Spanish is the most beautiful of all languages

LAA   Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:19 pm GMT
Aldvm,

<<Romans and other conquerors imposed their language to their colonies by force otherwise the languages from where is now Spain would have remain almost intact, or at least would have evolved by themselves, just like Basque survived.>>

Latin was not imposed by force. It was just more advantageous for the people of the provinces to learn Latin, as it was the language of the conquerors, of government, of administration, of trade with the metropolis of the empire. Not to mention that the thousands of colonists and occupying forces spoke it, which means that a large segment of the population, and the ones with power, also spoke Latin. If you wanted to communicate with them, or even understand them, you had best learn Latin. It was also a language which unified people from all over Gaul and Spain, who spoke many different tribal languages. Latin was not forcibly imposed on the people. They chose to learn it because it was to their benefit.
Aldvm   Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:37 pm GMT
LAA I meant 'force' not in the sense of "you have to speak my language now on". If somebody invades your territory and controls your whole existence you don't have many choices, or you accept it or you die. In any case you are not free to do what you want, you are forced then to survive.
LAA   Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:54 pm GMT
Well, I still don't think they were "forced" to speak Latin. It just seems that if they were going to get by, in business or other aspects of life, they needed to learn Latin. The administrators and educators, and colonists spoke Latin. People learned Latin so they could communicate with these people. Knowing Latin was the key to upward social mobility. But it doesn't mean it was forced on them. I see what you are saying, but I don't think that is such a good word, because it is not as if they weren't allowed to speak their native languages.
JR   Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:04 pm GMT
Something for the kids to grasp and to know

-->>>

Merendar- (transitive verb lunch on; intransitive verb have lunch; picnic en el campo.)

Almorzar- (transitive verb have for lunch, lunch on; intransitive verb (have) lunch.)

&

Almuerzo (lunch) {{hence, -masculine- lunch; luncheon.}}

Comida (lunch) {{hence, -feminine (alimento) food; (acto) eating; (a hora determinada) meal; *especially* lunch, dinner; (manutenciĆ³n) keep, board }}