American Accents

lily   Sat May 13, 2006 2:44 am GMT
This question has probably come up before but I couldn't find it in the archives so I'm asking it again! Please bear with me.

I'm an American with a midwest/chicago/californian/generic accent, and I'm fairly softspoken (i.e. not the loud stereotypical American tourist). I'm going to be studying abroad in London next year, and I was wondering what Londoners/British think about American accents.

I know in America that British/Scottish/Irish accents are often considered quite sexy, but what about American accents in London? Are generic American accents sexy to you guys, or annoying? What else? What do people from Great Britain think of when they hear an American speaking?
Kirk   Sat May 13, 2006 2:52 am GMT
<<I'm an American with a midwest/chicago/californian/generic accent>>

Whoa! I don't consider all of those accents to be the same! I'm from California and I can easily spot out a Midwestern or Chicagoan accent :) Also, I know it wasn't the point of your post but I'd dare say no one has a "generic" accent :)
lily   Sat May 13, 2006 3:11 am GMT
Ah! Sorry. I guess they're not all the same but to many untrained ears they are. I'm originally from the West coast and besides 'valley girl' accents sound pretty much the same to me up and down the coast (I noticed no difference in L.A. when I visited) and into the midwest. I suppose there is a distinct chicago style but I don't have a very good ear for that kind of thing.

I will clarify my previous statement and say 'newscaster's accent,' as in the accent that all national newscasters talk in.
George   Sat May 13, 2006 4:02 am GMT
<<I'm originally from the West coast and besides 'valley girl' accents sound pretty much the same to me up and down the coast (I noticed no difference in L.A. when I visited) and into the midwest.>>

I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to say here, and I'm wondering if my confusion stems from a simple matter of a lack of commas. Do you mean--

"I'm originally from the West Coast and, besides 'Valley Girl', accents sound pretty much the same to me up and down the coast (I noticed no difference in L.A. when I visited) and into the midwest." ?
lily   Sat May 13, 2006 4:14 am GMT
"besides 'valley girl' accents"

could also be read as

"with the exclusion or exception of 'Valley Girl' (used as a proper noun), all West coast accents sound the same to me."

Sorry if it was confusing.

now if only some brits would comment on this thread. . .
George   Sat May 13, 2006 4:24 am GMT
Sorry I don't mean to put you on the spot, lily, but I have to say that I'm a little surprised that, despite your not having a very good ear for accents, you are unable to differentiate between West Coast accents and Midwestern accents (including the very distinct Chicago dialect). Some of the differences (e.g. vowel lengths and vowel mergers, Canadian raising in some varieties of northern Midwest speech, etc.) aren't so subtle.

<<I will clarify my previous statement and say 'newscaster's accent,' as in the accent that all national newscasters talk in.>>

You don't actually think that all national newscasters speak with the same accent do you?
lily   Sat May 13, 2006 5:01 am GMT
yep, I honestly can't tell the difference. I'm a university student and I've met people from all over the country and I have a hard time telling where they are from unless it is boston or the deep south. And even then I have trouble.

This isn't me generalizing things to be silly, I really hear all newscasters on national news channels like CNN talking with the same accents (I think they even have to get voice lessons if they don't).

But again, I think I'm unusually dense when it comes to the subtleties of American accents.
Candy   Sat May 13, 2006 5:47 am GMT
Hi Lily,
I'm British. I'd say that our attitude to American accents is far more positive than negative - although there is a certain anti-Americanism rather prevalent these days, unfortunately (all over Europe, probably less in Britain than elsewhere). My other half is Canadian - most British people would never know the difference between Canadian and American accents - and he's never had a negative reaction. On the contrary, people have always been interested - "Oh, where are you from?" They do stare at him in the supermarket, etc, but then I get the same reaction in the US and Canada. :-)

Also, remember that London is huge, and possibly the most multi-cultural city in the world. Some really high percentage of the population is not British at all, so it's quite likely that nobody will bat an an eyelid at your accent anyway! ;)

Good luck in London - I'm sure you'll have a blast! It's a really exciting place.
Guest   Sat May 13, 2006 8:38 am GMT
On the contrary, the usual reaction would be along the lines of "How could you stand hearing that voice first thing in the morning?"
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat May 13, 2006 8:55 am GMT
Quite honestly most British people are simply not fazed by American accents at all, and do not hold any strong opinions one way or another because of familiarity. An American accent is just one of a whole caboodle of accents we hear every day as the UK becomes even more multicultural. Surely know that the Brits do not sound off all that much on any issue in quite the same way as your compatriots do (well, perhaps more so today as it's Cup Final day but that's a different matter altogether! When it comes to sport then aye, the Brits do get vocal....very vocal). LOL

We are so used to hearing American accents increasingly so now at this time of the year as the Summer season approaches. Of course, London is a mega tourist magnet...it's probably on every American tourist's schedule (btw that's pronounced "shed-yool" here :-) )....and it seems that Statford-upon-Avon comes second and certainly here in Edinburgh we are "awash" with you guys. Edinburgh and Scotland are also high on their lists of UK places to visit. In fact, you people seem to find your way to every nook and cranny in these islands so practically everyone in the UK is so used to American accents that the majority of Brits just don't think anything of it at all. The accent just registers in the mind as a matter of course and that's it, more or less. No big deal at all.

It's good to know that you are, as you say, softly spoken. That is not the image we have of the average American tourist here, to be perfectly honest with you. If the American accent grates on the nerves of the average Brit it's not because of the accent itself, but the volume in which it's delivered. A widely held opinion here is that you hear an American tourist long before you see him or her.....both genders seem to be equally high decibel. Also, they seem to sound off about anything and everything not being quite like it is back in Backwoods, Minnesota, or wherever......that tends to piss of our guys and girls who have to deal with them as hosts.

Might as well give it to you straight before you come here. We now put that down to the fact that the majority of Americans are not used to travelling beyond their national borders, a fair number don't even stray out of their own home States, so anything unfamiliar to them seems alien, and Americans being Americans, they aren't backward in coming forward to tell you. This is a crowded island, space is at a premium, many things are not king sized for that reason...including fridges!...but you can get mixer taps (sorry, faucets) here!

Yes, you do have to be prepared for anti Americanism.....it's a fact of life, and the reasons are probably varied. Politics plays a major part their, and "arrogant and superior attitudes". It's fair to tell you that, but like the accent acceptance, most Brits do not have very strong feelings one way or another, but if you stay here long enough you will encounter some nastiness simply because you're an American. But bear in mind that the Brits themselves are far from being universally popular either....especially when Club 18-30 let rip in the sunspots of Europe.

As for London as a city.....it's a fantastic place for fun, as well as all the rest of the cultural, historical, and generally great things to do and see in a multinational metropolis. There is always something going on there, whatever you're looking for or enjoy doing.

As Dr Samuel Johnson said in the 18th century: "A man (or woman - he was being unwittingly sexist) who is tired of London is tired of life".
Candy   Sat May 13, 2006 9:45 am GMT
<<On the contrary, the usual reaction would be along the lines of "How could you stand hearing that voice first thing in the morning?" >>

Lily, take no notice of anything posted by a person who doesn't even have the decency to type in a username. And take no notice of such stupid comments, anyway.
Jim C, York   Sat May 13, 2006 4:40 pm GMT
Damian, is pretty much right, but I'm not a fan of London, the tourist bits are great though, its the moody business people I don't like.

Soft American accents are popular, try and give it a 1950's/60's film starlet effect...or is that just something I like?

I think Scotland’s entire economy is built on ripping of Americans searching for their family history, "heritage industry” I think its called. BBC 4 had s programme called “Family Ties” the other night, very funny.

Oh, and look out for idiots like myself, who enjoy nothing more than ribbing Americans (in a friendly way), one of my friends invited an American lass to York, in the end she was saying stuff like "I HAVE NEVER USED THE WORD QUAINT!", all leg pulling ;)
Uriel   Sun May 14, 2006 1:01 am GMT
Hey, lily:

1. I can't tell the difference between most American accents from the Mississippi on west;

2. I'm very soft spoken;

3. I've been to London, and had a damn good time! Don't sweat the accent and nobody else will, either.

4. In the morning, everyone has the same accent -- grumbling into the pillow about that damn alarm clock.
lily   Sun May 14, 2006 1:25 am GMT
Thanks to everyone for such great responses! They were super helpful and informative.

I am looking forward to living in London and experiencing a new culture, etc, and this has put my mind at ease about having an American accent.
Aagh   Sun May 14, 2006 7:59 am GMT
>>.but you can get mixer taps (sorry, faucets) here!<<

Oh dear. Now you have to apologise for using that abomination "fau***".