Vive Le Quebec libre

Sigma   Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:46 pm GMT
PS : la réintégration du Labrador dans le Québec va de pair avec l'indépendance. >

Es cierto el Labrador era parte del Québec, pero el Canada lo separó del el. La palabra "Labrador" no es anglosajona, para empezar.
Candy   Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:57 pm GMT
<since when english is the official international language of the world ?!!... >

Not the 'official' one, no. But are you denying that English is a very important international language?

<Go out of your country and see by yourself that : - first, a lot of languages other than english are spoken (and more spoken than english) , and second alot of other languages than english are used as international languages, and even if you don't like it french is one of these languages (equally with arabic, spanish, portuguese russian or german.)>

Has anyone suggested that English is the 'only' language of the world?And please tell me which languages you think are spoken more than English?
Sigma   Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:22 pm GMT
Has anyone suggested that English is the 'only' language of the world?And please tell me which languages you think are spoken more than English? >

Go to Latin Europe, or Latin America and see how useful English is.

Chinese for example has more native speakers than English.
Spanish is very close in the number of native speakers, and some sources believe that Spanish has more native speakers than English of course I can't be sure, and English is still for political and economic reasons the language of business.

Check this:

The
30 Most Spoken Languages
of the World

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pos Language Family Script(s) Used Speakers
(Millions) Where Spoken (Major)
1 Mandarin Sino-Tibetan Chinese Characters 885 China, Malaysia, Taiwan
2 Spanish Indo-European Latin 332 South America, Central America, Spain
3 English Indo-European Latin 322 USA, UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand
4 Arabic Afro-Asiatic Arabic 235 Middle East, Arabia, North Africa
5 Bengali Indo-European Bengali 189 Bangladesh, Eastern India
6 Hindi Indo-European Devanagari 182 North and Central India
7 Portuguese Indo-European Latin 170 Brazil, Portugal, Southern Africa
8 Russian Indo-European Cyrillic 170 Russia, Central Asia
9 Japanese Altaic Chinese Characters and 2 Japanese Alphabets 125 Japan
10 German Indo-European Latin 98 Germany, Austria, Central Europe
11 Wu Sino-Tibetan Chinese Characters 77 China
12 Malay, Indonesian Malayo-Polynesian Latin 76 Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore
13 Korean Altaic Hangul 75 Korean Peninsula
14 French Indo-European Latin 72 France, Canada, West Africa, Central Africa
15 Turkish Altaic Latin 69 Turkey, Central Asia
16 Vietnamese Austroasiatic Based on Latin 68 Vietnam, China
17 Telugu Dravidian Telugu 67 Southern India
18 Cantonese Sino-Tibetan Chinese Characters 66 Southern China
19 Marathi Indo-European Devanagari 65 Western India
20 Tamil Dravidian Tamil 63 Southern India
21 Italian Indo-European Latin 59 Italy, Central Europe
22 Urdu Indo-European Nastaliq 58 Pakistan, India
23 Min Nan Sino-Tibetan Chinese Characters 49 China, Philippines, Indonesia
24 Jinyu Sino-Tibetan Chinese Characters 45 China
25 Gujerati Indo-European Gujerati 44 Western India, Kenya
26 Polish Indo-European Latin 44 Poland, Central Europe
27 Ukrainian Indo-European Cyrillic 41 Ukraine, Poland
28 Farsi (Persian) Indo-European Nastaliq 37 Iran, Afghanistan, Central Asia
29 Xiang Sino-Tibetan Chinese Characters 36 China
30 Malayalam Dravidian Malayalam 34 Southern India, Singapore

© 1997, 2003 Kryss Katsiavriades

http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html
Sander   Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:49 pm GMT
=>Has anyone suggested that English is the 'only' language of the world?And please tell me which languages you think are spoken more than English? <=

Spanish has more native speakers and so does Mandarin.
Candy   Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:59 pm GMT
<Go to Latin Europe, or Latin America and see how useful English is. >
Go to Asia or Australasia or Northern Europe or Southern Africa and see how useful French or Spanish are. In fact I know a German guy who can't speak Spanish but recently travelled round Latin America using English. But OK.....
You miss my point - I'm perfectly well aware that NOT everybody in the world speaks English, and there are some areas of the world where English is pretty useless as a form of communication, as you say. But English is still - in general - the most widely-spoken world language.

Thanks for posting the table of native speakers - very interesting. I've seen another table recently (don't know where, sorry - I'll see if I can find it). This one claimed that English is second in terms of native speakers, Hindi is third and Spanish fourth. I guess this only proves that it's extremely difficult to count language speakers! :)
I certainly would never deny that Spanish and Chinese have vast numbers of native speakers, and are very important languages. But how many people learn them as a foreign language?
Candy   Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:02 pm GMT
<Spanish has more native speakers and so does Mandarin.>

See my post, Sander. Do you really think that - overall, not only native speakers - more people in the world speak Spanish, or English?
Sander   Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:04 pm GMT
Read my post Candy what do you think I think.
Guest   Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:17 pm GMT
Read my post Candy what do you think I think. >

Which post, Sander??
Sander   Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:19 pm GMT
This one:

=>Has anyone suggested that English is the 'only' language of the world?And please tell me which languages you think are spoken more than English? <=

Spanish has more native speakers and so does Mandarin.
Candy   Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:23 pm GMT
Sander,
Still have no idea what your point is - that more people speak Spanish???
Sander   Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:28 pm GMT
Candy,

My point is that I rplied to this post :

=>Has anyone suggested that English is the 'only' language of the world?And please tell me which languages you think are spoken more than English?<=

I posted this:
=>Spanish has more native speakers and so does Mandarin. <=

You wrote:

=>See my post, Sander. Do you really think that - overall, not only native speakers - more people in the world speak Spanish, or English?<=

Which is not what I said or claimed.I was speaking about the number of native speakers.I don't see the problem.
Candy   Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:30 pm GMT
OK, Sander, whatever....
Gotta go - see ya later!
Sander   Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:32 pm GMT
I wasn't trying to offend you or anything! ;)
It's a bit of a mess here anyway.
Sigma   Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:33 pm GMT
Go to Asia or Australasia or Northern Europe or Southern Africa and see how useful French or Spanish are. In fact I know a German guy who can't speak Spanish but recently travelled round Latin America using English. But OK

I doubt your german friend was Ok with only english in Latin America and by the way go to Central Africa or West Africa and see if English is useful there because those are Francophone areas (French speaking parts).

I meet a couple of swedish guys who were very angry and mad because they only could speak english and they tought it was sufficient to came to Latin America they discovered that their English here was useless, they weren't able to communicate thus they suffered here a lot.
Sander   Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:50 pm GMT
Sigma, she isn't German,she's Brittish.