Portuguese + Spanish the fastest growing western languages

Jr   Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:57 pm GMT
Sorin, ignorant as always. Though "portuguese" does in a way* sound like the way you described it.

Remember, Romanian's closeness in CLASSICAL-LATIN is 'only' in the declension; the rest is vulgar latin.
Aldo   Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:30 am GMT
The term "latino" would best describe you, because you speak an "latin derived language."

Vossa lingua e simular como a mea; em terminos sintasis.
Gringo   Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:00 pm GMT
Guest Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:36 pm GMT

««the definition of Hispanic, according to a dictionary, is "one of or relating to Spanish-speaking Latin America, or relating to a Spanish-speaking people or culture." »»

Carry a copy of the definition in big letters and stick it to their noses.

Guest Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:24 pm GMT

««Are French and Italians Latino? They speak a Latin derived language. Why is that Brazilians can nont be Brazilians? Why label them with something else? A Brazilian is a Brazilian!»»

Latino is short for Latino Americano. I do not see any wrong with that.
JGreco   Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:42 pm GMT
"Latino is short for Latino Americano. I do not see any wrong with that.

DISAGREE!!!"

I'm sorry for you but your assertion is not common. Your definition for hispanic is also flawed. Hispanic refers to in reality people who are decended from ancesters from Spain. It is also reffered to mestizos than have mixed indigenous and Spanish decent. I'm sorry to say there are brazilians with spanish ancestory that can be reffered to as Hispanic. Also, culturally speaking all Romance based societies are related because of the immigration of Romans to all lands that they conquered and the assimilation of those native populations. There are many people who live in Spanish speaking areas of Latin America that are not hispanic and may share the same heritage as you. I share the same heritage as you but my parents are from Brazil (Belo Horizonte) and from Panama. The family in Panama is of Italian decent and The family in Brazil is of Portuguese and Acorian decent. Yes, you do have a beautiful Brazilian culture that is a part of me to. And like all over LATIN AMERICA every has their Colombian Culture, Mexican Culture, Cuban Culture that is very distinct culturally and ethnically. Yes since the Spanish, Italians, Romanians, French, Catalans all have the same Roman blood in them then yes they are LATIN.
Gringo   Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:30 pm GMT
Guest Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:20 pm GMT

««Latino is just a stupid label that does not apply to anyone. Why do we have to label people when we don't need to?

Brazilains are well identfied as Brazilians. No need for extra labelling!»»

Same as calling European to Portuguese, Spaniards or Germans it is just another label no one bothers.

What you are referring is to the connotation the words Latino and Hispanico have in the United States. Notice that it may not have the same connotation for other people outside the US.

The same applies for the word Hispanico, e.g. for Portuguese people it refers only to the people that lived in the Roman province of Hispania, it has only an historical meaning.

Whatever the connotation in the US, if good or bad, it applies only to the US. The two words have an historical meaning that is why your opinion will not be the same as mine.
*CarloS*   Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:38 am GMT
Long time ago... Demographic studies about the population in here were done... People were labelled as "black" (afroperuvians), "white" (European descendants and white Amerindians), etc... BUT once you stepped on the US ground you were automatically labelled as "Hispanic".

Your "real race" didn't matter, the US threw all Latin Americans in the same bag.

Gladly now, it's over and the US Census Bureau recognizes "Hispanic" is NOT a race.

But now I see Brazilians have some issues about being labelled as
"Hispanic/Latino". They shouldn't feel offended, just like a Bolivian shouldn't be offended if he is asked if he's from Mexico. See my point? People from the US aren't exactly very aware about what's going on here.

It might seem worthless to explain to a person from the US that Italy and France are Latin, because they'll look at you as if you were saying they're Hispanic.

But hey, I've seen a lot of native Francophones here asserting their Latinity, but, WOULD THEY LABEL THEMSELVES AS "HISPANIC/LATINO" IF THEY WERE COUNTED ON THE CENSUS? Probably not. SO NO WONDER WHY PEOPLE FROM THE US DON'T CONSIDER FRENCH LATIN. I won't touch that topic now though because I don't want to get hundreds of replies from Francophones.
Gringo   Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:01 am GMT
««WOULD THEY LABEL THEMSELVES AS "HISPANIC/LATINO" IF THEY WERE COUNTED ON THE CENSUS?»»

There is a big confusion about the real meaning of Hispanic and Latino, because the meaning it has in the US is different from the historical ones.

Should we then assume then that Irish, Scottish and Welsh descendents in the US could be called Hispanic too, and not feel offended? Makes more sense than calling Amerindians or Brazilians (those that are not Portuguese or Spanish descendents) Hispanics.

Hispanic does not refer just to Latin Hispania but also to Protoceltic - Celtic and Iberian Hispania (Portugal, Spain) before it was totally “pacified” by the Romans.
http://www.arqueotavira.com/Mapas/Iberia/Populi.htm

The Picts and the Mil Espaine may have been the Iberian and Celts that left the lands of the Iberian peninsula and settled in Scotland and Ireland.
http://members.tripod.com/~Halfmoon/
http://www.timelessmyths.com/celtic/minorceltic.html

Even genetic evidence gives a boost to this theory.
http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/09/09/story165780.html

Who should be called Hispanics and who should be called Latinos?
If we follow the linguistic approach, then, all the Latin derived language speakers shouldn’t also be called Latino? Or if we follow the historical approach, shouldn’t all the Ireland Welsh and Scottish descendents be called Hispanics?

Putting labels, on people, creating a base for discrimination, could just fireback. The thing is that the US definition of Latino or of Hispanic is a made up one.
Tiffany   Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:33 pm GMT
<<It might seem worthless to explain to a person from the US that Italy and France are Latin, because they'll look at you as if you were saying they're Hispanic.>>

Just to correct this: I'm American and I definitely think the Spanish, French and Italians are Latin. The Americans on this board (particularly Uriel and I) have gone over the split between "Latino" and "Latin" in the US ad nauseum and it seems to go in one ear and out the other. I can't bother wasting my time and explaining again as 1) someone will tell me I am wrong and that they know America better than me (the American) or 2) disregard my comment altogether.
Tiffany   Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:44 pm GMT
I'd like to add: no one knows where the US "latino" came from, but on view is that we got the name from the natives of Latin America - who called themselves "latino". I think this seems pretty plausible.

On "hispanic" - I am neutral on the term and won't use it unless someone calls themselves "hispanic" - which happens plenty.
Kelly   Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:11 pm GMT
is cameron diaz classified as LATINA in the us census?
Ed   Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:42 am GMT
<<is cameron diaz classified as LATINA in the us census? >>

A person's ethnicity in the Census is determined by the person himself/herself. So if she feels Hispanic, then she is. But as far as I know she doesn't identify with the Hispanic culture.
JGreco   Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:55 am GMT
In fact Cameron Diaz does identify with the Latino Community eventhough many people who are ignorant and place only one certain type of look as the look of a Latino person. This is what she said below in this interview .It is not a link you will have to type it into the address bar.

http://www.eonline.com/Celebs/Qa/Diaz/intrview2.html
JGreco   Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:56 am GMT
well I feel stupid I didn't know it automatically made a link so the link does work.
A-Z   Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:33 pm GMT
“I'm sorry for you but your assertion is not common. Your definition for hispanic is also flawed. Hispanic refers to in reality people who are decended from ancesters from Spain.”

That is the US definition of Hispanic.

1-Hispania was the name given by the Romans to the Iberian Peninsula (modern Portugal, Spain, Andorra and Gibraltar)

2-Iberia is the name the Greeks gave to Hispania.

3-Hispanicu was the Latin name the Romans gave to the inhabitants of Hispania.

4-Hispanic is the English name for the Latin name Hispanicu, Hispanico is the same name in Spanish.

5-Spanish is the English name for Español.

6-Spain is the English name for España.

Map of Spanish kingdoms:

NOTICE IT IS NOT BECAUSE THERE WAS A KINGDOM CALLED SPAIN IT IS BECAUSE THE WAS A PENINSULA CALLED SPAIN.

http://historymedren.about.com/library/atlas/blatmapsp1360.htm

When Ferdinand succeeded his father as King of Aragon in 1479, the Crown of Castile and the various territories of the Crown of Aragon were united in a personal union creating for the first time since the 8th century a single political unit which might be called Spain, although the various territories were not properly administered as a single unit until the 18th century.[Wikipedia]

SO DO NOT MAKE CONFUSION only after the kingdom of Castile changed its name to Kingdom of Spain it became the name of a nation and no longer the name of a peninsula.
Jorge Augusto   Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:40 am GMT
Minha gente, essa discussão de Tupy or not Tupy é tão velha, tal ultrapassada que me senti no túnel do tempo. Há outros temas a serem discutidos como o acesso de falantes do português popular ao português culto quer seja o do Brasil quer seja o de Portugal quer seja o de Angola.