Scouse accent

cooper   Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:12 pm GMT
Does anyone have an example or able to imitate a scouse accent? If so, can you post it please? I know George Harrison was supposed to be a good example. Thanks
Tom K.   Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:30 pm GMT
Go here: http://www.ku.edu/~idea/europe/england/england.htm
and listen to 16, 17, and 18.
Adam   Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:49 am GMT
I think the Scousers get their accent from all the Irish people who settled in Liverpool over the years. Liverpool probably has the largest population of people of Irish descent outside of Ireland.
Jim   Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:38 pm GMT
Yep, you're right, The scouse accent is relatively young and quite dissimilar to that of the rest of Lancashire. Just travelling a few miles outside of Liverpool is enough to find a completely different accent.
Adam   Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:09 pm GMT
Wherever you travel in England, it's the same.

I know an Italian and she taught herself English and she has gradually come to know some of the different accents. She says the accents of the South of English, especially the South East, sound more "German-like" to her, whereas my Bolton accent sounds not very "German-like."

And I think there is some truth to that. The Danes and Norwegians once ruled the whole of Northern England (which was known as the Danelaw), whilst at the same time Southern England was ruled by the Saxons. So nowadays, most Southern English people have accents derived from the Saxons whereas most Northerners (with the exception of Scousers) have accents derived from the Scandinavians. Recent research has shown that the Geordie accent is derived from Norwegian.

Scouse, though, sounds very similar to Irish, and is closely related to it because of all the Irisih people who settles in Liverpool.
Ben   Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:16 pm GMT
Scouse *shudders* may have come from Irish accents, but in my opinion it sounds NOTHING like any Irish accent. There was a thread recently about your most hated dialects, and for me, scouse is at the top of the list. In fact, for everyone I've met who isn't a scouser, the same could be said.

No offense any scousers out there ;)

Ben.
ben   Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:18 pm GMT
Does anybody have a audio clip of a scouser swearing? Their pronunciation of swearwords are among the funniest, and consequently the best in the world.
Steve   Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:36 am GMT
Hey lad, now i am a scouser an im offended by you thinking that the way we swear is funny
Guest   Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:43 am GMT
>>> Hey lad, now i am a scouser an im offended by you thinking that the way we swear is funny <<

You should swear at him then.
Sam   Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:01 pm GMT
I'm scouse!!
laura   Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:55 pm GMT
im not a scouser but i love the accent
in.   Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:17 am GMT
I'm Canadian, and I absolutely love the Scouse accent. Very sexy.
K. T.   Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:50 am GMT
Thank-you for sharing this! It's fascinating. It's great to listen to the other accents (from France, for example) as well.

It's almost enough to make me want to study linguistics!
Pub Lunch   Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:59 pm GMT
Here you go Cooper, two top Liverpool lads - Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher (two of our best footballers). These are as scouse as it can get mate and gives you the best idea of the 'scouse' accent spoken today.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bhtCYfcQ-3s

And one for the road...Mr Wayne Rooney (possibly our best footballer).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ERmsKtOZt_w&mode=related&search=

As you can hear, Scousers have a tendency for saying 'erm' after most sentences...erm I have no idea why. Top bunch are the scousers.
Kelly Key   Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:29 pm GMT
I like the Devonshire accent. It sounds American...they pronounce
HOT, GOD, POP and other O-words with /A/