Choosing between languages related to International Business

Spaz   Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:54 am GMT
<< I'm pretty sure they dropped French from the last Olympic Games. It still has a presence in the Eurovision Song Contest but just a token one. The importance of French is diminishing, although sheer number of speakers will keep it afloat for a while yet. >>

I'm pretty sure they will exclude Spanish from the last Olympic Games. It still has no presence in the Eurovision Song Contest not even a token one. The importance of Spanish is diminishing, even sheer number of native speakers won't keep it afloat.
fraz   Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:32 pm GMT
<<I'm pretty sure they will exclude Spanish from the last Olympic Games. It still has no presence in the Eurovision Song Contest not even a token one. The importance of Spanish is diminishing, even sheer number of native speakers won't keep it afloat. >>

I'm not aware of Spanish ever being used as an Olympic language, unless of course when the games are held in a Spanish-speaking country. The traditional languages of the games were always English and French, although I believe French was dropped in 2004.
Spaz   Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:44 pm GMT
<< The traditional languages of the games were always English and French, although I believe French was dropped in 2004. >>

What a stupid post!

I'm not aware of aware was French was dropped but all I know that it is retained as one of the working languages of the olympics.

All I know is

"French and English are the official languages of the Olympic Movement. The other language used at each Olympic Games is the language of the host country. Every proclamation (such as the announcement of each country during the parade of nations in the opening ceremony) is spoken in these three languages, or the main two depending on whether the host country is an English or French speaking country."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games
FROM VANCOUVER   Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:55 am GMT
The reason why there is English and French during the Olympic games is mainly because English and French are the official languages of Canada. However, in Vancouver, you hear Mandarin 100000x more often than you hear French. The French is there for political purposes. French Canadians will complain forevermore about how there is not enough French in Canada. The French is there to please Quebec (which us British Columbians HATE, along with Ontario)