Most common pronunciation of ''Mcdonald's'' in the United St

SpaceFlight   Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:43 am GMT
In this thread http://www.antimoon.com/forum/2004/5779.htm

mjd wrote:

<<There is no "i" sound in my pronunciation of the word. Mine is more of a schwa sound....it sounds nothing like the name "mick." I disagree with Smith's assertion that his pronunciation is the most common in the U.S.>>

How would you pronounce ''Mcdonald's''?
Lazar   Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:27 am GMT
I definitely pronounce it with an [I]: [mIk"dQnl=dz]. I actually find it difficult to put a schwa in an unstressed word-initial closed syllable, so I likewise pronounce "admit" and "advance" as [Id"mIt], [Id"v{ns].
Kirk   Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:49 am GMT
It's [mIk"dAn5=dz] for me. Like Lazar, I can have [Id"mIt] and [Id"v{n(t)s].
Uriel   Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:43 am GMT
I say "Mick-donald's".

Brennus, your Vietnamese girl's "Mah-dohn-us" is a closer attempt than the common pronunciation in Japan: Ma-ku-do-na-ru-do. That was a tongue-twister for me, especially when said quickly! But their "fu-rai-do po-te-to" were wonderful.

But why Japanese KFC's served maple-honey sauce with their fried chicken remains a culinary mystery to me.
Kirk   Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:29 am GMT
Hehe. In Argentina the people there usually said [mak"donal].
canaws   Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:15 am GMT
I say mik-donalds and mac-donalds. I also say makudonarudo sometimes because I took Japanese in high school and it's fun to say it that way. =)
Corrs   Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:46 am GMT
<<I definitely pronounce it with an [I]: [mIk"dQnl=dz]. I actually find it difficult to put a schwa in an unstressed word-initial closed syllable, so I likewise pronounce "admit" and "advance" as [Id"mIt], [Id"v{ns].>>

What about in ''object'', Lazar? I say /@b.dZEkt/. Do you also pronounce that with /I/? That word also has an intial closed syllable.

I pronounce ''Mcdonald's'' as /m@kdOn@5dz/.
Corrs   Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:48 am GMT
<<Hehe. In Argentina the people there usually said [mak"donal].>>

That sure is a strange way to pronounce "Mcdonald's".
Benjamin   Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:44 am GMT
I suppose I sort of say 'muck-DOH-nulds', with a short 'O' sound. I don't really pronounce the 'ck' either — it's more of a glottal stop.
Benjamin   Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:50 am GMT
Sorry, ignore the above — I responded without realising that question applied only to those in the United States.
Guy   Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:54 am GMT
I use /mIk.dA:.nldz/ and I think it is the most common around here.

Uriel,
Do Japanese KFC serve fried chicken with maple-syrup? I used to work at a KFC in Japan when I was studying at high school there, but I never saw anything like that.
Uriel   Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:41 am GMT
They did when I was in high school there, lo these many years ago -- I took a bite thinking it was honey, and out came this maple-syrup flavor that in my humble opinion, doesn't really go with chicken. That's why it stood out in my memory -- both because I wasn't expecting it, and because I didn't quite care for it. But it may be that LOTS of people didn't care for it, and they took it off the menu.
Geoff_One   Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:21 am GMT
There is a real town called Yass and it has a Mcdonald's restaurant.
Geoff_One   Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:27 am GMT
There are advertisments advertising the McDonald's restaurant as you approach Yass. Yass is important to Australia's wool growing industry.
Guest   Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:10 pm GMT
LOL

baa baa.

At McDonald's we got it all for you!