What accent do you really hate? and which one you love?

the non native English sp   Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:24 am GMT
<<(that is not even counting in Canada)>>

Canada is not the United States, hmm...are you planning a second invasion ;)
04NE   Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:30 am GMT
I believe he merely meant that the US on its own has the biggest native English-speaking population in the world.
the non native English sp   Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:47 am GMT
<<I believe he merely meant that the US on its own has the biggest native English-speaking population in the world.>>

Well, we all know that :) and now when viewing his wording " not even counting in Canada" it all makes sense :))) Then again; it would imply that English spoken in Canada has more in common with English spoken in the United States, than it has with the Commonwealth English. And in terms of spelling I would disagree ;), but thats another story. I am (yet again) off topic. So I leave this discussion before it gets even more derailed, have a nice day all!

To Travis; I applogise if my "remark" came out the wrong way mate, it was not my intention. :/

cheers
Josh Lalonde   Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:12 pm GMT
<<Then again; it would imply that English spoken in Canada has more in common with English spoken in the United States, than it has with the Commonwealth English. And in terms of spelling I would disagree>>

No, Canadian English is closer to American than 'Commonwealth' English, and I'm not even talking about pronunciation. Whenever British and American English differ on a particular word choice, Canada usually goes with the US, or sometimes has its own form.
Noel   Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:49 pm GMT
"Another thing: what is this strange misconception that we go around shouting everything. Maybe its from the movies where the actors have to speak so clearly and whisper to each other loud enough for people in the next building to hear. I'm not sure, but we don't all yell to each other when we're in the same room as everyone so obviously thinks"

No I never mentioned anything about shouting,loud is loud,(ie) above what I consider normal speaking level,that is speaking clear enough to get your points across but at the same time doing it in a manner which doesn't seem patronizing or give the appearance that the person been spoken to is been "talked down to".Now I'm not saying you do it intentionally,it is merely an observation on my part and while I cannot speak for all americans I can honestly say that the americans I've met in my short but colorful life are most certainly without any doubt....... "loud"

And honestly I rarely give opinions about anyone or anything unless I have first hand experiences with them,so this is not a stereotypical "oh those yanks are so stupid and loud " sort of posts,this is just me saying where I live I'm used to a certain volume of speech,and the americans I've met or have been to my hometown,stick out because they are louder...
seppo   Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:56 pm GMT
I think that that stereotype has crept into your brain and created the perception of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I can hear English people barking out their accents on the subway. Is it because they are particularly loud or because there is something different to the way the natives speak that makes it noticeable.
Guest   Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:59 pm GMT
I am not an English native speaker. My cousin has recently gone to usa for his master studies. Initially, he had a torrid time in responding back to Americans because they talked so loud to an extent of shouting that my cousin got scared out of his wits and was unable to respond back and meekly accepted the opinions of general Americans. One more point I generally noticed by talking to a handful of American males in person. they were talking to me they acted like if they were doing a favor to me. Kinda patronizing attitude...okay. There is no country like America on planet earth... that does not mean that they have got a license to put down every non-american...elsewhere.
Noel   Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:10 pm GMT
"I can hear English people barking out their accents on the subway. Is it because they are particularly loud or because there is something different to the way the natives speak that makes it noticeable."

They live in the city,I live in the country,so yes there is a difference in the volumes,and or way of speaking.
creed   Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:38 pm GMT
<<There is no country like America on planet earth>>

Americans are by nature insecure combined with low self esteem, which is why they always seek attention in the crudest way; a bit like a child without manners really!
intelligent person   Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:08 pm GMT
This is a stupid web site, with same calibre of opinions from people who
should be wearing white pointed sheets over their head. Get a brain and a life, because this one is obviously not working for you. !!!
intelligent person   Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:31 pm GMT
Yes and I'm obviously not an attention seeking whore,and if I were as intelligent as I claim to be I wouldn't have posted at all
mark   Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:42 pm GMT
you only have to go on sites like youtube to see what kind of backward uneducated white trash america has produced they know everything about every country and have no problem discriminating against every NON AMERICAN but god forbid you criticize their beloved president or point out their flaws HYPOCRITES ,yes america your shit does stink
Adam   Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:16 pm GMT
"you only have to go on sites like youtube to see what kind of backward uneducated white trash america has produced they know everything about every country and have no problem discriminating against every NON AMERICAN but god forbid you criticize their beloved president or point out their flaws HYPOCRITES ,yes america your shit does stink "

That's true. And it makes even worse when you consider that most countries have been around for longer than America.
seppo   Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:28 pm GMT
Wait a second. Are Americans arrogant or lacking in self-esteem? You can't have it both ways, rest of world... Someone was right about the white sheets. The last few furriners who chimed in here were simple bigots.

And Noel - whom I think isn't at least an active bigot: I live in the city. If the natives are inherently louder than the English, why can I always hear an English a mile off? I lived in London for a few years and the people don't speak any softer than Americans. That's my anecdotal experience.

I love the Adam persona (in that life's rich tapestry kind of way), but I'm thinking that the real Adam is a track-suited chav sitting in a council flat with one hand around a Carlsberg export and the other well around his knob, having a very tough time trying to decide which hand to remove from those equally important objects and use on his keyboard. Talk about the master race...
guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:31 am GMT
<<Wait a second. Are Americans arrogant or lacking in self-esteem?>>

Yes, Arrogance can indeed be a sign of low self-esteem!