What accent do you really hate? and which one you love?

bosco   Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:57 pm GMT
michelle I have a girlfriend thanks,we've been together almost six years now and no hiccups as yet but god forbid anything should go wrong I'll definitely look you up.Sorry if my usage of the "C" word offends you so much it's pretty popular here in knacker-ville,can't teach an old dog new tricks I guess.

Well I must return to my cardboard box,it's raining now and I have clothes to wash before I hit the hay

Cya :-)
vavavoom   Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:35 am GMT
long live the SOUTH AFRICAN accent!! has that been mentioned yet?? i hate it when people confuse it for the british accent because it is very different (especially with a deep afrikaans accent). SA has such a grrrrrreat lingo too that is very unique (i.e. braai, bru, howzit, etc.).
[some/most] americans can be so ignorant when it comes to other cultures that they can't even recognize that SA is so much more than just savannas and blacks, contrary to popular usa belief. south africans, listen up america, even have an awesome accent!! which is distinguishable when a culturally appreciative ear listens to it. i'm not a hater, but usa needs to realize that usa isn't the only place in the world. enough about america, here here south africa!!!! we love you!!!
a friendly hello howzit to SA!!
peace out. and may SA be forever beautiful.

ALSO LIKE:
scottish +
aussie accent

DON'T CARE MUCH FOR:
deep south american accents
vavavoom   Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:37 am GMT
** correction **

deep SOUTHERN american accents (i.e. from the southern states--not the south american continent) :)
Eve   Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:21 pm GMT
The UK's population is about 60,000,000 nowadays.
Eve   Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:22 pm GMT
The UK's populatin is more than 70,000,000 ?
Please anybody, answer me!!!
Amerigo   Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:25 pm GMT
I like hungarian accent, but I don't wanna speak german. I hate that language! In my opinion franch is also good, too.
mark   Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:32 pm GMT
Uk population was 60,609,153 as of July 2006,obviously increased since then.London population 7.5 Million as of 2005,that's almost twice the population of the Ireland(4,062,235),funnily enough everytime I go into dublin city center it feels overcrowded,I can imagine what London is like :-)but then dublin is a hell of lot smaller.
ESL   Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:15 pm GMT
Oh, come on guyz, will this kinda conversation do any good ta ya guyz ..... just because u like an accent and dislike another ,u r not gonna change anything out here..... so stop readin this shit and get backto ur fckn jobs
CORTNEY   Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:09 pm GMT
1 KIND OV AXENT I REALLY HATE IS AMERICAN AND I LUV BAHAMIAN ACCENT ALL DAT IS ENGLISH(jus so u no).
seppo   Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:45 am GMT
I hate the saffer accent. It's like Germans/ Dutch speaking fluent English. Very grating on the ears. Like a donkey backed in to a woodchipper. And as if USA culture isn't learned by saffers on TV. What a pack of hypocrites.
Guest   Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:56 am GMT
>> I hate the saffer accent. <<

What's a "saffer"?
Uriel   Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:39 pm GMT
Apparently South African, although it's not a term I've ever heard before. But seppo is always full of sunshine and joy, and he loves to spread it around.
sayaka   Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:42 am GMT
I love the accent of japanese people talking english the first time!

I don't really like the accent of texas..
Noel   Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:51 pm GMT
accents I hate(in no particular order)

Irish - sounds like someone speaking with food in their mouth (especially the furthur south of Ireland,like cork,kerry)they speak in the same tone,very low,plain,depressing.cork - kerry people tend to speak very low and fast.

american - too loud,they feel the need to get their points across at the expense of bursting other peoples eardrums,they are told as children "you're the best,you can do it,reach for your dreams" sort of parental encouragement which produces overconfidence in later life,this bugs me (mainly because I'm jealous,a sad little man, and was repressed as a child,either of those).

German - reminds me of hitler(and not a reference to john cleeses joke)everytime I hear them speak,sorry......

other accents I dislike,french,spanish,mexican,Italian,chinese,japanese,I guess a lot but I don't have time to list them all...
--------------------------------------------------------------------

accents I like,well just one,the british accent,lets face it people we invented english,yes english the most popular and used language in the world.

(Flame shield -----ON !!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
accents I like
O'Bruadair   Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:17 am GMT
Joel

“american - too loud,they feel the need to get their points across at the expense of bursting other peoples eardrums,they are told as children "you're the best, you can do it,reach for your dreams" sort of parental encouragement which produces overconfidence in later life”

Pains me (a little) to say so but I think you are right here. Especially if you are talking about the “average American”. I don’t think it’s really overconfidence though. It’s more like arrogance.

Most Southerners (I’m talking here in a cultural and not a just a geographic sense) don’t speak that way and don’t have that attitude. Leastways not among strangers.

“…..lets face it people we invented English”

I have to agree with that also. Always thought it the height of arrogance for yankee-Americans to come up with something called “Standard American English”. Ain’t that somewhat of an oxymoron? Shouldn’t it just be Standard English (the Queen’s English)?

Don’t get me wrong here! I am not saying that I speak or write English very well (and yeah, I’m stating the obvious). Just making an observation.