"The US is Britain's best project."

Xuxa   Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:51 am GMT
As on Brit told me the other day.
USA @ Britain   Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:09 am GMT
"You are my creator, but I am your master—obey!"

"All men hate the wretched; how then, must I be hated, who am miserable beyond all living things! Yet you, my creator, detest and spurn me, thy creature, to whom thou art bound by ties only dissoluble by the annihilation of one of us."
Edward Teach   Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:28 am GMT
The Chinese want to help the people of Tibet

As a Chinese girl told me a few weeks ago.

In that case if you ever see me in need of help....

STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME
Guest   Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:24 am GMT
What would the Canadians and Australians think if they read this? These countries were under British control for much more time than USA was. In fact the British Queen is the head of state of Canada and Australia.
.   Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:55 am GMT
Well, it certainly is! If not for America, the UK would have been just another country in Europe like France or Germany...
Edward Teach   Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:18 am GMT
Prepare for an swarm of outraged French and Germans.
outraged French   Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:51 am GMT
Indeed isn't UK just another European country like France or Germany?Furthermore, isn't UK a second class European country with limited influence and power on Europe whereas France and Germany are the European powerhouses?.
-Mjdt-   Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:51 am GMT
Well, Bismarck said something to the effect that one of the defining factors in the 20th Century is that North America is English speaking. I think he had a good point, if you assume that one of the main reasons behind Germany's aggression was the desire to build a German speaking empire (the third reich) to rival the English speaking one.
-Mjdt-   Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:07 pm GMT
That's a side point though. I read somewhere that the UK receives an extra £10 Billion a year because of English's status as the dominant world language.
The most original name   Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:57 pm GMT
<<The US is Britain's best project>>

The US is Britain and Spain's best project.

USA has a mother and a father: England and Spain.
-Mjdt-   Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:02 pm GMT
"that one of the defining factors in the 20th Century would be that North America is English speaking"

That is how this should read by the way. Bismarck was making a prediction about what would be the defining factors in the 20th Century.
blanc   Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:44 pm GMT
" Prepare for an swarm of outraged French and Germans. "

why? I'm french and I think what he said is not untrue. What makes England more important than what it is in reality is the fact that its language is the one of the USA. The UK alone won't be a very attractive country, and English wouldn't be the most worldwide used language.

" USA has a mother and a father: England and Spain. "

What does Spain has to see in that matter??? that a big part of nowadays USA territory has been spanish owned doesn't say that it had a major role in the foundation of the political (and cultural) entity that is called the USA: the 13 colonies on which were built the USA, from which US culture spread onto former spanish (and french) territories; had nothing to see with Spain, but were soly ENGLISH-based.
picture this   Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:32 pm GMT
<<" USA has a mother and a father: England and Spain. "

What does Spain has to see in that matter??? that a big part of nowadays USA territory has been spanish owned doesn't say that it had a major role in the foundation of the political (and cultural) entity that is called the USA: the 13 colonies on which were built the USA, from which US culture spread onto former spanish (and french) territories; had nothing to see with Spain, but were soly ENGLISH-based. >>

No, no, this is totally false, don't get ruffled. Spain has nothing to do with the US.

This is merely one lone Brownsville border-Latino's point of view regarding the US. It is the only "US" he knows.

Everyone knows the father of the USA is GERMANY.
blanco   Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:37 pm GMT
Yes, there were 13 English former colonies that became States, only 13.

How many of them were anytime Spanish? At least 30 of them...

There is also an important Historical and political point. Spain helped these colonies against England. All experts say that without the logistic help of Spain, they wouldn't be independent.

Finally, the main cultures of the USA are the Anglo and the Hispanic, and the main languages are English and Spanish.

If Spanish is becoming the second World language is because it is the second language of the USA.
blanco   Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:40 pm GMT
Even the dollar is a Spanish coin, el dolar.