Is German really so hard? And English so easy?

Jav   Thu May 11, 2006 1:39 pm GMT
No no no, I know what you mean but that's not it what I meant,

>>Die Vase steht auf dem Tisch, whereas in English we'd probably say The vase IS on the table. <<

Is something else.

Imagine you're asleep while sitting in a chair.Somebody wakes you and you say: HE!!! I was sleeping!

In Dutch: Ik lag te slapen (I was * lay* sleeping) Or "I was lieing down sleeping" eventhough you were sitting. ;-)
Aquatar   Wed May 31, 2006 11:01 pm GMT
Jav

Thanks for your replies. Sorry to take a while to get back. I have to say from reading your examples of Dutch grammar I still doubt it is as complex as German. As for the am sitting/standing here thing, I would consider that an idiom. There are also many things in English that you have to say, simply because they sound right, and not because they are particularly logical or grammatical (if you want an example I'll have to think about it hehe). But if you are saying Dutch is full of things like that, it might well be harder than German, but then so is English I suspect. As far as basic grammar goes, I know English is simpler and am pretty sure Dutch is too, but as German is a rigid language once you get past the grammar, either of them could be harder.
nicolas   Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:44 pm GMT
i dont write in english very well, but i'll try.
i have a hesitation about the memory ,to ask you , when you read in another language....For example, my native language is spanish ,but i have to study in english all the texts to the test in the university and my capacity of rememmber the text is very lower than in spanish. I had understood the text, but after, when i was trying of remember it , i could not!.
Now i'm learning "deutsch", and i haven't the same trouble about it.
It´s really strange.
Sorry, about my broken english.

No escribo muy bien en ingles, pero trataré.
Tengo una duda acerca de la memoria ,para preguntarte; cuando tu lees en otro idioma...Por ejemplo, mi idioma nativo es el español (castellano), pero tengo que estudiar todos los textos para las pruebas de la universidad en ingles, y mi capacidad de recordar el texto es mucho mas baja que en español.Yo había entendido el texto, pero despues, cuando estaba tratando de recordarlo, no pude!
Ahora estoy aprendiendo aleman, y no tengo el mismo problema con esto.
Es realmente extraño.
Disculpas, por mi mal ingles.
huhu   Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:27 pm GMT
Heelo people !
The answer is : YES english is sooo easy. I love this language !! I have try to learn it , and im happy , because its easy !! Do you know waht im talking about ???
Bye kiss
Guest   Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:16 pm GMT
I'm really fed up with these silly questions! Everybody should know ( at least those who are interested in languages) that morphology is pretty hard in German, but English Spelling and syntax aren't easy at all.
Guest   Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:19 pm GMT
You're happy because it's easy? What if things get really difficult? Then, is it possible that you can get happy, too?
Guest   Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:39 pm GMT