"English is based on Latin"

John   Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:35 pm GMT
Why do I hear this so often and who started saying it?
latin   Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:40 am GMT
People that noticed that English's grammar is based on Latin to a certain extent. For example, ending a sentence with a preposition in English is not allowed, because it is not allowed in Latin. Also, English has a huge amount of Latin loan-words in it, especially via Norman French, which is derived from Latin.
Guest   Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:14 am GMT
<<Why do I hear this so often and who started saying it? >>

Because those who say it only ***wish*** English were based on Latin to satisfy some weird latinocentric desire of theirs.
Instead of trying to change English to their liking, which they will never be able to do, they should just forlet it and move to Italy where they can speak Italian and be happy. Leave English to those who truly love it.

<<People that noticed that English's grammar is based on Latin to a certain extent.>>

English grammar is based on Latin to ZERO extent. English is a Teutonic language, not an Italic language. There are no Italic grammatical features found in English. English grammar is purely Germanic-derived.

<<For example, ending a sentence with a preposition in English is not allowed,>>

Incorrect. Ending a sentence with a preposition in English is 100% correct, and is a feature of Teutonic languages in general--the language family to which English belongs. Those weirdos who would like to make English come from Latin have attempted to instill this in the past, to a fruitless end. The attempt died with them needless to say.

Simply put, English is not based on Latin. English is based on Anglo-Saxon dialects and Old Norse. Latin is the base only of certain individual words, which, correct, there are many of.
guest   Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:28 am GMT
The answer is simple. The people who say it are idiots.
Guesty   Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:59 am GMT
I think they are correct if they change their statement to a less all-encompassing "some aspects of English are based on Latin". The most obvious aspect based on Latin is coining new words. For centuries English speaking scientists have been inventing and discovering new things, and when they want to find a word for something the first thing they do is open up their Latin and their Greek dictionaries and start sticking together suffixes and the like.
Guest   Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:47 am GMT
<<The most obvious aspect based on Latin is coining new words. For centuries English speaking scientists have been inventing and discovering new things, and when they want to find a word for something the first thing they do is open up their Latin and their Greek dictionaries and start sticking together suffixes and the like. >>

Often, the elements used are Greek or Latin based, but the formation of the words is in no way Latin. A Roman citizen would not be able to decipher the word "television" or "radiology".

Though the elements are Latin, the practice of word-formation is still very much a native English function--only the shed from whence we draw the spare parts has shifted.
guest   Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:11 am GMT
English-speaking people generally doesn't like to be part of the germanic world. A lot of them would try by every mean to spread the idea that English is somehow linked to the latin/romance word. When they can't manage to do it thay tend to try to spread the ide that romance language (french in particular) are not true romance... it is a way for those English speaker to fell closer to french culture that they secretly admire and found superior to their germanic culture (for no rational reason).
Jimmy Hoffa   Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:35 pm GMT
Germanic = Hitler

That's all reason needed.
Leasnam   Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:46 pm GMT
<<English-speaking people generally doesn't like to be part of the germanic world.>>

WHAT?? Not true. We just don't like being associated with Nazi's. We know we are firmly in the Germanic pack, which is why we like to establish our own unique selfhood.

<<A lot of them would try by every mean to spread the idea that English is somehow linked to the latin/romance word.>>

This tends to be more a British 19th cent. thing. We don't usually think this way today and do not want to. Only scientists and some Literature-type leed might feel this way.

<<When they can't manage to do it thay tend to try to spread the ide that romance language (french in particular) are not true romance...>>

HAHA, simple deduction. Nice try at psychology. Don't quit your day job.

<<it is a way for those English speaker to fell closer to french culture that they secretly admire and found superior to their germanic culture>>

um, no.
We are more the cultural leaders than the French are. We only use you for recreation, and as a stamp for selling more products (--a very Germanic concept and skill)

<<(for no rational reason). >>
Agreed.
Guest   Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:21 pm GMT
<<We only use you for recreation, and as a stamp for selling more products (--a very Germanic concept and skill) >>

Please explain.
Leasnam   Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:08 pm GMT
<<<<We only use you for recreation, and as a stamp for selling more products (--a very Germanic concept and skill) >>
Please explain. >>

Well, take for instance terms containing "French" in the name--French fries, French kiss, French nails--anything and everything, regardless if it's truly "French" or not, is tagged as "French" in order to up its appeal (make it more marketworthy) because French is associated with things fancy or extravagant--a longtime mindset held by Anglophones that was at one time partially based on reality. No longer though, but we persist in it because without it what would we do? Our universe would collapse :\

Also, here in the US, there is so much hype about Italy and anything Italian. It's as if the media, commerce and the Italian Tourism Dept. are inundating the public with these "idyllic" weenings and images of Italy. Even commercials for MARGARINE are set in sexy Mediterranean settings with models plugging products. Look at Bertolli commercials--Ridiculous (though entertaining I must admit. I actually kinda like them :), but they are false. This is strictly an American thing. It's not true. This is what has happened as a result of a few people getting a hold of marketing power back in the 60s and telling us what is good according to their own beliefs and feelings. Now *their* ideas have become our own (not mine though. I think for myself)

I'm not anti-Italy, but it's no paradise, no better than a lot of other places in the world. But Americans are so brainwashed to think of it as "cultural", "idyllic", "quaint", "antiquitous" that they don't realise and can't see how filthy it is there, how unimpressive. Their *ideas* supercede their reason. It's like being in love, or having a crush--you don't see the truth for what you *want* to see, or in this case what others want you to see. It's a Machine. A well-oiled and sadly effective Machine.
Leasnam   Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:18 pm GMT
<<It's like being in love, or having a crush--you don't see the truth for what you *want* to see, or in this case what others want you to see.>>

I believe too that human beings need this kind of ideal in a way as a surety. It's as if it gives us a footing to stand on, and it fulfills an innate requirement in our psyche, but it just amazes me. If it were not French-Italian it would be something else for us to go gah-gah and drool over. The French and Italians must really think we are some kind of dummies, but why would they care? -- they are getting all our $$'s so it's a mutually beneficial arrangement...
Guest   Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:23 pm GMT
I see. Interesting perspective, and one I've not heard before.
latin   Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:59 pm GMT
The average English-speaker doesn't even know what the word "Germanic" means. Telling them that English is "Germanic" wouldn't mean a thing to them unless you explained what the Germanic language family is. Most would have no idea that English is related to German, or that Dutch and the Scandinavian languages and Yiddish are Germanic and derive from the same language that English is. The reason that many people believe that English is a Latin-based language, or closely related to Spanish, is they're constantly told "such and so word is from Latin", or wow "English and Spanish are so similar and have so many cognates [sic]." Also, I've heard some people even say that Latin is the basis of *all* languages! Most people haven't a clue as to how languages have evolved. So it's not too surprising that many believe that.
K. T.   Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:04 pm GMT
Leasnam,

Have you spent much time outside of Rome? Italy IS beautiful. Italians are no dummies. They have created a lot of beautiful things over the years and their language is extremely beautiful. I have a positive image of Italians. Yes, I know that there are pickpockets in Rome. Watch out in areas frequented by tourists. But what amazes me about Italians is their sense of beauty. They make beautiful machines and beautiful parts for machines.

France is used as a symbol for what is sexy in the world-lingerie or sensual-eating and perfume. It's not surprising as clothing, cuisine and the perfume industry are important.

When a country is a leader in a certain industry, it's probably for a reason.