"The US is Britain's best project."

blanc   Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:04 pm GMT
" If Spanish is becoming the second World language is because it is the second language of the USA. "

Spanish is not the second language of the USA. It is the second language in California, Texas or Florida (quite recently, due to imigration), but not the whole US. Spanish didn't not waited to be spread in the USA to be an important world language: spanish was already (with Portuguese) one of the two main world languages in the 15th century; when English was still mainly a peasant language spoken in rural England only.

Spanish has been the most spoken language in the Americans since then; no surprise that it finally is beginning to spread in north America. maybe one day the whole American continent will be united in one culture, and one language; very probably it will be a Spanish-speaking culture.
pt   Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:09 pm GMT
<<spanish was already (with Portuguese) one of the two main world languages in the 15th century>>

Nativos held their own languages and continue to do so to this day. Being the official language of a LatAm nation does not mean everyone speaks it.

<<when English was still mainly a peasant language spoken in rural England only>>

That was then. This is now. What happened, Spanish?
Guest   Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:11 pm GMT
Probably if Spain insisted in keeping southern Canada instead of giving Oregon to UK the whole Americas would be Spanish speaking.
Josh   Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:13 pm GMT
maybe one day the whole American continent will be united in one culture, and one language; very probably it will be a Spanish-speaking culture.

Not if the different Spanish dialects continue diversifying, I think.
Guest   Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:18 pm GMT
Spanish dialects diversifying? Spanish has not even dialects, just diferent variants with some different vocabulary. It's not like German where there are clear dialects, or Brazilian Portuguese. Simple phonetics prevents that.
Wintereis   Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:01 am GMT
Wow, there are some really slow people here. First, Latin American/Hispanic culture in the U.S. has had little more effect within the U.S. than French or German culture. The United States is, as is well known, a hybridized culture which stems predominantly from Brittan. The largest influence on American culture, other than British culture, is African. This is not only demonstrated in the language but also in music and various other cultural indicators.

Having said this, immigration (both legal and illegal) has increased the minor influence of Latin culture already existing within the United States. This is not, as others have suggested, limited to the south-western United States. Florida and New York also have Puerto Rican and Cuban cultural influences and one cannot ignore the effect that the Chicano population has had on cuisine and music throughout all fifty states.

Yet, the U.S. has had major influxes of people from around the world throughout its history, and this has never changed the predominant culture to any large extent. If anything, American culture has a tendency to absorb small aspects of many cultures while staying largely unaltered. This will likely be what occurs with Latin populations. Spanish, as it is, will be a de facto second language in the U.S. It will likely become more important for Americans to learn Spanish as a second language but not necessary or even dominant.

<<Spanish has been the most spoken language in the Americans since then; no surprise that it finally is beginning to spread in North America. Maybe one day the whole American continent will be united in one culture, and one language; very probably it will be a Spanish-speaking culture.>>

(I know that I would definitely fight any cultural influence that states that there is only one continent in the western hemisphere. And, by the way, American in the English language refers to people from the United States of America. When I speak Spanish, I know that it means people from both North and South America. Is it impossible for you to make this linguistic distinction or are you attempting to impose cultural imperialism on the English language?)

As far as the original question, The United States is not the project of England. It hasn't been for a couple of centuries now unless you believe those wild conspiracy theories that maintain that the U.S. is the Queen's military arm, which I don't. If anything, the twentieth and what we have seen of the twenty-first century has shown a larger American cultural influence in Brittan than visa versa. Look at peoples clothes, at music and film. The Beatles didn't invent rock nor did Prince William invent jeans, though he can fill them nicely. Anyway, that is my rant.
Ummm   Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:10 am GMT
Wintereis, you talk about jeans and cheap things like that...

We're taking up the people HIGH UP who never wore jeans in their life.

There are people and then there are People. Sadly, that's how it was, and that's how it is.
Wintereis   Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:38 am GMT
<<Wintereis, you talk about jeans and cheap things like that...

We're taking up the people HIGH UP who never wore jeans in their life.

There are people and then there are People. Sadly, that's how it was, and that's how it is.>>

Ummm . . . that is the dumbest thing I have ever heared in my life. "the People high up". You mean like the future King of England and the President of the United States, can't get much higher up than that. You won't see people in the U.S. participating in all the pomp of a corrination or Opening of Parliment but you will see Prince William in denim, however.

State Opening Of Parliament 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSBuir3NeTA

State of the Union
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN-I0GtVTeg

BIG difference between the two, is there not? So much for your higher up b.s.

Prince William (in jeans) and Prince Harry-Always Brothers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fbalDiaXiI

President Obama throws out first pitch of 2009 All Star Game. (The most powerful man in the world in jeans.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRGK3QfcEqw&feature=fvw

It seems to me that you really aren't in touch with the way it is. Only the dead and nearly dead hang on to such displays. They are certainly largely absent and/or mitigated in the United States.
Ummm   Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:52 am GMT
Oh God, only a person who was spoonfed leftist bullshit could think that by "HIGH UP" I meant the puppets like the President and the King. Why don't you look up statistics on how many families own what percent of America's/Britain's wealth, and then we'll talk.
Wintereis   Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:00 am GMT
Here are the two richest men in the world and also the largest private philanthropists in the world at my and Buffet's old stomping grounds, UNL. Some high rollers dressed down, Ummm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3zBfBs-hBc

What culture are you talking about? Where are these high and mighty "People" of yours.
Guest   Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:44 am GMT
" If Spanish is becoming the second World language is because it is the second language of the USA. "

Yes, it is true. But there is another important point. At this moment there are 4 interesting languages to study. Spanish, French, German and Chinese. Spanish is the easiest foreign language for students.

French and German are in decline and are a little more difficult. Chinese is very difficult. That is also the reason to be Spanish second in France and Germany, after English.

<<Spanish is not the second language of the USA. It is the second language in California, Texas or Florida>>

Spanish is the second language in 42 States, and the first one in New Mexico and Puerto Rico. So, Spanish is the second language of the USA.
Bonky   Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:23 pm GMT
<<Probably if Spain insisted in keeping southern Canada instead of giving Oregon to UK the whole Americas would be Spanish speaking. >>

What about Portuguese?

What is clear is that this Hispanic bozo is sickly and overly positive about how important everyone thinks his language and culture are. It's nice that some can still dream and keep their hopes alive. Just wink, grin and let him rant otherwise you'll be wasting your precious life away. This forum and unfortunate others like it are the only places where this is Hispanic dream are being realized.
Hispanic bonzo   Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:31 pm GMT
Thanks! Gracias!
It's bozo, not bonzo   Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:09 pm GMT
<<Thanks! Gracias! >>

anytime, mate
Anti-bonkies   Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:05 pm GMT
Your condescending answer is stupid. I remember you that the most spoken language of America (you say the Americas) is Spanish, not English.

Besides, Chinese, Spanish, Arabic and Hindi are more spoken as mother tongue than your language, English, only 5th in the World.

Not very impressive.