Will Spanish and Chinese overcome English?

Chinese   Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:21 am GMT
Ella

Frankly speaking, Japanese sounds even more beautiful than Chinese.

実は、日本語を勉強するのはとても楽しいよ、一緒に頑張って下さいね。
greg   Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:03 am GMT
Ça nous fait une belle jambe !
OlO   Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:45 am GMT
I don't like such languages without nasal consonants as Japanese, Thai, etc.
CHINESE   Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:01 am GMT
Chinese language has a lot of nasal consonances.
Nostradamus   Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:43 pm GMT
The way a language sounds sometimes has to do with the way a specific person speaks. For example a news reporter, generally a professional of locution, will sound much better than anybody else so it's not fair to judge a whole language if you have heard just a couple of persons speaking. For example, German could sound quite harsh if you hear Rammstein but could sound good if you hear "99 Luftballons"

There are languages that sound too rough and that have no good sonority. Just look at the popularity of songs in such languages in the world and you will know which they are.
JR   Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:02 am GMT
You're right, Chinese spoken on the few Chinese TV Channesl I get sounds completely different to me than the Chinese I hear spoken in the streets, perhaps because I do not know what they are saying. I see the same difference between spoken French and Spanish, and "formal" French and Spanish, such as, how you said, the language coming from a journalist. Perhaps these are "slang" versions of the languages. (What I mean is, that these languages are not being spoken properly, such as replacing (En) Want to with "Wanna" or (Sp) Pues with "Pos"). I know very little about Chinese, and it seems to me impossible to master, even modern Chinese with latin characters seems hard to me. And I wouldnt use pop music as an example of the languages, you have to admit that 50 Cent and Daddy Yankee are not the best examples of their respective languages.
-   Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:19 am GMT
I think all the talk about chinese being hard is wrong. Chinese also finds it hard to learn english! I think there is no such thing as a hard or easy languge, it all depends on your determination to learn that language.
greg   Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:30 am GMT
- : tout à fait d'accord !
Aldo   Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:17 am GMT
Die dulci fruere (have a nice day!)
-   Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:27 pm GMT
It is not a fact, greg!
JR   Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:15 pm GMT
A mi se me hace difícil aprender Chino porque es completamente diferente a los lenguajes que yo estoy acostumbrado. Yo estoy acostumbrado del formato de las lenguas romances, y Chino esta completamente diferente. El lenguaje Chino no tiene alfabeto, no tiene conjugaciones, no tiene ninguna palabra común, no tiene la misma pronunciación o la misma gramática que los lenguajes a quien yo estoy acostumbrado. Yo no podría aprender Alemán o Noruego fácilmente porque son lenguajes muy diferentes, tienen poco común con el español, excepto que usan el alfabeto latín. Pero eso es algo, porque estos lenguajes tienen gramática y palabras comunes con Ingles, a quien yo estoy acostumbrado también. Pero ingles no es completamente una lengua germánica, la influencia francesa no es difícil de reconocer. Tal vez Chino no sea tan difícil, pero para mí, ese lenguaje esta un poco sobre mi limite.
Candy   Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:16 pm GMT
<<It is not a fact, greg! >>

Greg said that he totally agrees with you - nothing about a 'fact'.

<<tout à fait d'accord !>>
-   Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:48 am GMT
Je suis désolé. I just started learning français. Could those who write in french please include english translations so that i know the difference between the conjunction in english and french?Merci Beaucoup!
greg   Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:45 am GMT
- : je n'utilise pas l'anglais sur ce site en signe de protestation contre la façon dont il est structuré — section monolingue / section multilingue.
-   Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:55 am GMT
Can greg please include translations? I really don't understand what you mean. Merci