Should there be a new spanish reform?

Petronila   Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:54 pm GMT
[dʒ]---de (Br.Portuguese)
[d]---di, de (Italian, French)
both better than [ð]---de (Spanish)

I think that you don't know well how Spanish is pronounced. Despite [d] and [ð] don't have minimal pairs in Spanish, they are clearly distinguishable in spoken language. For example "de" has [d] whereas "cada" is pronounced with [ð].
Guest   Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:05 pm GMT
<<Who told you that? Spanish is spoken by over 400 million population (not 500, 600, or more), certainly not more than the rest ones combined. And it almost has nothing to do with my suggestion about abolishing the question mark ¿ (? is enough).
>>

According to English wikipedia Spanish is spoken by 47% of Romance people.
Guest   Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:16 pm GMT
? mark is certainly enough in English where word order inversion exists and thanks to that you know from the begining of a sentence that it's a question, but in Spanish that inversion is more weak and it not always happens . Of course you can figure out that a Spanish sentence is a question without the ¿ mark. But the same way you could give stress to the Spanish words without the acute accents. Spanish has its own ways to express interrogation, stress and so on. Many foreign students indeed consider them quite helpful because they make Spanish easier.
muad_dib   Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:07 pm GMT
güiski vs whiskey is so retarded.
so is ¿
so is saying e instead of y or u instead of o
also saying britney espears
there is no native spanish speaker on earth who can prounonce the word schwarzenegger correctly, dont ask them to do that or they can choke and die and it will be your fault
particularily in iberian peninsula people have round tongues like parrots its a sin to finish the whole words and when someone says cerveza it sends half a gallon of spit in your direction
Guest   Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:11 pm GMT
güiski vs whiskey is so retarded.

It's güisqui, not güiski, you retarded.
muad_dib   Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:11 pm GMT
that's even worse then
Guest   Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:13 pm GMT
Worse why? Those w and k are worse, they are barbaric letters.
Guest   Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm GMT
There should be an English reform so this language gets rid of the w and k This way English would increase its Latin feeling, specially when writen. For example:

whisky -> uisqui (looks more Latin)

where -> uere

and so on...
muad_dib   Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:29 pm GMT
why does english has to have a latin feeling? why do anything has to have a latin feeling
aesthete   Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:58 pm GMT
<<There should be an English reform so this language gets rid of the w and k>>

Actually, it needs to get rid of all the over angular letters. This includes x, y, v, k, w, and probably all capitals. Here is the sentence from the prior post, rewritten to eliminate these ugly letters:

"why does english has to have a latin feeling? why do anything has to have a latin feeling"

"uuhi does english habhe to habhe a latin feeling? uuhi does anithing habhe to habhe a latin feeling?"

(no attempt to be phonetic here -- just letter replacement y-> i, w -> uu, v -> bh, x -> cc, k -> q)
Guest   Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:59 pm GMT
I uud replace "x" bi "cs" as x sounds lique cs.
Kaeops   Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:33 am GMT
both better than [ð]---de (Spanish)

I think that you don't know well how Spanish is pronounced. Despite [d] and [ð] don't have minimal pairs in Spanish, they are clearly distinguishable in spoken language. For example "de" has [d] whereas "cada" is pronounced with [ð].

//Intervocalic softening of consonants [b,d,g] is common in Continental Portuguese too, but absent in Brazilian Pt.