What Romance language sounds more Germanic?

Baldewin   Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:48 pm GMT
Check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ-EBbjmkLk

Not my taste of music, but such French was more common some decades ago I'd say.
Citronella   Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:42 pm GMT
looling Joao   Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:48 pm GMT
«Flemming Softsson Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:48 am GMT
Icelandic, Faeroeish, English, Swedish, Frisian, West shore Danish are all softsome sounding Germanic languages. So non-north European cretins please stop defining Germanic as always sounding harsh like Deutche.

Whatever Romance language is the most similar to a harsh Germanic langauge like German, is also by default the most similar sounding to harsh languages like Arabic and Spanish!

Get out of that one, you swarthy non-Germanic Romancians.»

Who said that ALL the Germanic languages were harsh sounding?..... Are we projecting our own imbecile chauvinism on others? ha ha ha

I like German. It has charm. It is also softer than Netherlands Dutch and as harsh as French and Spanish. I also like English, Swedish and Fleming Dutch.
Will   Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:49 pm GMT
«Check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ-EBbjmkLk

Not my taste of music, but such French was more common some decades ago I'd say.»

Is this the Breton accent or something close ?
Baldewin   Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:06 am GMT
Just Belgian French, but I hear Walloon influences (only in pronunciation).
Franco   Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:12 am GMT
It does not sound Germanic to me. If any, it sounds a little like French with Spanish accent (due to trilled r).
Baldewin   Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:15 am GMT
Perhaps a remnant of the Spanish era, who knows?
Franco   Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:18 am GMT
I've added the song to my favourites. LOL.
Baldewin   Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:29 am GMT
Anyway, I don't know about any Spanish influences. We do call a jail 'een amigo', but I think that's rather due to folk etymology. In Brabantian dialect (that of Brussels at least) a jail was called 'een vroente' which sound a lot like the word 'een vriend', and hence why we call a jail 'amigo'.
Also, we use the word 'goesting' (desire) about which exists the myth that it have Spanish origins. It actually comes from Old French 'gust'.

About Walloon language, it's one of the few languages that uses 'se dispaitchî' (like in Spanish despertarse), but it's just an archaic Romance word, no Spanish influence necessarily.
PARISIEN   Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:04 am GMT
"se dispaitchî'" is almost exactly the early mediaeval form of modern French "se dépêcher". The Normans exported it to England, hence "to dispatch"

<< Just Belgian French, but I hear Walloon influences (only in pronunciation) >>

-- Annie Cordy (the singer) was indeed from Brussels, but the accent she jokingly used for that song was stereotypical French farmer speech, with the peasant-like rolled 'r's.
Another example (from the late 50's):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjfDbgVbFk8&feature=related
Baldewin   Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:10 am GMT
Indeed, it denotes farmer's speech (old people from tiny villages use it still). I still wonder how the current French R spread and where it originates from. Did erudite medieval French also have the uvular R or was it an alveolar one?
At a certain period in time, the majority rolled their R. Funny thing is that the rolling R is also disappearing in Dutch.
France   Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:15 am GMT
I think that the spread of the uvular R not only happens in France but is a continent-wide linguistic phenomenon . Where did it begin and how, I don't know. Only Spain and Italy keep safe from it. Well, I've heard the uvular R to some Spanish speakers with a speech impediment, but I doubt that will become fashionable ever.
JGreco   Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:33 am GMT
I wonder if the French uvular R aided to the unintelligibly between French and Spanish as the sound shifted over the decade. I just find it odd that two neighbors such as France and Spain can become so unintelligible to the levels similar to Romanian towards the Western Romance languages.
KC   Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:52 am GMT
«I just find it odd that two neighbors such as France and Spain can become so unintelligible to the levels similar to Romanian towards the Western Romance languages.»

That's because French is actually northern French and the real neighbour of Spanish was Occitan.
eivora   Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:37 am GMT
Still, Spanish and Occitan are kept apart by high mountains. And the areas at both ends of the Pyrenean range are the Basque country in the West, and the Catalan region in the East. The real neighbor of Castilian is Catalan. Catalan itself is in a continuum with the nearest Occitan dialects, but with differences not to be overlooked in phonetics and stressing pf words.