Give examples of words that English is missing

Sander   Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:50 pm GMT
Personally,I don't like the way English went.I mean only the basics are still germanic...I think that's just a shame ;(
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:53 pm GMT
Yeah...blame those Normans...;(
Sander   Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:56 pm GMT
It looks more like a romance language than a Germanic one ...That's why I don't get the French and the Spanish 'problems with English influence' I mean they only get back what they gave.... :)
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:41 pm GMT
Sander, couldn't agree more! I'm always amazed when I look at a text in, say, Spanish or Italian and can understand quite a lot of it. How does English sound to you - like a Romance language? Or not like anything else?
Sander   Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:42 pm GMT
English sounds like a Romance language ,well more of a romance language than a Germanic one.
Sander   Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:48 pm GMT
But realy, English grammer is a laugh compared to other languages ;) (!no offence!)

I mean no gramatical gender,plural is adding an 's' (except with archaic/strange words like 'oxen') and no special features ;)
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:58 pm GMT
OK, I keep flicking over between here and my Word document - Sander, stop posting!! You're ruining my concentration!! ;)

(!no offence!) >> None taken! I know basic English grammar is dead simple. But seriously, what do you think of all the English tenses? These are definitely the biggest problem my students have with English - the difference between 'I have lived' and 'I have been living', 'I am going to fly to London next month' and 'I am flying to London next month' for example. Even Germans at a very advanced level can't use all the tenses that I can, at least not when speaking.
Sander   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:03 pm GMT
Tenses are difficult, but a peace of cake when you finally get it.

My biggest problem was the English word order which is very different from Dutch. (SOVv2 and English is SVO) ;)
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:04 pm GMT
piece of cake, not peace!
Sander   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:07 pm GMT
All my typo's seem to undermine my statements ;)
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:08 pm GMT
True, it kind of undermines your assertion that English is easy!!
Sander   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:10 pm GMT
I'm afraid I don't have the habit of checking my posts before sending them ...
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:12 pm GMT
I always do, but then I'm paranoid about making spelling mistakes - both my parents were English teachers too...spelling was VERY IMPORTANT in our household!
Sander   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:18 pm GMT
I trust more on my ability of speaking English than writing it ;) (not much more though)
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:21 pm GMT
Same with me in German. I don't write it very well at all.
I feel that most of my job is giving my students the confidence to speak in English. Most of them are terrified to open their mouths when they first come to me (usually they haven't learnt any English for many years)