Is Galician Portuguese?

a more original name.   Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:30 am GMT
<< Would you be so kind to point out the mistakes of my translation? >>

'e convivido' - 'he convivido'

The point I was trying to make is that a normal Brazilian, that is to say one who has no previous experience, cannot understand much when a Spanish speaker is talking normally. Communication is possible and does happen, but it's not easy and straightforward and some people here claim. Someone here linked to a paper where they measured 54% intelligibility, that seems about right. I was not talking about written intelligibility, so you being able to understand what I've written doesn't mean anything.
a more original name. (SC   Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:32 am GMT
<< TUA é uma palavra tão brega. Prefira falar: SUA. >>

SUA é uma palavra tão brega. Prefira falar: TUA.
Franco   Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:01 pm GMT
The point I was trying to make is that a normal Brazilian, that is to say one who has no previous experience, cannot understand much when a Spanish speaker is talking normally. Communication is possible and does happen, but it's not easy and straightforward and some people here claim. Someone here linked to a paper where they measured 54% intelligibility, that seems about right. I was not talking about written intelligibility, so you being able to understand what I've written doesn't mean anything.

Writen intelligibility is above 90% for sure.
Jacyra   Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:51 pm GMT
The point I was trying to make is that a normal Brazilian, that is to say one who has no previous experience, cannot understand much when a Portuguese person is talking normally. Communication is possible and does happen, but it's not easy and straightforward and some people here claim.
Galego   Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:45 pm GMT
<< Ilona Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:00 pm GMT
I do. Galician sounds nice and sweet. If it dies, what a pity. I hope it doesn't. >>

Probably most Galicians will end up with Spanish with a Galician accent. But if we're being realistic, Galician will cease to be a naturally spoken language. this spread is spreading from the cities and is obvious among the younger generations.

A whole generation of Galicians is emerging. They learn Galician at school and understand it, but de facto speak Spanish.

So this whole question whether Galician is a dialect of Portuguese or not is becoming pretty irrelevant.
Baldewin   Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:01 pm GMT
Like Frisian is becoming a dialect of Dutch, Galician is becoming a dialect of Spanish.
Penetra   Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am GMT
TUA não é brega, mas o gaúcho/catarina que diz/escreve "tu foste" está sendo pretencioso. Todo o mundo sabe que no dia-a-dia, quando não querem impressionar/aborrecer paulistas, ambos falam mesmo "tu foi", tal como o carioca ou o santista.
a more original name.   Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:43 pm GMT
Segundo a lógica Penetra qualquer brasileiro que escreve os plurais está sendo pretencioso, já que todo mundo sabe que no dia-a-dia ninguém fala assim.

E mais: pelo menos entres catarinas do litoral é mais comum falar "tu fosse" do que "tu foi".
Ren   Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:28 pm GMT
"in Braz-port, the vowels all have their original value."

No they dont, specially the E and Os. Depending on the position of the word, it can sound different, without an accent or anything to tell you how it is pronounced. Brazilian Portuguese is NOT a phonetical language!
Monkeys hunter   Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:18 pm GMT
"Like Frisian is becoming a dialect of Dutch, Galician is becoming a dialect of Spanish"

Like Macaque language is becoming a dialect of Chimpanzeeland, Galician is becoming a dialect of Spanish.
Galega   Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:21 pm GMT
Galician is not dying it is being taught in schools and most young people speak it they just chose not too as it is not considered cool, I lived there and I learnt Galician most people switch between Castillian and Galician but it is very much alive...
Garota de Ipanema   Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:00 pm GMT
I am from Brazil and I understand news from TVE better than the ones from Galician TV. Maybe because I've studied Spanish for 6 months, and I've never studied Galician.

Galician is really a mess, it sounds like a dialect of Spanish with a random overpronounced word (for example when they pronounce it: maneeeeeeira, in Brazil for example [manera] is much more frequent than [maneira]).

I don't know why Galician and Basque sound so Castillian, while Valencian, Mallorquí and Catalan have remained close to their original phonetics.
Garota de Ipanema   Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:06 pm GMT
I am from Brazil and I understand news from TVE better than the ones from Galician TV. Maybe because I've studied Spanish for 6 months, and I've never studied Galician.

Galician is really a mess, it sounds like a dialect of Spanish with a random overpronounced word (for example when they pronounce it: maneiiiiiiiiiiiiiiira, in Brazil for example [manera] is much more frequent than [maneira]).

I don't know why Galician and Basque sound so Castillian, while Valencian, Mallorquí and Catalan have remained close to their original phonetics.
rep   Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:11 pm GMT
<<Galician is really a mess, it sounds like a dialect of Spanish with a random overpronounced word (for example when they pronounce it: maneiiiiiiiiiiiiiiira, in Brazil for example [manera] is much more frequent than [maneira]). >>
But manera is Spanish word and maneira is Portuguese.
Galicians ronounce it like Portugueses (maneira) and most of Brazilians,as you say, -like Spanish (manera).

Galicians say " Galiza é o nome da Nossa Terra ",but not "Galicia es el nombre de Nuestra Tierra".
http://www.agal-gz.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4463
Franco   Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:18 pm GMT
Galician is losing a lot of ground in Galicia in favour of Spanish. It will become an extinct language in a few decades.