Portuguese DO sound like Borat when speaking English! (those who have a strong accent).
Aszykbajew   Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:50 am GMT
to azul:

These strongly accented guys can pass for a Russian or a Pole in ads? :))

But I'm sure these air tower control guys from Portugal have a rather thick Portuguese accent that is passable for a generic North(eastern) Slavic accent.

Do these guys learn Romanian, Polish or Russian and have the thinnest/weakest accent in those?
American   Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:24 pm GMT
Probably not. It's just a superficial similarity. For example, to foreigners, and people from Britain and Australia/NZ, someone from the southern US would sound pretty much the same as someone from the Northern or Western US. That does not mean that they would have an easy time emulating say a New Mexican accent. They would still sound Southern.
azul   Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:42 pm GMT
I don't if portuguese people have accent when they learn Polish or Russian. Some years ago, I met a polish student while I was in university, and we went out a couple of times. He couln't pronouce even my name correctly (my name's Raquel by the way...). And as I was teasing him because of his bad accent, he decided to pay back in the same way, so he told me couple of difficult polish words and I found them very hard to pronouce!!
I only know this word in polish: nasdrovia (don't know if it's written this way. Probably not :P).

All I know is that eastern europe emigrants here in Portugal (from Ucraine, Russia, etc) learn portuguese very easily and generally gave better accent than people from other nationalities. I think the phonetics in russian and portuguese may be very similar.
A LOT of foreigners who learn portuguese have terrible accent in the beggining. I think portuguese accent may be very difficult to learn.
Aszykbajew   Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:43 pm GMT
to azul:

It's na zdrowie. Their e is open in such a way it sounds like a.

So Northeastern Slavs (Russians, Ukrainians, Belarusians and Poles), Bulgarians and Romanians have easy time with speaking that?