What accent do you really hate? and which one you love?

mark   Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:21 pm GMT
I also think that you've got a lot more anti-semitism on your side of the pond as well, not to mention racism. Are the Dubs still publicly beating African Uni students?

I wouldnt know I'm not Irish
guest   Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:38 pm GMT
<<Are the Dubs still publicly beating African Uni students? >>

>>I wouldnt know I'm not Irish<<

African Uni students in Ireland mark?
seppo   Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:04 am GMT
Hey Mark - why don't you lay it on the line so we can tell you how your culture is less than perfect, instead of being a coward and taking potshots? Let's get to the nitty gritty. What perfect culture spawned the specimen known as Mark? This should be a right larf...
seppo   Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:06 am GMT
Anywhoo, I'm away to Arsetralia now. So be on your best behavio(u)r and I'll be sure to give you a bit of a paddle upon my return...
mark   Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:59 am GMT
African Uni students in Ireland mark?

ask someone who lives in ireland,im sure there are...

Hey Mark - why don't you lay it on the line so we can tell you how your culture is less than perfect, instead of being a coward and taking potshots? Let's get to the nitty gritty. What perfect culture spawned the specimen known as Mark? This should be a right larf...

not my fault you're over sensitive,I still believe what I believe and your verbal bullets are no match for my armour,rest assured my less than perfect culture has been attacked over the course of this 60 page soap opera
s.jack   Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:46 pm GMT
whoa! americans really ARE stupid.
sayaka   Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:38 am GMT
to s.jack: better not say that again, I'm not american, but my friends are!! and my boyfriend is american, americans aren't stupid, YOU are stupid
Vytenis   Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:01 pm GMT
The posh and dry English received pronunciation, the one Tolkien spoke and the guy who reads his books - Rob Inglis I believe... That is the most stuffy and boring accent on the planet. I like Estuary
David   Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:20 pm GMT
All you idiots who slagged the Scouse accent are merely narrowminded stereotypical berks who need to listen to their own accents before slagging ours off...
Guest   Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:23 am GMT
Good work, Inspector S. Spellrite.
Aussie   Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:01 am GMT
im an aussie and i really love our accent! aussies all the way!
but i dont dislike any other accents, theyre all unique!
carter   Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:57 am GMT
seppo I'm just wondering when you say the Irish do not like americans are you basing that on your own experiences with Irish people or is that just a general view amongst americans? Last I looked the link between Ireland and America was still quite strong and any of the university students from america studying in Dublin I've spoken to have expressed their admiration for the Irish and Ireland itself and vice versa.I'm part of student services here in Trinity college Dublin and I deal with all nationalities on a daily basis and I can tell you that we receive zero complaints regarding racism,mistreatment,bullying or any other form of verbal or physical abuse.We also keep in close contact with other colleges across Ireland and get reports,feedback,there are some complaints,but very few.

I'm Irish myself and while I can't speak for every Irish person I can tell you that the idea that every Irish man and woman is racist is utterly ridiculous.

This is my own personal view;the younger Irish generation((The average age of the State's population now stands at 35 years) are much more open to people of all nationalities,the older generation still live in the dark ages and haven't caught up,Foreign nationals now account for 10% of the Irish population and for a country with a 4 + million population,that's a lot of foreigners.My last point is this,many of the colleges and schools in Ireland have Racism and anti-racism social movements in responses to racism and if a student passes any racial slurs or mistreat someone because of their skin color or background they will be kicked out of that particular college or school and in Ireland if you get expelled once you are pretty much done for,it is a permanent marker on your records,other schools will be less likely to accept you,and your future employment will definitely be damaged.

I'm not denying that racism isn't a problem within Ireland,yes it exists and it's defintitely something that upsets me personally,but this idea that the Irish hate americans,or hate africans,(from my college position is simply not true),as you and I know racism spawns from ignorance,but thankfully people here in Ireland and more educated,have better jobs,and in my opinion more open minded than they were 20-30 years ago.
Elisabeth   Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:54 am GMT
What Americans are you talking to, that don't like you to criticize (or criticise) George Bush? His approval rating is well below 50 percent. Get rid of the idea that Bush defenders represent most U.S. Americans. (I just wish more of us (U.S. Americans) had realized this before we elected (not re-elected) him in 2004.
Elisabeth   Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:03 am GMT
I meant, in my last posting, Bush's approval rating in the U.S. is well under 50 percent. I expect it's well under ten percent in the rest of the world. (OK, sorry, I promise to post no more comments unrelated to language.)
Kendra   Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:04 am GMT
Bush represents the conservative and backward fly-over-states not the rich, open-minded gay-friendly coasts.