Your ideas about Turkish which has over 150 million speakers

Ed   Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:11 am GMT
<<Turkish is a national language in: Turkey, Cyprus, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, Bulgaria,and the Republic of Macedonia. >>

Sander, Where did you get that crap? Turkish is not a national language in neither Bulgaria, nor the Republic of Macedonia.
Guest   Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:23 am GMT
<Sander, Where did you get that crap? Turkish is not a national language in neither Bulgaria, nor the Republic of Macedonia. >

Probably he was referring to the Ottoman Empire where these countries were part of it's terriority.
greg   Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:02 am GMT
La "république turque de Chypre du nord" n'existe pas : elle n'est reconnue par personne à part la Turquie.

Et « Selçuk » — ou celui (ceux) qui se cache(nt) derrière ce pseudo — est un troll : propos orduriers, xénophobes & racistes.
Guest   Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:29 am GMT
<<Sander, Where did you get that crap? Turkish is not a national language in neither Bulgaria, nor the Republic of Macedonia.>>

He probably got his information from Wikipedia, which states this:

"Official language of: Turkey, Cyprus, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, Bulgaria (national language), Republic of Macedonia (municipal language)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_language

This could be erroneous information, so don't take it as fact. Keep in mind that "national language" doesn't necessarily mean "official language".
greg   Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:54 am GMT
N'oubliez pas : l'arme la plus efficace contre les trolls > les ignorer.

Je ne leur donne pas l'heure locale --- Brennus.
Ed   Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:15 am GMT
<<This could be erroneous information, so don't take it as fact. Keep in mind that "national language" doesn't necessarily mean "official language". >>

Whatever it means, it's wrong. There aren't even any Turks in Macedonia.
Stefaniel P Spaniel   Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:43 pm GMT
If Finno-ugric languages are a bridge from Turkic languages to Indo-European ones, then clearly it was a bridge too far. Just try learning a Finno-ugric language! There are clearly similarities between the Turkic and Finno-ugric though.
I like some aspects of Turkish culture and some of their food, but I still think it is a shame that Constantinople fell to them...although they treated it fairly well in the circumstances.
Alfred E. Neuman   Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:56 pm GMT
I wonder how "great" the Armenians thought the Ottoman Empire was.
Selçuk   Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:54 am GMT
""Alfred E. Neuman
I wonder how "great" the Armenians thought the Ottoman Empire was. ""
Hey, Alfred.If you knew just a little about Europe's history, you would know how "great" The Ottoman was!You Europeans are lack of your history, or you are shameful to discuss about your past!
Sander   Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:08 pm GMT
Selçuk,

Clearly isn't Turkish.Even the most nationalistic Turks would be shamed of the genocide in Armenia.
Samson   Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:20 pm GMT
Turkey has never won any war in modern history. The ancestors of the Turks were defeated by the Mongolians. That's it. They are losers.
greg   Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:56 pm GMT
Les Turcs ont quand même pris Constantinople en 1453 puis assiégé Vienne en 1529 et en 1683 ! C'est pas négligeable.
Danu, Dé   Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:39 pm GMT
The greatest empire was the empire of My people the Tuatha Dé Danann! Just kidding. It's hard to say which empire was the greatest but I'd say Rome or the British or Ancient China (though the Chinese didn't care much about expansion). These empires (especially Victorian Britain) influenced the world like no other. A question: How long do you guys think English would remain lingua franca of Earth? Do you think it'll wane at all? Or will it die rapidly when the US is no longer the first superpower?(not that I'm hoping this would happen).

Fáilte go Tir na Nog...Bliain úr faoi shéan is faoi mise duit!
Kabayan   Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:50 am GMT
Are we going to discuss history rather than language ?

( Is my line grammatically correct ? )
Danu, Dé   Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:53 am GMT
Apparently. And yes, you're grammatically correct.

Bliain úr faoi shéan is faoi mise duit!