A Scandinavian language

Thomas   Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:31 pm GMT
I'd like to have a discussion with my fellow Scandinavians.
What do you think will happen with our languages? Will they slowly disappear because of other languages, like English, or will they grow stronger, fx. become ONE language? They all come from the same old language and are still very close. One thing is the written language, what about the spoken ones? Do you find it difficult to understand Danish/Swedish/Norwegian? Do you talk in your own language when you visit another Scandinavian country? Do you think it is a good thing that students are allowed to write in Danish if they study in Sweden?
Thomas   Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:37 pm GMT
By the way, I am Danish.

I hope that the languages will unite someday. I enjoy talking to Norwegians or Swedes. I work in a store, and I always want to speak with the customers from N and S. I do not have problems with understanding them. If i get into trouble, then I simply ask them to speak slower. I like the way they threat new words in Norway and Sweden. They make new words for the English or try to make them look Swedish or Norwegian. Denmark doesn't make any effort. We just "copy" into our language. I always talk in my own language when I meet Scandinavians.
T   Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:48 pm GMT
Also, it would be a good idea that the languages "joined", a language with 19 million will be taken more seriously than one with only 4-9 million.
Sander   Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:54 pm GMT
The chance that the Scandinavian languages will all dissapear or be replaced is extremely small.But the idea that they will reunite with eachother is quite possible,afterall the differences between Danish,Swedish and Norwegian (bokmal) are smaller than with some dialects of other languages.If that ought to happen what would be the name of that new language?
The Swede   Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:09 pm GMT
I don´t think Swedish or any of the Scandinavian languages will fade away. I wrote yesterday (somewhere on this site) that Swedish will not die and I have not changed my mind. I can also see some benefits the Swedish language has v.s for example English. It´s very easy to make new verbs in Swedish. You only add an a when you miss a/some verb(s). For example sms is the same as the english one and it´s a quite new word. Smsa is the word for send or write an sms. The same with disk which means dish, and diska means do the dishes.
I can also say that I use the Swedish language when I visit Denmark or Norway.
The Swede   Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:44 pm GMT
Thomas, you shall visit
http://14.freebb.com/index.php?freebb=antimoonbis.

There are a topic about Scandinavian languages and it should be interesting to see a comment from you as a Dane becouse we have Fredrik a Norwegian, I a Swede, people who are interest about Scandinavia and Kirk an american whos grandfather or something was a Swedish emigrant who sattled down in America. We don´t have a Dane yet so you are welcome.
Sander   Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:47 pm GMT
Heh heh heh,Kirk will like your introduction ;) "Fredrik a Norwegian, I a Swede and oh,there's Kirk an american whose grandfather or something was a Swedish emmigrant who settled down in America." Hahahaha. :)
The Swede   Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:51 pm GMT
sure, he will :)
Sander   Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:55 pm GMT
But you're right a Dane would be an great "expansion" of the Forum.
t   Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:01 pm GMT
the link that you gave says that the community does not excist :-/
t   Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:02 pm GMT
works now.
Sander   Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:03 pm GMT
Swede is an idiot he can't help it ;)

here's the link:

http://14.freebb.com/?freebb=antimoonbis
t   Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:07 pm GMT
found the thread...reading it now.
t   Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:20 pm GMT
danish people think that danish is more clear than norwegian and swedish. you people almost sing when you talk :P
The Swede   Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:43 am GMT
Better to sing than a lot of mumble and other bullshit that no one understand. :p