Give examples of words that English is missing

Sander   Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:31 pm GMT
Vera,

In Greek;

Almighty= pantodynamos / (παντοδύναμος)
God = theos / (θεός)
Lord = kyrios, afentis, archontas / (κύριος, αφέντης, άρχοντας)
Sanja   Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:24 pm GMT
Vera, the God's name in Serbo-Croatian (when it comes to Christian religions) is Isus. In Croatian (Catholic) version the full name is Isus Krist, and in Serbian (Orthodox) version it is Isus Hristos. When it comes to Muslim religion (Islam), the name of God is Allah.
Sanja   Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:30 pm GMT
About that dubbing vs. subtitles discussion, I have to say I agree with Candy. As I said before, we use only subtitles here in Bosnia (and as far as I know, it is the same in the whole ex-Yugoslavia - at least it was like that when Yugoslavia was still one country), and I definitely prefer subtitles. I'm not used to dubbing and I would hate watching a dubbed movie, because I wouldn't be able to hear the original voices and original language. It sounds really strange and even funny to hear American (or some other) actors speak my language... LOL :) As I said before, I remember when I was in Turkey and it was hilarous to hear Brandon from "Beverly Hills" speak Turkish.
Adam   Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:12 pm GMT
Someone who is braindead and stupid is "gormless."

So why isn't it that someone who ISN'T braindead and stupid "gorm."

There are "ruthless" people - but why aren't there "ruth" people, who are the opposite of "ruthless" people?
Candy   Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:03 pm GMT
Sanja,
it was hilarous to hear Brandon from "Beverly Hills" speak Turkish. >>
LOL!!

Adam,
And how come you can be uncouth, but not couth? Inane but not ane? Inept but not ept? Disgruntled but not gruntled??
BTW, the word 'ruth' used to exist in English, as a synonym for 'pity', I believe. You can find it in Milton's 'Paradise Lost'.
I also remember once reading a 15th-century poem and seeing the word 'makulait' and being totally confused - until I realised it was the opposite of 'immaculate'!!
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:20 pm GMT
Wistful but not wistless - after all you have restful and restless.

"Wist" is apparently an archaic word - the past tense and past participle of "wit".

Opp. of "immaculate" is spelt "maculate" but nobody uses it now as it's archaic and/or literary as you discovered. Imagine spilling blackcurrant juice onto a fresh new tablecloth and saying: "Oh s**t......I've maculated Mum's new tablecloth".
Vera   Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:24 pm GMT
Thank you, Sander and Sanja. I was wrong about the Greek origin of the name Savaof. Have just found on some Russian religious site that it comes from Hebrew "tsavo" for "army" or "forces".
Candy   Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:42 pm GMT
Opp. of "immaculate" is spelt "maculate" >>

It might be now, but in a 15th-century poem it was spelt 'makulait'. And I've certainly never heard it in modern English.

Another interesting thing from the Middle Ages: (getting more and more off-topic!) I was puzzled by the word 'undep' in a 12th-century chronicle to describe a dungeon (I think). Of course, it means 'undeep'!
Sanja   Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:43 pm GMT
You're welcome, Vera.

Just noticed the typo I made above. I meant "hilarious", not "hilarous". LOL :)
Sander   Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:50 pm GMT
Candy, If always been fascinated by middle and old English , it's so much more Germanic.

Isn't it amazing that a Dutchman , with a bit of training, can read basic Anglosaxon?! :)
Sander   Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:59 pm GMT
Im exaggerating, make that 'with training'. :)
Sanja   Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:02 pm GMT
You can read any language with training. LOL :)
Sander   Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:06 pm GMT
Lol,yeah but there arrent that many OE teachers ;)

With my knowledge of English and more or less my study, it's 'easy' to recognise words.

Eg,

Compare:
-OE-
'Ic hette ... '

and:
-Modern Dutch (!)-
'Ik heet ...'

and:
-Modern English-
'My name is ... '

(Modern English lost the verb in question)
Sanja   Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:08 pm GMT
True, they look alike.
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:41 pm GMT
Hi Sander
I studied Old and Middle English at university (among lots of other subjects of course!) but I mainly concentrated on literature, not language. I was surprised at the grammar of Old English - 3 genders, 4 cases, so Germanic!!
I have to say I really preferred Middle English - in fact I have an MA in Middle English Literature ;)