"English is based on Latin"

K. T.   Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:06 pm GMT
"Also, I've heard some people even say that Latin is the basis of *all* languages!"

Hilarious. I may have heard this as well.
Average English Speaker   Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:07 pm GMT
<<The average English-speaker doesn't even know what the word "Germanic" means.>>

Gee, thanks.

<<Telling them that English is "Germanic" wouldn't mean a thing to them unless you explained what the Germanic language family is.>>

So what you're saying is that you agree that English is NOT Latin-based, to the contrary of what many English speakers think, to their shame.

<<The reason that many people believe that English is a Latin-based language, or closely related to Spanish, is they're constantly told "such and so word is from Latin", or wow "English and Spanish are so similar and have so many cognates [sic]." >>

Then it's a lack of knowledge on their part. Shame on them.
tchulio   Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:48 am GMT
<<
I believe too that human beings need this kind of ideal in a way as a surety. It's as if it gives us a footing to stand on, and it fulfills an innate requirement in our psyche, but it just amazes me. If it were not French-Italian it would be something else for us to go gah-gah and drool over. The French and Italians must really think we are some kind of dummies, but why would they care? -- they are getting all our $$'s so it's a mutually beneficial arrangement... >>

<<but they are false. This is strictly an American thing. It's not true. This is what has happened as a result of a few people getting a hold of marketing power>>

Actually it is not strictly American. It happens all over the world. The language that is idealised around much of the world is English, and America is often presented as ideal and perfect, you know , the 'American dream'. Well, America has its own problems and is far from perfect, so it's the same situation.
As for going gah-gah and drooling, what do you think of the way people look up to America how they do? I must say I often find it how you said, I think of them as dummies for, for example, wanting to sing in English even though they aren't native speakers. Or when you're walking down the street in some obscure country and yet every one is wearing shirts with English slogans on them. But yeah, I don't really care too much.
guest guest   Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:24 am GMT
" <<English-speaking people generally doesn't like to be part of the germanic world.>>
WHAT?? Not true. We just don't like being associated with Nazi's. "

What nazis have to see with being germanic?? Dictators have existed in all cultures... Mussolini, Franco were not germanic. Do people who love Italy or Italian things are suspected to be secretly mossolinian fascists?? No. People usually associated German things with nazis, but never Italian things to mussolini, Spanish things to Franco, etc. just because in English speaking cultures, Italian or Spanish things are seen as more "attractive", "sexy", "cool", etc. than German things (and so "germanic" things as a whole).
I think that the fact of associating Germanic things with the country called "Germany", and Germany with Hitler is a way for some English people to have an excuse of not wishing to associating themselves with the Germanic-speaking world. (world that is not even bases on Germany, This country being only one germanic country among many others, and probably not the most representative of all. English-speaking people tend to think that "germanic" relates espcially to Germany, because of the name "germany" was coined to name the new empire country born in 19th century. If, like many other languages, English had adopted a name like "Alemany", or "Tedescland", or "Deutshland", this confusion between Germany and the whole Germanic world would not had heppened)

" We know we are firmly in the Germanic pack, which is why we like to establish our own unique selfhood "

While I of course agree that English-speaking nations such as US, English Canada, Australia, UK, etc are of course firmly in the cultural germanic side of the world, I notive since a long time that many of the people of these country are not aware of it, of not wishing to.
Maybe yourself, but many people from Anglophone countries (especially in the US, but also in England) are not aware of being part of the cultural germanic world, or at least prefer not being aware of this, even when they more or less inconciously feel that they are.
I'll expect to this affirmation some usual reactions such as "we are not germanic because we are a mix of so many cultures in the US", "most of our vocabulary come from latin", " we are a mixed people"... Of course the population of the US is made from imigrants from many nations, a big part of them were not germanic ones (even if the greatest part of it was from Germany)... the fact is that those imigrants, whatever they keept a affectional link to their culture of origins have with time associated themselves in a society base upon a English cultural legacy, a germanic one.

" This tends to be more a British 19th cent. thing. We don't usually think this way today and do not want to. Only scientists and some Literature-type leed might feel this way. "

This is not the way I felt it reading many of posts made by Anglo Americans on internet language forums such as this one. Maybe it is because those site concerns "literature-type"-centrered kind of people.

"The average English-speaker doesn't even know what the word "Germanic" means. Telling them that English is "Germanic" wouldn't mean a thing to them unless you explained what the Germanic language family is. Most would have no idea that English is related to German, or that Dutch and the Scandinavian languages and Yiddish are Germanic and derive from the same language that English is. "

I don't know it is concerns "most" English-speakers, but it surely does concerns a big part of them, as we can see in internet language forums, (also some my own experiences in US families, part of the educated ones, who thought English was latin-based). This belief (or which of belief) is widely seen on you tube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvA4AXsY924

The funny thing is how many of these videos try to support the idea that english natural linguistic group is not among the other germanic languages, but among romance ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoyLlQq5HOo

It was the same on this board, with so many threads like "does english sounds like the other germanic languages?". like if those who asked that question, just suddenly realized that their language is linked to German and the other germanic languages, but in a last tentative of reassure themselves that their "germanicness" doesn't goes as far as making their language sounding like the other germanic languages... what an unbearable idea to them it seems. But the reality.

" The reason that many people believe that English is a Latin-based language, or closely related to Spanish, is they're constantly told "such and so word is from Latin", or wow "English and Spanish are so similar and have so many cognates [sic]." Also, I've heard some people even say that Latin is the basis of *all* languages! "

Yes. I think this way of thought is the basis of many threads we saw here. It seems that it is widespread in the English-speaking world that it is somehow "better" to have a cultural (linguistic in that case) link with the romance/latin world than with the rest of the germanic world to which they belong (I'm sure i'll have some violent reactions saying that they belong to the germanic world, it is understandable because the ide that latin/romance cultures are supposed to be more attractive is spreading in their minds since quite a long time now). It is a way of getting a part of the classical cultures cake that are supposed to be the origin of the so-called "western civilisation"... accepting that English-based cultures are much more germanic ones that romance/latin ones is understoof that many English-speaking people as a way of saying that they would be "barbarians" or "nazis"... such a thinking is very sad and very unfair for the brothers cultures of English-speaking cultures taht are the German, Dutch or Scandinavian ones. Those cultures are the ones that today lead the world, the economy, the medias, the language, the values, etc. Nothing to be ashamed of. You don't need to have latin cultural roots to be a great civilisation.
guest guest   Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:46 pm GMT
Does nobody want to comment on my post?
la   Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:07 pm GMT
I think that people from Anglophone countries tend to think of their culture as being unique, and not part of a larger group. Probably because the countries with English culture and language tend to be either islands, or gigantic, or both. Many people are unaware of who settled England, and do not know that it was people from Germany. Most, well actually many, unless they've been to Germany or the Netherlands don't realize just how similar those countries are. Most people do not hear "oh such and so word is Germanic". All they hear is that "this scientific term comes from Greek or Latin". Then they take Spanish and think. "My, my, it is so similar to English."
guest guest   Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:34 pm GMT
" Then they take Spanish and think. "My, my, it is so similar to English." "

I've some difficulties to understand how an English speaker could find spanish to be "so similar to english" ... everything is so different, well both are indo-european, and exepted the words that english borrowded from french there are almost no similarities between those languages, at least not more than between two indo-european languages from different groups.

" Does nobody want to comment on my post? "

I don't why thid person who said that in my name...
la   Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:44 pm GMT
>> and exepted the words that english borrowded from french there are almost no similarities between those languages, at least not more than between two indo-european languages from different group <<

That's precisely why they think they're so similar. The borrowed words from French. Even people who take German--the grammar seems more different, even though English and German are more closely related. The grammar of Spanish is similar enough and easy to learn. German grammar on the other hand is much more difficult and more similar to much earlier forms of English, that are very unfamiliar to most modern English speakers. Also the cognates seem almost completely unrecognizable unless they're pointed out. With Spanish, the French derivatives in English are so similar and so numerous. Most English speakers could read a scientific text in Spanish with very little study--not so in German.
Guest   Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:55 pm GMT
I've honestly never once encountered a British person who thought that English was based on Latin. That might be something that some Americans are mistaken about, but very few would make that mistake here. I think that most British and probably Australians too, since msot of them are of British origin, are at the very least vaguely aware of its 'Saxon' origins.
Leasnam   Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:08 pm GMT
<<With Spanish, the French derivatives in English are so similar and so numerous. Most English speakers could read a scientific text in Spanish with very little study--not so in German. >>

Really? Have you ever studies Spanish? If not, please relate (--that is, do not simply point out cognates and words that any Modern Western Indo-European speaker would recognize, but translate) the following scientific article for us...

"Este documento tiene el propósito de brindar una orientación básica/didáctica en cuanto a los criterios científicos-técnicos para la elaboración y desarrollo deprocesos de investigación. Que como tales, deben cumplir con los requerimientos y condiciones conceptuales y metodológicas que permitan la validez científica ysocial de los trabajos de investigación. Este documento desarrolla puntualmente los contenidos mínimos necesarios en un proyecto y en un informe, describiendo brevemente y con la mayor claridad posible lo que debe incluirse en cada apartado de cada uno de esos documentos. Es una contribución didáctica al desarrollo de estos procesos propios de la investigación científica.Recordemos previamente algunas cuestiones básicas como introducción a la parte puramente operativa. La metodología de investigación científica es un cuerpo de conocimiento consolidado en la actualidad a partir de todos los desarrollosgenerados a lo largo de todo el siglo XX. A diferencia de otros cuerpos deconocimiento que se hallan en permanente evolución (tecnología, administración, economía, medicina, etc.), la metodología de investigación -por ser laherramienta para desarrollar conocimiento- es más bien estable, convencional con criterios estandarizados y transversales que permiten que el conocimiento seacomunicable en diferentes campos disciplinares, contextos y regiones del planeta. Es el idioma universal de la ciencia que posibilita el avance en todos los campos, el intercambio y transferencia de tecnología, el consenso y el trabajomultidisciplinario como tal esencial para el avance del conocimiento.La investigación científica es por su naturaleza un conocimiento de tipoinstrumental es un saber hacer con el conocimiento disciplinar para producirideas-constructos nuevos, modelos teóricos, procesos de innovación, en definitiva, evidencia teórica y empírica que contribuya a una mejor comprensión de la realidad y facilite la detección y resolución de problemas concretos. En estesentido la investigación está siempre vinculada a la realidad, al campo deconocimiento disciplinar de aplicación, al contexto cultural, social y político en que se desarrolla y se convierte en la fuente de generación de pensamiento libre y útil, cuya difusión aproxima a científicos de diferentes campos disciplinares, enriquece la formación universitaria y orienta a actores sociales relevantes. La investigación, en términos operativos, orienta al investigador en surazonamiento y aproximación a la realidad, ordena sus acciones y aporta criterios de rigor científico de supervisión de todo el proceso. En tanto que, investigarsupone la responsabilidad de producir una lectura real de las cuestiones deinvestigación y demostrar la contribución efectiva. En consecuencia, lainvestigación implica considerar algunas cuestiones clave:La ciencia es producto de acciones razonadas y sistemáticas que permiten descubrir nuevos elementos esclarecedores y significativos en la realidad.Es resultado de la reflexión profunda sobre evidencia teórica y empírica para entender la realidad, analizar su estructura y dinámica interna para explorar nuevos componentes y nuevas maneras de entenderla y operarsobre ella. Esto supone el dominio de la literatura especializada, tantocomo, la apertura a nuevas formas de concebir la realidad desde la teoría y proponer de modo fundamentado nuevos marcos de referencia másprecisos y útiles que abren vías de desarrollo de la realidad.Se debe identificar y concebir la realidad desde un razonamientológico vinculado a un campo disciplinar específico.Los desarrollos científicos avanzan por canales básicamente distintos como son los campos propios de conocimiento, sin embargo, es cada vez más evidente el aporte que generan los procesos que vinculan dos o máscampos de conocimiento, dentro de lo que se conoce comointerdisciplinariedad. Equipos multidisciplinarios dialogando sobre ideasprovenientes de orígenes distintos pero que se encuentran para construirun marco común y rico de comprensión de la realidad. En todo caso, el pensamiento y manipulación racional de ideas es la base obligada para el desarrollo de la investigación científica."
dzadz   Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm GMT
They will not really understand the meaning but they will recognise so many words they will actually be shocked if it's the first time they see it. For example, from this:

"Este documento tiene el propósito de brindar una orientación básica/didáctica en cuanto a los criterios científicos-técnicos para la elaboración y desarrollo deprocesos de investigación. Que como tales, deben cumplir con los requerimientos y condiciones conceptuales y metodológicas que permitan la validez científica ysocial de los trabajos de investigación."

They will recognise:
documento
orientación
básica
didáctica
criterios
científicos
técnicos
elaboración
procesos
investigación
condiciones
conceptuales
metodológicas
permitan
validez
científica
social
investigación

Sure the meaning might be slightly different in Spanish. Sure they might not understand, but these in your face vocabulary similarities are much more noticeable than grammatical similarities, especially given that English speakers don't even know hardly anything about English grammar.
la   Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:03 pm GMT
>> Really? Have you ever studies Spanish? If not, please relate (--tha s, do not simply point out cognates and words that any Modern Western Indo-European speaker would recognize, but translate the following scientific article for us.. <<

By very little study, I didn't mean reading a Spanish text book for an hour. I meant that if you've studied it for at least several months, you'll still probably have a hard time reading most forms of Poetry, or even a children's book, but reading a scientific text or in some cases even a newspaper. I've studied both Spanish and German for the same amount of time so far (1 year), and I can pick up a newspaper in Spanish and get quite a bit out of it, whereas I can barely understand anything in a German newspaper. Also with the German newspaper I have to write down my translation, whereas with Spanish, I can just read it like I read English, and still walk away with an understanding of what it said.
Leasnam   Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:32 pm GMT
<<whereas I can barely understand anything in a German newspaper. Also with the German newspaper I have to write down my translation, whereas with Spanish, I can just read it like I read English, and still walk away with an understanding of what it said. >>

German, yes. I can understand that. How about Dutch? Do you think it's evenhard with Spanish?

"Wat zijn wetenschappelijke tijdschriften?
In de gamma-wetenschappen vind je informatie in de eerste plaats in artikels gepubliceerd in wetenschappelijke tijdschriften. Dit zijn de primaire (dus de belangrijkste) informatiebronnen.

Secundaire bronnen vind je normaal gesproken in boeken.

Een primaire bron levert informatie rechtstreeks van een onderzoeker komt en is dus de directe weergave van een wetenschappelijk onderzoek. (Gamma)wetenschappers publiceren resultaten van hun onderzoek in de eerste plaats in wetenschappelijke tijdschriften. Dit heeft te maken met de aard van de wetenschap.

Vastgelegde kennis in de wetenschap heeft immers een universeel karakter. Overal waar aan onderzoek gedaan wordt, gelden dezelfde wetenschappelijke wetmatigheden. Informatie is dus niet gebonden aan culturele en/of wetenschappelijke beperkingen. Vandaar ook het sterk internationale karakter van wetenschappelijke literatuur.

Het belang van de wetenschappelijke tijdschriften als primaire informatiebron heeft ook te maken met het specifieke kwaliteitscontrolesysteem dat in de wetenschappelijke wereld gecreëerd werd. Wetenschappelijke tijdschriften publiceren niet zomaar alles. Een onderzoeker die een artikel wil laten verschijnen, moet dit ter beoordeling voorleggen aan een aantal collega'-onderzoekers. Pas als deze jury zijn fiat heeft gegeven, zal de uitgever het artikel in het tijdschrift opnemen. In vakkringen is dit controlesysteem bekend als het peer-review-systeem.

Niet alle tijdschriften die beweren aan peer-review te doen doen dat ook effectief. Daarom zijn er "lijsten" ontwikkeld met titels van tijdschriften die er in de wetenschappelijke wereld toe doen. Deze lijsten worden geleverd door onder andere National Libray of medicine, ISI, etc.

Soms worden tijdschriftartikels ook gebruikt om secundaire informatie te publiceren. Deze artikels, de zogenaamde overzichtsartikels, bevatten een synthese van de ontwikkelingen in een bepaalde discipline, samengesteld door gereputeerde onderzoekers binnen hun domein. Ze zijn wetenschappelijk zeer waardevol, maar ze zijn niet het resultaat van oorspronkelijk wetenschappelijk onderzoek. Deze artikels kunnen zeer interessant zijn precies omdat ze naar primaire research-artikels verwijzen. Voor je thesis kunnen review-artikels zeer belangrijke hulpmiddelen zijn, maar de zoektocht mag er niet bij eindigen. Het eindpunt zijn de primaire research-artikels.

Historiek
In de 17e eeuw legden de Transactions of the London society de basis voor dit wetenschappelijk systeem van informatie uitwisseling. Het systeem was gebaseerd op gelijkheid en werkte als een republiek. Het was bijzonder moeilijk binnen de 'groep van gelijken' te geraken, maar eens je binnen was werd elke wetenschapper enkel geëvalueerd op zijn wetenschappelijke relevantie door gelijken (=collega wetenschappers). Economische en ideologische motieven speelden strikt genomen geen rol. De wetenschappelijk informatie sprak (in theorie) voor zich.

Met het groeien van de wetenschappelijke wereld in de negentiende eeuw groeide het besef dat het eigenlijke uitgeven van tijdschriften geen taak voor wetenschappers was en werd het uitgeven afgestoten naar commerciële bedrijven. Door deze commercialisering kon dus in principe iedereen een wetenschappelijk tijdschrift uitgeven en dat bracht een stijging van het aantal titels teweeg waardoor het moelijker werd de "wetenschappelijkheid" (dwz. evaluatie door gelijken) van de artikels te garanderen. Daarom werden er lijsten opgesteld met titels van bonafide tijdschriften, de zogenaamde core-journals. Deze lijst telde in de beginjaren niet meer dan een duizendtal titels en werd unaniem beschouwd als de enige lijst die telde.

Vandaar dat elke wetenschappelijke instelling dezelfde tijdschriften kocht en de markt zeer inelastisch was. Zelfs met sterk stijgende prijzen, zouden de abonnees immers blijven betalen omdat ze niet anders konden.

In de jaren 70 begon uitgever Maxwell plots nieuwe wetenschappelijke tijdschriften uit te geven. Het ging om tijdschriften waarvan de titel steevast begon met "International journal of" waarna een bepaalde discipline volgde. Maxwell nodigde gekende wetenschappers uit om deze tjdschriften te steunen door hen lid te maken van het redactiecomité.

Uiteindelijk moest het ISI de boom aan nieuwe tijdschriften opnemen in de lijst.

In de jaren die daarop volgden liet Maxwell de prijzen fors stijgen, zonder dat abonnees iets konden doen: de prijzen bleven stijgen maar de noodzaak om alle tijdschriften te kopen die op de lijst stonden bleef.

De wetenschappelijke wereld werkte niet langer als een republiek wat betreft de uitwisseling van informatie maar als een plutocratie, geregeerd door uitgevers en gehinderd door de financiële mogelijkheden van de wetenschappelijke instellingen.

Dat wetenschappelijke instellingen gegijzeld worden door uitgevers is geen fictie: zo was het abonnementsgeld voor Brain research in 2003 goed voor 18000 €, een bedrag waarmee toch al een meer dan bescheiden gezinswagen kan worden gekocht.

Deze situatie noopte tot de boude uitspraak dat "uitgevers vampieren zijn die het bloed zuigen uit het informatie-systeem dat in de 17e eeuw ontworpen werd." (J.P. Guedin op een lezing 25/11/2003)

De toekomst?
Met de huidige stand van zaken lijken overheden steeds maar meer te moeten betalen voor wetenschappelijk onderzoek. Eerst betalen ze het onderwijs van de studenten, daarna het loon als studenten onderzoekers worden die wetenschappelijk onderzoek verrichten en de artikels leveren en daar bovenop nog eens de enorm dure abonnementen op de tijdschriften waar die artikels uiteindelijk in verschijnen."

De groei van het internet van de laatste jaren stemde velen optimistisch omdat het de mogelijkheid biedt aan wetenschappers hun informatie gratis te verspreiden. In praktijk bleven uitgevers echter grotendeels eigenaar van het auteursrecht en blijven de prijzen stijgen.

In een reactie hierop lanceerde de academische wereldwijd het Open Archives project dat het principe huldigt dat wetenschappelijke informatie voor iedereen gratis moet zijn. Ook de centrale bibliotheek van de universiteit Gent werkt mee aan het project, onder meer door onerzoekers de gelegenheid te geven hun publicaties in het digital institutional archive>/a> te plaatsen. "
Leasnam   Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:45 pm GMT
In the first few paragraphs I can identify many related words which do not look any less like their English gainparts than do the Spanish (I am excluding couthwise cognates like 'wat', 'in', 'de', tijd', 'vind', 'je', etc):

informatie
plaats
artikels
gepubliceerd
primaire
secundaire
normaal
gesproken ("spoken")
boeken ("books")
directe
publiceren
resultaten
maken ("make")
universeel
karakter
overal ("overall, everywhere")
gedaan ("done")
dus ("thus")
niet gebonden ("not bound")
culturele
internationale
literatuur
Guest   Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:03 pm GMT
Aren't a lot of those words of Latin origin?