Scouse accent

Irish   Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:51 pm GMT
I love scousers, Funnist people you could meet, Lots a love from Ireland, oh im also a Liverpoolfc fan
Matt   Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:44 am GMT
And I think there is some truth to that. The Danes and Norwegians once ruled the whole of Northern England (which was known as the Danelaw), whilst at the same time Southern England was ruled by the Saxons. So nowadays, most Southern English people have accents derived from the Saxons whereas most Northerners (with the exception of Scousers) have accents derived from the Scandinavians. Recent research has shown that the Geordie accent is derived from Norwegian.
======

Have to disagree with that, Adam.

Some areas of the North (Yorkshire for example) were heavily influenced by the Danes and Norwegians, but your comment about Geordie being derived from Norwegian doesn't sound right.

There is some Norwegian influence (for example, we say gannin hyem or garn hyam, which is almost identical to modern Norwegian for "Going home") but the North East accent is mostly derived from Anglo-Saxon, as the Norwegians didn't often venture past North Yorkshire.

Do you have a link to the research mentioned? I would like to have a read.
Damian in London E14   Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:32 pm GMT
It's no surprise at all that Irish loves Scousers - a large majority of Scousers originate from Ireland in the first place. Liverpool has the highest percentage of Roman Catholics in its population than any other city in the UK outside of Greater London, and Glasgow comes third.

There are elements of the Scouse accent which are distinctly Irish - the way many Scousers voice the "th" sound is evidence of that - "gimme dat book will yer!" or "someone called da rozzers!" (A rozzer is Scousespeak for a copper (police officer). "A busy" or "the busies" is also Scousespeak for a copper or the police generally.

Scousers are having a pretty tough time trying to live down the fact that to many people in the UK a Scouse accent automatically places its speaker in the category of a rogue, rascal, a tealeaf (thief), a scally (scallywag), but at the same time humorous with it. Of course i doesn't apply to all Scousers by a long, long way - it's just the unfortunate reputation they have.

I mentioned their humour - it's wicked (wicked in common UK speak means something ace, something great, cool etc). It's no accident that many of Britain's most famous comedians came/come from Liverpool/Merseyside - all masters of the one liners. Ask anyone why this should be so the most probable answer will be something to the effect that anyone living in Liverpool would just have to have a sense of humour in order to survive.

After WW2 many Liverpudlians were rehoused away from the bombed out, blitz ravaged city so that rebuilding and redevelopment could take place. They moved into surrounding rural areas and they immediately began to call the country people "woollybacks" - a reference to sheep. Scousers still refer to rustic country dwellers by the same term, even though rustic country dwellers nowadays are every bit as streetwise and as savvy as the urban Scousers themselves.
hannah   Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:22 pm GMT
eeeeeeee why r u sayin that scouse is your most hated dialect well im not bein funny or nofin but the scouse swerin isnt funi aswell mate an am a scouser so uve afended me !
Damian in London E14   Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:39 pm GMT
Hannah: I think you were doing a wee bit of a pisstake but just in case you weren't: I'm sorry that you thought I was being *afensive* and that I intimated that Scouse was "the most hated accent". Not true - have you never been to Glasgow? Or Sarf Landun? I was not referring to the Scouse accent as such - more the image it conjures up in SOME people's minds when they hear it - people from outside of its range that is........I also said that such prejudice is unjustified. There are probably no more scallies in Scouseland than anywhere else but I wouldn't know whether the reputation is deserved or not as I've never been to Liverpool or its immediate surroundings. They are funny people though - as in comical - not weird. Och no! - now I reckon I'm in bother again...
Arthur Mind Mate   Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:18 pm GMT
'ere sunshine wot u sayin' abaat Sarf Landun? You sayin' we tawk fanny or sumfink?
STE   Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:47 am GMT
IM SCOUSE LAD N JST BCOS U HATE THE ACCENT LAD DOESNT MEAN EVERY1 DOES LAD... BCOS THE BRIDS LOVE IT LAD ;) INABIT
Jess   Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:50 pm GMT
Kelly Key, the devonshire accent sounds American??!!! Im from Devon and if anything we all sound farmerrrish! Haha and i do like the scouse accent :)
Damian in London SW15   Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:44 pm GMT
Imagine a conversation between a ruddy faced, apple cheeked Devonian farmer and a hard bitten Scouser scally! I'd love to be the proverbial fly on the wall.....
amy in nueaton   Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:45 pm GMT
people from devon sound like they're from america bcus the devonshire people were the first western civilisation to inhabit america, they're kinda on the southwest side of britain and are in a pretty much straight line of sailing to get there, then all their 'ar's and stuff got mish mashed into american accents.

p.s. wat u lot think of Brummy accents? i've never lived there and hardly go there at all, but spend one day with my cousin (who is) and im talking like a brummy. do ppl think its ugly? my boyfriend takes the piss out of me for it

xxx
Sean   Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:53 pm GMT
I'm 21 from Liverpool. I've got me grandma from southern ireland and me nan from northern ireland. i'm white and a catholic. Dont think you can get a much more sterotypical scouser (i'm not a thief tho, haha jokin ). (not jokin as in, i am thief!)
The scouse accent is not as well known as you would think internationally. When i've been abroad people have been puzzled when they hear me speak. I also have to talk, what to me seems, very slow for people to understand. They usually think i'm irish or scottish. To me, it sounds nothin like irish or scottish but to a yank it probly sounds similar.
We tend to have a very quick, sarcastic sense of humour (Rickly Tomlinson typifies scouse humour). Most scousers do feel seperior to the anyone who isnt a scouser, me included to be honest. This sounds a very arrogant thing to say but we think we "know the score" and everyone else hasnt got a clue. Most scousers dont consider themselves british, we're just scousers! And i wouldnt have it any other way!!
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:01 pm GMT
Sean:

I'm 25 and from Edinburgh. I admit to extracing the urine from Scousers and the Scouse accent on more than just a couple of occasions in this fine Forum, and have said that most Scousers seem to suffer from some peculiar kind of throat infection probably brought about by an excess of phlegm in the vocal chords or something like that. Everytime a Scousers utters the word "back", or any word with the "ck" sound, it comes out all guttural, more like the way we Scots pronounce the "ch" in "loch". :-)

I have been equally scathing (sort of half joking, really!) about Glaswegians and their accent, so don't feel that I only have it in for Scousers, or Liverpudlians, or Merseysiders or whatever you like to call yourselves down there.

btw: I quite like to hear (and see) Steven Gerrard speaking, even though he, too, has a touch of that throat condition! That I can overlook.... :-) He's ace.

Just imagine it - a footie team which includes both Gerrard and skyhigh beanpole Peter Crouch! But Crouch isn't a Scouser is he?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gwyjfU9cFo&feature=related
Sean   Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:24 pm GMT
we pronounce look "luckkkkkk" and book "buckkkk", wen i go out with work friends who tend to have weak scouse accents, as opposed to me mates who are all young lads, i make a concious effort to not to "yokka" when i speak but they still take the michael!
i cant tell the difference between different regions of scottish accents. altho i remember watching this program with colin and justin who were renovating a deprived area of scotland and the show was subtitled the accents were that thick, i couldnt understand a word they were saying
DJ   Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:51 am GMT
I understand that d is pronounced dz and th (as in this) is pronounced like d:

I used to know a Scouser who used to say: day dzoo dough, dzon't day dough? Meaning:

They do, though, don't they, though?
DJ   Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:54 am GMT
I think nothing in Scouse is pronounced no'in with ' representing the glottal stop.