Will Spanish and Chinese overcome English?

Candy   Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:13 pm GMT
greg's message: <<- : je n'utilise pas l'anglais sur ce site en signe de protestation contre la façon dont il est structuré — section monolingue / section multilingue.>>

Translation:
I don't use English on this site as a protest against the way it's structured - 'English section' and 'Languages' section.
Amatire   Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:05 pm GMT
I'm having a little trouble reading some of the characters on this thread. Am I missing a patch or a d/l?
-   Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:30 am GMT
That is because most people online use English, you have to recognise that it is the language of the internet. I myself is not a native English speaker but I have to learn English. I have just started learning français too!
Nostradamus   Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:34 pm GMT
>je n'utilise pas l'anglais sur ce site en signe de protestation contre la façon dont il est structuré — section monolingue / section multilingue.

That's ok Greg but aren't you "punishing" people who don't understand French too ?

Anyway it seems your protest hasn't had any effect and sincerelly I doubt it will.
FOR GREG   Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:03 pm GMT
>I don't use English on this site as a protest against the way it's structured - 'English section' and 'Languages' section

greg. why do you protest? This site, antimoon.com was designed by two polish enthusiasts (dorks in my view) to help other people learn English. And English only, it was not designed as a multilingual site, later on the site grew, attracting multilingual interest , and was inappropriate for the site to continue in that old manner, So a “language section” was created. But don’t forget this website was designed for English only. The language section is just an add-on.

So, your protest is ridiculous. This website is not discriminatory, it was designed as a primary English language website-forum, and not multilingual. I repeat “the language forum” is an add-on and nothing more.

You should better start writing in English. Or try unlilang- a multilingual site-forum. This one was meant for English only. And is not discriminatory in any way.
JR   Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:05 am GMT
What he said ^^^

Or you could just include a translation, I would find that more useful. I'm learning french, and while I get most of what you say, I dont get all of it. It would also help me learn better if you included a translation.
-   Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:47 am GMT
That was what i was trying get greg do! So that i can learn french! But he is so conservative that he refuses to do it! I think he is a french chauvinist to the extreme of simply refusing to write english although he knows it!
greg   Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:59 am GMT
Merci Candy pour la traduction et à tous pour les commentaires. Je suis déjà sur Unilang et je répondrai à ceux qui parlent un peu vite que 1/ j'utilise également l'allemand — 2/ le fait qu'Antimoon était anglophone à l'origine ne le dispense pas d'innover et de créer autant de forums que de langues utilisées sur ce site.
-   Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:33 am GMT
Omg, greg, if u are insulting me, at least tell me what u are insulting me about?
Tan   Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:00 pm GMT
I don't see what's the fuss about using French when every educated man should have a passive knowledge of the language already. English is my mother tongue, but I learnt French in school. I am not complaining.

If you dislike the medium of language which Greg has every prerogative to choose, don't read what he writes. Ultimately, it's to your detriment. Don't go around getting your knickers into a twist, I say.
-   Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:39 pm GMT
Don't assume that every educated man know french. This is an insult to people who don't know french! Tan is a chinese surname and i guess you are a Chinese Singaporean. You are a typical Chinese who has forsaked your language and taken up western languges!
Candy   Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:59 pm GMT
<<Omg, greg, if u are insulting me, at least tell me what u are insulting me about?>>

He's not insulting you! Don't be so paranoid. Greg doesn't insult other posters.

Here's a translation of greg's message at 5.59am above:

"Thank you Candy [you're welcome!] for the translation and to everyone for their comments. I'm already on unilang and in response to those who answered a bit too quickly - 1) I write in German too and 2) the fact that Antimoon was originally Anglophone does not prevent (exempt?) it from innovating and creating as many forums as there are languages used on this site."
-   Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:15 pm GMT
Sorry Greg for misunderstanding you!
Tan   Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:17 pm GMT
Well, the replies sure came back fast and furious. To that nice young albeit anonymous gentleman who postulated that I am a Chinese Singaporean, he's right on the spot. As to whether I've forsaken my own heritage, I'd like to say that I can still speak Hainanese as well as Mandarin. Can Mr Anonymous speak for himself?

It is not with an air of superiority when I declared that an educated man ought to have at least a passive reading knowledge of French. The buck doesn't stop here. He should also be aware of the multilinggual realities in which we live in and not stick rigidly to a bilingual world where English along with the mother tongue predominates.

Greg writes in French to show that French is not inferior to English as a medium of communication. Et si j’écris en français aussi, c’est pour souligner le fait que l’anglais n’est pas la seule langue mondiale. Il vous faut prendre conscience du monde dans lequel on vit et c’est que l’on aura affaire à un nombre de langues dans la vie quotidienne.

Je voudrais ajouter qu’il m’en faut beaucoup de m’offenser mais cette fois, ma limite est presque atteinte. La vague anti-française dans ce forum est épouvantable. Il faut avoir la liberté de parole et surtout la liberté de choisir sa propre langue dans n’importe quelle discussion. Si les langues étrangères ne vous intéressent pas, ce n’est pas l’endroit pour vous.

PS: Vous avez le droit de ne pas tenir compte de mes paroles si vous ne comprenez pas. There's absolutely no reason to be at loggerheads with someone whom you cannot understand. Bolehkah awak faham?
-   Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:33 pm GMT
I totally agree that NO language is inferior to english. I myself is not a native English speaker, but precisely because of multilingal realities, we must have a medium language of communication and it seems english is the one, at least for now(I doubt it will hold on to that position for long).
So I just hope that greg can write translations as i am a begginner in french. Don't forget that if everyone writes in their own mother tongue then communication will be impossible. Why say that an educated man ought to have at least a passive reading knowledge of French, isn't that biased toward other languges. What about Chinese, Spainish or German or any other languages? I apologise if i offended anyone.