Is there a gay accent in English?

Edward Teach   Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:20 pm GMT
Those wastrels who dare disagree with damians views on sexuality?
How dare they?
Shuimo   Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:36 pm GMT
Damian in Edinburgh Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:16 pm GMT
Accidentally I posted the response to bubbus twice - I didn't intend to but I suppose it emphasises what I said about those wastrels in here.

Edward Teach Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:20 pm GMT
Those wastrels who dare disagree with damians views on sexuality?
How dare they?
==============================

I hope that DE could understand that all these comments/discussions here on gays and homosexuality are not targeted on certain individual person, but rather a special type of people in comparison with other members known as straights/heterosexuals in society!

I think DE takes it too personally, as if he was speaking on behalf of the gay community, hence becoming very sensitive or nervous upon any negative comments of the slightest sort! There is no need for that!(*^__^*)

Anyway, gay phenomenon as we know it just exists in the world like air or water! It is just there!But then it is not a facelss thing, but sth always viewed with strong charges of emotions and feelings! The way we look
at the gay phenomenon is also part of the culture that shapes us!

Therefore it is always important for us to look at it in a detached perspective!

So calm down, DE, you need to have thicker face in the face of all these less than nice sayings about gays and homosexuality!
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:09 pm GMT
***If it is ok to deny people employment on the grounds that they are homophobic then surely its just as reasonable to deny them employment on account of being gay.

Or does 'close-minded' only apply to certain people?

Its okay to hate some people but not others?***

Right...if you really require a fulsome answer to that one, pal, then I suggest you contact: "She Who Wants To Rule Britannia" - (well, only half of the population of these islands does she want to rule" - the ones who can pee while standing up, who never lower the seat afterwards and can fart and burp at will.

I'm certain that the "lovely" Harriet Harperson...ooops...sorry - I mean Harm-a-Man....dammit.....Harman....will be more than delighted to respond to you in her usual Harridan Hattie style.

Contact her here:

www.harrietharman.org/contact_me

I would advise you to write under an alias though.....Edward Teach would not be a good idea if you really want a reply from this woman.

It would immediately identify you as somoeone who can pee standing up and then forgetting to lower the ******* seat.

Quentin Letts - the Lad from Lovely Lively Herefordshire.....Gawd bless 'im. Like all men he won't be on Batty Hatties's Christmas card list:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1039714/QUENTIN-LETTS-So-Harriet-Harperson-WAS-PM.html
Jasper   Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:17 pm GMT
"Homophobia seems not just NATURAL in most individuals, but also UNIVERSAL in ALL cultures!

You cud hardly find any religion or culture that tolerates homosexuality!If you know one, plz let us know! "

Shumio, I take it that you're from mainland China? Please remember that the world does not look at issues the same way as the Chinese. Chinese people (and Americans) often have tunnel vision that way.

Homosexuality is looked at as a non-issue in Scandinavian cultures, and is increasingly seen that way in Continental Europe. You'll find very little homophobia in Thailand, too. (Homosexuality is not a sin in Buddhism.)

That being said, I do think there might be an inherited tendency towards homophobia, which makes sense because homosexuality directly goes against the propagation of the species.

I remember a class discussion circa 1975 about homosexuals. Most of the class condemned it, but a few of us—five or six—believed homosexuals deserved some compassion. I myself believed it to be a developmental disorder akin to autism, and believed at that time (1975) that it might be curable. Oddly enough, our discussion centered about male homosexuals; at one point, the teacher said,"Y'all have to remember that there are as many female homosexuals as there are male homosexuals."

Decades later, at a family reunion, my older brother said,"As long as they don't come near me, who they date is a non-issue." This attitude is held by most of my family members. While homosexuality as a social force is an interesting topic, homosexuality in an individual really is a "snooze topic" for us.

So is there a homophobic gene? Maybe. Maybe we homotolerants are genetic mutants. Who knows? Do you know?
Antimooner K. T.   Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:22 pm GMT
Jasper,

Is it really homophobia? Maybe it's the fear or Aids or pedophila. I know that all gay people do not have aids and that they are not all pedophiles, but it's easier for some people to just lump them all in a group.

People who look at homosexuality from a Biblical perspective may see homosexuality as a split from the design of woman being made for man. Adam did not get a male clone, he got a female.

I haven't seen any evidence that homosexuality is inborn. That's why I don't see a need for special rights. I have heard of (but haven't seen)people who were born with characteristics of both genders. I would consider that a separate issue from homosexuality.

On the other hand, there is the idea of forgiveness for all "sins", so I disagree with people who think homosexuals should be harmed (I don't know anyone like that, but theoretically there must be some.)

Just one point of view.
Jasper   Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:37 pm GMT
KT, is this the same KT with whom I've shared Youtube music videos?

Anyway, to answer your question: I don't think homophobia is exactly the same thing as thinking homosexuality is a sin.

There are undoubtedly lots of people who think it's a sin, but don't give the matter a whole lot of thought outside of religious discussions. (That would include some of my family members.) There are also a lot of people who think it's a sin, but also actively despise homosexuals, and proverbially go to bed, tossing and turning, obsessing over homosexuals—probably like our correspondent Edward Teach and some others in this thread.

I have never been able to relate to that, KT. Obsessing over homosexuals seems a little bit odd to me. The sex part is kind of disgusting, and not for me, but thinking about homosexuals too much is—well, it's just not my particular cup of tea; the "snooze factor" sets in very rapidly. I'd rather obsess over my new iPod, some new adventures that involve personal growth, good music from times gone by, or....guess what? The English language, and....the Appalachian English dialect. ;) Infinitely more interesting topics, dontcha think?
DILEMMA!   Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:38 pm GMT
So what would the BBC do in this case:

A person applies for a job who is homophobic because they're religious.

If you accept them then you're discrimination against gays and violating freedom of sexuality. If you reject them then you're discriminating against religious people and violating freedom of worship.
Armada   Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:47 pm GMT
It depends, if his religion is Islam then BBC would be in a dilemma truly. On the other hand if his religion is Christianism then the homosexual thing would prevail. I have a crazy idea: what would happen if scientists created a pill that converts homosexuals into heterosexuals? Would Damian or Edward the Teach take it?. I personally believe that many people who are gay and say being gay is as natural as having blue eyes would be the first ones to take such pill.
Jasper   Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:56 pm GMT
KT, to add to the previous post:

It has been posited that there is a "religion" gene, too, that is, the tendency to be religious might be inherited.

It would certainly explain my own dilemma. Despite being raised smack dab in the Bible Belt, I just couldn't seem to get the hang of being religious, despite tremendous peer pressure. Indeed, on the maternal side of my family, there is not one single person who regularly attends church services.

So if the tendency to be religious is inherited, it seems to be that the tendency to be homosexual might be, too—as is the tendency to be schizophrenic, alcoholic, or possibly homophobic.

As our correspondent "scientist" has correctly noted (but poorly worded), there has not yet been found a genetic marker for any of these things.
blanc   Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:14 pm GMT
It's more a matter of a whole combination of genes that influence character than a 'religious gene'. It doesn't work like that, there is not just one gene that says you're religious or not (same with gayness).
It's more like a whole combination of things that increase or decrease the probability of being religious. For example, things non-conducive to being religious could be curiosity, non-credulity, or intelligence or egoism in some cases.
Jasper   Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:33 pm GMT
^ Blanc, I'm not joking. There really were some studies that suggested that being religious was an inherited trait. I don't think they found a genetic marker, though. Maybe you're right—maybe it's not one gene, but a group of them working harmoniously, or something. I don't know.

Apparently, I didn't inherit any of those genes, because the discussion of both religion and homosexuals really does have a "snooze factor" for me—unless it's related to sociology or genetics, that is, which is an entirely different matter. :)
Antimooner K. T.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:04 am GMT
" I don't think homophobia is exactly the same thing as thinking homosexuality is a sin."

I agree and that's my point.

"Obsessing over homosexuals seems a little bit odd to me."

I also agree, but gay marriage is a hot topic in the news, so I'm not surprised people discuss it.

"So if the tendency to be religious is inherited, it seems to be that the tendency to be homosexual might be, too—as is the tendency to be schizophrenic, alcoholic, or possibly homophobic."

Schizophrenia: People disagree about this, but it's been suggested for year.
Alcoholism: HOTLY debated by physicians, others.
homophobic: No evidence than I've seen.
Religious: Well, some say that we are all made to seek G-d/God.

Yes, Jasper, I'm the same K. T.
There have been some imitators, though.

It's more like a whole combination of things that increase or decrease the probability of being religious. For example, things non-conducive to being religious could be curiosity, non-credulity, or intelligence or egoism in some cases.

There's too much to discuss in just that single paragraph. I'd have to go point by point and the thread would be yanked.

Gay accent? No, but stereotypically, there is a tone, a head tilt, and a certain intonation that actors ("Jack" in the "Will and Grace" show.) use to indicate that the character is "gay". Intonation and accent are different terms.
Jasper   Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:20 am GMT
"homophobic: No evidence than I've seen. "

KT, it does make sense, however.

If this theory has any validity, a genetic tendency towards homophobia would be the species' way of propagating itself; a disinclination towards homophobia might be a genetic aberration. If our correspondent "scientist" is listening, this theory is in direct line with the idea of evolution, although there has not yet been found a genetic marker for homophobia. ;)

It's interesting that while homosexuality (and a tendency to be religious) has been studied in genetics, homophobia has not.

"Religious: Well, some say that we are all made to seek G-d/God."-

I don't think I can agree with this notion, KT. Some people are utterly uninterested in religion (including yours truly). As I said before, it's real "snooze material." I can honestly say I don't hate religious people, though.

By the way, KT, the fact that you've been cloned on this forum is a compliment to an extent. It shows that your online persona is beginning to take on a three-dimensional aspect. I'm curious about something: are you male or female?
reighs   Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:19 am GMT
<<
"Religious: Well, some say that we are all made to seek G-d/God."- >>

Indeed, we are all made to try any means possible to avoid death!
Edward Teach   Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:59 am GMT
Damian, if your previous post was a rant against feminism then we have finally found a topic on which you an I can wholeheartedly agree.

Feminism is a blight, It figured largely into my first year studying at university and in my opinion detracted from the course as a whole.

According to one feminist 'academic' Religion is just a way of keeping women down.

On the very next page she claimed that the decline of religion was also a way of keeping women down....o.....k.....

Also I think I should make clear that I wouldnt refuse anyone a job position on the grounds of their sexuality.
I merely wished to make a point that freedom should cut both ways.