[Locked] What Topic Brought You to Antimoon?

K. T.   Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:37 pm GMT
I noticed that Uriel found Antimoon because of her interest in accents. I found Antimoon because I am interested in lexical similarity between languages. What about YOU?
AK   Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:00 pm GMT
Searching for tips on learning how to speak English fluently.
Demotivator   Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:02 am GMT
To demotivate all lurners
Robin Michael   Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:37 am GMT
I was doing research on the Internet on the subject of English as a Foreign Language and Polish.

Some how, I came across the Antimoon method and Supermemo.

I decided to have a look at the Topics to see if I could answer any of the questions that were being asked.

Initially I found the site involved a lot of reading. Over time I have explored the site and read various articles etc. Initially I would not have had much idea of how Topics developed etc. It was quite big step to enter Topics myself. I did this out of a sense of boredom, I was fed up with the existing Topics and I wanted to provoke a response.

Trolls: I remember writing on the subject of 'Trolls'. I was not aware that the word 'Trolls' has a narrow meaning in the world of bulletin boards.

Why do I continue to have an interest in Antimoon?

I think that it is a way of keeping my typing, English, computer, and language skills up to date.
Amabo   Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:37 am GMT
I can't tell you what brought me to Antimoon but I can tell you what's driving me away from it: the precipitate increase in idiotic postings that have little to say of much value about language and represent thinly disguised rants.
Johnny   Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:05 pm GMT
I don't know when I found Antimoon and why, but I think it was while I was looking for something about pronunciation. I liked it here, because there were no prescriptivists and people seemed to know a lot about pronunciation and accents.

Now I just come here to ask some questions every once in a while, or check out if there is something interesting, or just to post something as a way to practice, even though I don't really expect to find anything serious anymore.

This maybe used to be a good little forum, but now it's getting much worse. Now hardly anyone answers questions about language and interesting threads only have a couple of posts. On the other hand, stupid trollish threads about politics or pointless flaming are the most popular, with lots of posts.
Edward Teach   Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:14 pm GMT
I came for the thinly-veiled rants and flaming but these boring ramblings on accents and pronounciation are doing my head in.
This site needs a moderator
Guest   Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:46 pm GMT
I found Antimoon because of the Iraq war. I was googling 'iraq war' and bang - I was in the middle of the fiercest word fight I've ever experienced. I think that thread made me an adrenaline junkie. The thread is long gone of course.
Guest   Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:23 pm GMT
This site has a moderator and he's doing a great job imho. Just remember what was this site like during the Brennus-Lalonde era.
Asker   Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:30 pm GMT
<<This site has a moderator and he's doing a great job imho. Just remember what was this site like during the Brennus-Lalonde era. >>

That's nice of you to say :)
You must love the new moderator like a son.

Who is the current moderator anyway? MJDT?

And what ever happened to Brennus and Josh? Have they moved on?
Guest   Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:42 pm GMT
I love him like a mother.
Guest   Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:10 pm GMT
I found Antimoon because I googled Quebec and this page ranked among the first ones.
Guest   Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:18 pm GMT
>>Who is the current moderator anyway? MJDT? <<

I dunno. But the forum is moderated, posts and threads are being deleted and without much ado. The overall niveau of discussion is higher then before. I have to admit that the quality of topics has degraded substantially though, due to "the precipitate increase in idiotic postings that have little to say of much value about language and represent thinly disguised rants" imho.
Jonathan   Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:19 pm GMT
"niveau"

"niveau"? What is niveau?

We do not have this word in the English language. ?
Bud   Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:22 pm GMT
<<"niveau"? What is niveau? >>

Poster means "level"

That's what the poster was trying to say, I believe