Disc and disk

Guest   Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:19 pm GMT
What is the difference between disc and disk? I'm confused. I was told disk refers to a 'floppy disk' and disc is used in 'Compact disc' but I think it sound the same. Or am I saying them wrong?
Guest   Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:22 pm GMT
Floppy disks were developed in the United States and so take the American spelling. Compact discs were developed in Europe (the physical bit, anyway) and take the European spelling.

Strange language I know. ;)
Guest   Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:21 pm GMT
Compact Disc were invented by the Dutch... not brits
Ant_222   Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:25 pm GMT
Also HDDs are discs. And most of non-computer meanings refer to "disk".
Guest   Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:13 pm GMT
>Compact Disc were invented by the Dutch... not brits <

Where did I say Brits? I said European or are you feeling abit anti European at the moment.

PS: Don't worry I know the Olympics are on and the European Union is placed on the back burner for the time being. ;)

Go the Netherlands!
Jim   Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:48 pm GMT
I spell it "floppy disc" and if you want to do the same or want to spell it "compact disc", go ahead. Though it's an interesting explanation.
Jim   Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:28 am GMT
Typo: should be "... or want to spell it 'compact disk', ..."
Mike   Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:32 am GMT
<<"floppy disc">>

Do you also write "floppy discette", Jim? "disk" is short for "diskette", so I don't see why it would be "disc".
Mike   Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:37 am GMT
I think to most people, a disc is what you put in your D drive and a disk is what you put in your A drive.
Jim   Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:41 am GMT
Surely it's just different spellings for the same thing. You might write "mollusk" but "molluska" instead of "mollusca" is wrong.
Mike   Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:52 am GMT
<<Surely it's just different spellings for the same thing.>>

Not for me. A disc goes in the D drive and a disk goes in the A drive. According to Google results for "floppy disk" and "compact disc" versus the results for "floppy disc" and "compact disk", most people make this same spelling distinction.
Jim   Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:47 am GMT
What about other kinds of disc?
Uriel   Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:55 am GMT
The US uses both disc and disk. Neither is inherently American, as far as I know.
Geoff_One   Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:00 am GMT
Disk brakes on cars - front wheels.
Drum brakes on cars - back wheels.
Recent cars?
David   Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:26 pm GMT
Both 'disk' and 'disc' are correct spellings, which have always been used in the English language. In the 20th century, 'disk' became the more usual spelling in the US, and 'disc' became the more usual spelling in the UK.
An exception is the following:
An optical disk is usually spelt 'disc' (e.g. compact disc) and a magnetic disk is spelt 'disk' (e.g. hard disk).