English People...

Guest   Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:36 pm GMT
"I would have done - whilst eating a bag of potato crisps."

Some politician you would be. Give a speech and eat at the same time. Not many votes would be going your way. By the way Northern unionists hate the English as much as the Nationalists do.
Guest   Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:24 pm GMT
" "Because I cannot possibly imagine a situation in which any ENGLISH POLITICIAN would stand in front of a group of Irish people and bang on about his Englishness any later than that date. "

I would have done - whilst eating a bag of potato crisps."

So you are a politician. I thought you were just another wannabe mini-Hitler. I suggest that you that you get back to helping your constituents since Bolton isn't exactly an economic boom town.
Guest   Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:35 pm GMT
They are a mixed bunch really. Some are fine and others are obnoxious but most of them are too proud of their imperialistic past and think their empire made the world a better place and committed no wrongs. This is contrary to the truth though.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:00 pm GMT
***I suggest that you that you get back to helping your constituents since Bolton isn't exactly an economic boom town***

I don't know about that, but I would guess that it's probably booming with chavs...or as we say here in Scotland - neds. :-)

And they cannae play footie....West Ham 2 Bolton 1

And they don't like the French......
Adam   Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:42 pm GMT
"By the way Northern unionists hate the English as much as the Nationalists do. "

Who cares? They also hate the Irish in the Republic, too, but they want to be a part of the UK, not Ireland.
Adam   Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:46 pm GMT
"I don't know about that, but I would guess that it's probably booming with chavs...or as we say here in Scotland - neds. :-)

And they cannae play footie....West Ham 2 Bolton 1

And they don't like the French...... "
------------------------------------------
No, we can't play football. That's why we're about 7th in the Premiership (out of 20) but could be up to about 4th (and in next year's Champions League) if we win our 2 games in hand.

And the Commonwealth Games have started. They are the Commonwealth's equivalent of the Olympics. Let's look at the medals table so far -

Australia, England and Canada have won the most medals so far in the Commonwealth games. Australia, England and India have won the most golds.

Correct at end of day two.

................Gold ....Silver.... Bronze.... Total
1. Australia ....12 ......9 ..........8 .............29
2. India ..........4 ......3 ...........0............. 7
3. England ......3 .......7 ..........4 ............14
4. Canada .......2 .......6 ..........4............ 12
5. New Zealand .2 .....1 ...........0 .............3
6. Scotland .......2 .....0.......... 3 .............5
7. South Africa.. 2 ......0.......... 2 .............4
8. Malaysia .......1 ......0........... 2............ 3
9. Sri Lanka ......1 .......0........... 0 ...........1
10. Bangladesh ..0 .......1 ..........0 ............1
10. Papua New Guinea .0 ..1....... 0 ...........1
12. Singapore .........0......0 ......2 ...........2
12. Wales ..............0 .....0 .......2........... 2
13. Fiji .............0......... 0 ........1 ............1
13. Isle of Man ...0 ..........0 .......1 ............1
Guest   Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:19 pm GMT
" "By the way Northern unionists hate the English as much as the Nationalists do. "

Who cares?"

Just saying that the individuals listening didn't have to be nationalist. The Unionists would have dragged you from the stand and sorted you out. Unionists are considerably more violent.
lu   Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:56 am GMT
I used have a impression of the english people that they're polite and are all gentlemen and ladies.But the notorious english hooligans really change that good impression.

Also once I met an Englishman who came to our company to work. So speechless he was that he never talked to anyone (we don't speak english may be one of the reasons) until was talked to. And one friendly and talkative Englishman who I met at our local englishcorner told me that his fellow English people never interested in his travelling stories so he finally decided to leave England and find a job here as an English teacher.

I think English people may not be boring but surely won't be interesting either, no offense to you English people out there.
Damian in Dun Eidann   Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:03 pm GMT
***I think English people may not be boring but surely won't be interesting either, no offense to you English people out there.***

As a Scot I'm impartial here so offence (sorry..offense) is not an issue here (I take it that you mean English people as opposed to British? The terms are frequently confused). In my experience the English are rarely boring......(BLEEPING) annoying at times yes, but hardly ever boring. All my English mates are mega mega interesting..they wouldn't be my mates if they weren't!

Lu's English colleague was naturally "speechless" if nobody around him spoke English! Wouldn't anybody be in those circumstances? It begs the question though why he took the job in the first place if he didn't speak the local lingo...which he should have done, but hey! he was a Brit all said and done. :-)

What exactly is an "Englishcorner", where you met your more typical "friendly and talkative" Englishman? What's the betting it was a bar? ;-) As for his fellow Englishmen back in England not being interested in his "travelling stories"......maybe he bored them to death with repetition? Even interesting and talkative Sassenachs can only take so much, you ken!
lu   Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:01 pm GMT
Well I personally don't know many english people so my opinion might be biased.

Talking about my speechless colleague (actually he's on a temporary business trip to my city), though he can't speak our language but a gesture and a smile are always welcomed right?

A English corner is where people want to learn English gather and speak English together which can be held anywhere. And it's possible he is a bit too talkative and bored those around him to death but also it's possible they are just not interested . Only he himself knows why I guess.
Fiona -   Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:52 pm GMT
This has to be the best one - it cracks me up!!

The Pope and the Queen of England are addressing a joint Anglican/Catholic commemoration of the Anglo-Irish accords. The crowd is huge. Her Majesty and His Holiness cannot help but feel a little rivalry - both being heads of states and churches and all. Things were dragging on a bit and both of them were getting a bit tired. So the queen turned to the Pope and said wit a grin on her face, "Did you know that, with just one little wave of my hand, I can make every English person in the crowd stand up and go wild, cheering and calling my name?"
The Pope looked doubtful, so she showed him. Sure enough, the royal-gloved wave elicited rapture and cheering from every English man, woman and child in the crowd. Gradually, the cheering subsided. The Pope, not wanting to be outdone by someone wearing a worse frock and hat than he, considered thoughtfully and then said to the Queen, "Your majesty, that was impressive. But did you know that, with one wave of MY hand, I can make every Irish person in the crowd go crazy with joy? But their joy will not be just a momentary display like that of your subjects, but will go deep into their hearts, and they will speak forever of this day to their grandchildren and they to their descendants." The Queen seriously doubted this, and said so, "One little wave of your hand and all Irish people will rejoice forever? Show me."

So, the Pope slapped the b*tch!!!
Guest   Mon May 15, 2006 8:10 pm GMT
Funny!
Cry   Tue May 16, 2006 2:11 pm GMT
Please let this thread die with whatever little dignity remains.
english trash hater   Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:40 pm GMT
Why are the British, particularly the English so fucking obnoxious? Can't they realize that they don't have the empire anymore? Having worked closely with Engish people over the last 2 plus years, I can now honestly say that I would never want to work with them again. I used to think Americans as being the most obnoxious people on earth...boy was I wrong! Americans are far better than the English! I have never been to England; but after having at the displeasure of working with some of the most rudest, bigoted, snobbish, racist English trash over the past years, I must say that I would never want to visit England.

What a bunch of loathsome bastards the English are! Now I understand why the Irish have been wanting to bomb their skulls open for over half a century, the Scots still continue to want their separate country, and the Welsh purposely continue to annoy the English any chance they get.

Tell me you English, is obnoxiousness inbred in you, is it in your blood... or are you bred to be grow up to be the lousy people that you are?
vicky   Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm GMT
I think... You're so lucky. It's maybe related to your individual character or the one who you met...