Romanian a MADE up language

Luis Zalot   Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:33 pm GMT
S.P.Q.R; You and I know the facts and there are here and in past threads. She or he (sorin) should* know already, and NOT be narrow-minded and bable-on about fantast ideas.

Let's not get into the notion of "seeing" who holds MORE truth, because it's rather "tiring"

"Nihil Sine Labore" Classical-latin
Nada Sin Labor (spanish)
Niente Senza Lavoro (italian)
Nothing without work (English)

Veni, Vidi, Dormivi Classical latin
Vine,Vi,Dormi-(Spanish)
I came, I saw, I slept.. (Engish)

Corripe Cervisiam...Classical latin
Aproveche la cerveza (spanish)
Seize the beer! (english)

Ante bellum- Classical latin
Antes (de) la guerra (spanish)
Before the war (english)

Terra firma- classical latin
Tierra firme (spanish)
Solid ground (english)

Veni, vidi, vici -Classical latin
Vine,vi,venci (spanish)
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Veritas Lux Mea-classical latin
La luz es mi verdad (spanish)
The truth is my light (english)

Odi et amo-classical latin
yo amo y odiaba (spanish)
I hated and I love (english)

amor et odi-classical latin
amor y odio (spanish)
love and hate (english)

Novus Ordo Seclorum-classical latin
Nuevo orden secular(spanish)
New secular order (english)

Rara avis-classical latin
Un ave raro (spanish)
A rare bird (english)

Quid Novi-classical latin
Que es nuevo? (spanish)
What's New? (english)

Te Amo-classical latin
Te amo (spanish)
I love you (english)

further sentances, go here (This is what S.P.Q.R and I are refering to "Sorin" Spanish and Italian have "phonology & syntax resemblence to Classical Latin & Vulgar Latin, respectively.

http://www.rktekt.com/ck/LatSayings.php

And when it comes to "verb-conjuctioning" Spanish/Italian/Sardinian are the most closely in their own way to Classical latin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Italian

Tu corri (informal, singular "thou runeth")

lei corre (formal, singular "you run")

loro correno (formal, plural "you guys run")

voi correte (informal, plural "ye others runeth")

noi corriamo ("we others run"

------------------------------------------------------------------
Castilian spanish-

Tu corres (informal, singular "thou runeth")

Usted corre (formal,singular "you run")

Ustedes corren (formal, plural "you others run")

Vosotros corréis (informal, plural "ye others runeth")

Nosotros corremos ("we others run")

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Sardinian-

tu curres

???? curret

????? curren

vois corredzis (also, currete)

nois curremus

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Classical Latin-

Tu curres (informal, singular "thou runeth")

Vos curret (formal, singular "ye runeth")

II current (formal, plural "you others run")

Vobis curretis (formal, plural "ye others runeth")

Nobis curremus (we others run)

loro correno (formal, plural "you guys run")

voi correte (informal, plural "ye others runeth")

noi corriamo ("we others run"

And, to conclude this. Spanish is the MOST spoken language in the world LIKE "Classical Latin" was before (lingua franca). Something "Romanian" will never possess. Italian will "ALWAYS" be learnt by spanish speakers and will always live on as the "language of love" etc. And while, romanian will only drift and fall and become extinct.
Luis Zalot   Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:34 pm GMT
CORRECTION;

Classical Latin-

Tu curres (informal, singular "thou runeth")

Vos curret (formal, singular "ye runeth")

II current (formal, plural "you others run")

Vobis curretis (formal, plural "ye others runeth")

Nobis curremus (we others run)
greg   Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:23 pm GMT
Allan : « I would like to point out that romanian has the closest syntax to classical latin and thus is the closest language to latin in a grammatical sesnse. »

Peux-tu démontrer ce que tu affirmes ?

Luis Zalot : « Sardinian's phonology is the CLOSEST to "Classical latin" then comes Italian & Spanish then Romanian. »

Peux-tu démontrer ce que tu affirmes ?
augustin717   Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:57 am GMT
Here I am a Romanian proud of his partly Slavic origins.
Claiming that Romanian comes from CLASSICAL Latin is nonsense, since all Romance languages come from Vulgar Latin. Romanian makes no exception to this. However, because of its isolation from Western Romance languages it developed or retained many peculiarities found in no other Romance language. The fact that some Classical Latin words are only found in Romanian (not as loan words) doesn't mean that our ancestors spoke Classical Latin. It only means that the sort of Vulgar Latin spoken in Eastern Europe overlapped sometimes the so-called "Classical" use.
Now, as to the extent of the Slavic influence on Romanian, I am not sure, but I'd say that this is still greater when compared to the Germanic influence on Italian or Spanish. Anyway it would be misleading to assume that since, let's say, Italian sounds more like Latin , Italian inhereited more from Latin than Romanian. The explanation lies elsewhere:while all Romance languages inherited from Latin quite evenly, Western Romance languages maintained, even after their formation a close contact with Ecclesiastical Latin whence they borrowed continuously. Romanian, on the contrary, roughly remained with what it got from Latin at the stage of its moulding. Afterwards almost all its ties with Latin were severed until the massive re-Latinisation of the 19th ant 20th centuries, when many Latin and French loan words made their way into the Romanian language.
But before this re-Latinisation (which I am not very happy with) Romanian
borrowed mostly from Slavonic, which was the idiom used by the State and the Church.
Not all Slavic words found in Romanian, however, come from Church Slavonic. Most of those that entered the core vocabulary of the Romanian language are older and were directly borrowed into Romanian between the 6th and the 9th or 10th century from the Slavic population Proto-Romanians co-existed and eventually merged with.
Luis Zalot   Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:08 am GMT
augustin717, finally.....a person whom is accepting and professional about it and articulate as well. Cheers.

Albanian, is also conversed in the "declension" only 4*....and has vast
inheritance from Latin. So why doesn't anybody realize that THEY too
could be considered an romance language in a sense (evolved to a sense "like" French has evolved from "classical & vulgar-latin.)respectively.

I give you this, Romanian did perserved the "declension" and the distiniction of the "long" o and "long" a of Classical-latin & some classical latin words. (either in fragments or ad initio.) example

(we enter)
Romanian "Noi intram"
Classical latin; "Nobis intramus."
Italian; "Noi entriamo"
Spanish; "Nosotros entramos"

(ditch)
Romanian "Sat"
Classical latin; "Fossatum".
Italian; "fosso."
Spanish; "foso/fosa/zanja."

(sand)
Romanian "nisip"
Classical latin;(h)arena.
Italian; sabbia
Spanish; arena.

(to 'have' and to 'hold')
Romanian; "avea & tine"
Classical Latin; "habere & tenere"
Italian; "avere & tenere"
Spanish; "haber & tener"

etc.....

Although, Spanish & Italian are CONVERSATIVE in "Classical latin's" written form and phonology. As showned. (as well as Sardinian)

"Spanish often holds similarities to Classical latin's Grammar and is the "ONLY" one that has the "sibilant s" and is also the only romance language to perserved "b" instead of 'v', example:
haber/caballo/probar/labor etc...Also, the distinction of "ct" in secondary or first words which often it's of "ch". which all the other romance languages MENTIONED; chosed "tt" (italian) and "pt" (romanian) & "t" (sardinian)

Flaws, almost none; with moderate Arabic influence within it. (it's flexible in various times to avoid using arabic words.) For instance,
Ditch can be said in three ways and still understood; "fosa/foso/zanja"
the first two of latin decent and the third of "arabic" decent. respectively

"Italian holds similarities to Classical latin's vocabulary & phonology.
Is considered one of the closest to "CLASSICAL LATIN" in various aspects.

Flaws, almost none.

"Sardinian holds the BEST to Classical latin's Phonology & oftenly to it's vocabulary/verb conjunctioning & grammar."

Flaws, none.

Romanian often holds similarities to Classical latin's archaic words & distinction between the long o and short o & long a and short a, respectively, and is the ONLY romance language to have the declension. Also, somewhat in the grammar and ROMANIA'S "captial" variant tongue resembling that of "Italian."

Flaws are it's VAST slavic etc. influence in phonology and syntax & grammar.
Guest   Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:12 am GMT
Brennus,
Yes, Romanian bears closer ressemblance to Classical Latin in its MORPHOLOGY. But that doesn't necessarily mean that our ancestors read Caesar or Vergilius; it only means that Vulgar Latin in the second and the third centuries was not entirely unified and that there were important differences between the Vulgar sort of Latin spoken in the Eastern part of Europe and the Latin spoken in the Western Europe. Besides that, Western Romance languages have always formed a continuum. Romanian, however, was totally separated from them and this explains much of its different appearence.
I haven't been able to read thoroughly all that has been written on this topic, but the level of sheer ignorance displayed by some who in their desire to prove that Romanian is "the most Latin language ever", and to minimize/deny the Slavic influence, bring as arguments words such as "amor" "amorez" and others of the same knead , amazes me. Yes, Romanian comes from Latin but all Latin words present in a Romanian dictionary cannot be brought indiscriminately as proofs to the Romance character of Romanian.
By the way, "amor", "amorez" etc are "precious' (viz. ridiculous) 19th century loanwords no one uses, except as mockery, althoug they had a brief life in the poetry of the 19th century.
Luis Zalot   Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:14 am GMT
Correction;

"Historically, Rumanian continues a Latin distinction between long o and short u, fused in most other Romance language like Italian and Spanish"
augustin717   Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:22 am GMT
Romanian has conserved dialectally (on the Western Carpathians' region) "arina" (<Lat. harena) too, instead of the Slavic "nisip" common elsewhere.
And the "guest" above, was the same "augustin717".
Luis Zalot   Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:37 am GMT
augustin717, thanks for your appreciative reference.

Although "arena" for spanish is universal. Spanish has some "Archaic" words of Classical latin not used in any other romance language...I'll find some and you let me know if there some in the Romanian Language or dialects.
Luis Zalot   Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:43 am GMT
Old Latin (also called Early Latin or Archaic Latin —75 BC ) refers to the period of Latin texts before the age of Classical Latin.

Phonological characteristics of older Latin are the case endings -os and -om (later Latin -us and -um), as well as the existence of diphthongs such as oi and ei (later Latin ū or oe, and ī). In many locations, classical Latin turned intervocalic /s/ into /r/. This had implications for declension: early classical Latin, honos, honoris; Classical honor, honoris ("honor"). Some Old Latin texts preserve /s/ in this position, such as the Carmen Arvale's lases for lares.

According to this, Italian & Spanish have inherited the "OM/OS" from "old latin." BEFORE "classical latin" NATURAL phemoneon? or reference it? Who knows.....Spanish "O/OS" Italian "O/I"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Latin

"with a quite immoral gladiator" Cicero wrote;
"cum uno gladiatore nequissimo" Classical Latin
"con un gladiador inmoral" Spanish
"con un gladiatore immorale" Italian

Spanish

"HONOR"
Old latin; Honos/honoris
Classical latin; Honor
Italian; Onore
Spanish; Honor
Romanian; onoare

"TREE"
Classical latin; arbor
Spanish; arbol
Italian; albero
Romanian; smochin/copac

"WALL"
Classical latin; Murum
Spanish; muro/pared
Italian; muro/parete
Romanian; perete

"SKY"
Classical latin; Caelum
Spanish; Cielo
Italian; Cielo
Romanian; Cer

"ROSE"
Classical latin; rosa
Italian; rosa
Spanish; rosa
Romanian; trandafir

"BEAK"
Classical latin; rostrum
Italian; becco
Spanish; rostro/pico
Romanian; cioc/pinten

"Sword"
Classical latin; Spatha/Gladius
Spanish; Espada/gladio
Italian; Spada/gladiolo
Romanian; sabie/spadă/gladiolă

Well, I guess Spanish and Italian have the most similar, while romanian does too on some words.
greg   Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:17 am GMT
Luis Zalot : « Classical latin; "Nobis intramus." »

???

Essaie plutôt avec La <ingredimur> ou La <intramus>...

La <nobis> est un datif ou ablatif — pas un nominatif (et qui plus est n'est pas nécessaire car la désinence verbale suffit à préciser la personne et le nombre).
S.P.Q.R   Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:52 am GMT
Nobis intramus is not correct is intramus nos or simply engredimur.
I agree with Luis Zalot and with Augustin717
Sorin   Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:12 pm GMT
I am not surprised to see the academic level and the fluency in English of some Romanians posting here, as compared with some sub-mediocre and ludicrous “latino” posters mumbling in broken English, such as S.P.Q.R, and other famous “latino” trolls.

First of all, this cultural boycott is a rebound reaction to a Romanian profile, being more Classical than the rest. The Machiavellism of this thread lies not in linguistics, but rather in psychology and sociology.

A diagnosis could be given, based on the cultural ignorance from Western Europe.

-Only 20% of French, Spanish, and 30% of Italians have knowledge of Romanian being a Romance language. The rest believe Romanian is a Slavic language related to Polish. In their minds Hungarian is a Slavic language too. Some westerners believe Greek is a Slavic language as well.

The stereotype of Eastern Europe = Slavic, is a strong preconception in Western Europe. Their perplexed reaction and the cultural boycott, lies in ignorance and preconceptions, along with the “eastern-invasion” syndrome.

If you expect a biased opinion, don’t ask some Machiavellic Italians or other “latino” trolls having some hard times dealing with the cramps of envy. A neutral poster like Brennus already noticed the classicisms of Romanian, among the other Romance “wishy-washy” languages, that intermixed and were diluted for centuries, being subject to a forced medieval Latin influence for 700 years, and lets don’t mention the holocaustic and anti-cultural catholic inquisition- persona non grata…

Dear "augustin717" , there is nothing wrong with the Slavic influence ( an indo-European language) compared with the Arabic influence in Spanish and Sicilian. Boycotting Romanian. It’s just like saying French is a Frankish language.

In tot cazul, idea lor despre Limba Romana este preconceputa, de subcultura vestica si denaturata de misticism si de Dracula. Vezi, sindromul “invazia-estica”

Salutare si toate bune!
S.P.Q.R   Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:58 pm GMT
Sorin:
References are given, read those books instead of psamming YOUR Personal opinion about romanian. do not care about the level of my written english, care about your compèlete ignorance of C. Latin grammar instead.
Secondly This is not the raction to romanian being the closest, but to romanian being derived form C.Latin. Sorin, why you have to refuse truth? Do you think that you have all the knowledge in the world to contrast such linguist such as J. Segre?
Remember what someone said:
Ingorantia est scire nesciendo
greg   Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:01 pm GMT
S.P.Q.R : « Nobis intramus is not correct » + « I agree with Luis Zalot ».

Tu as besoin de repos S.P.Q.R —> Luis Zalot : « Classical latin; "Nobis intramus." »

La version correcte est La <ingredimur> ou La <intramus>.