Spanish should be the second official language of USA

Uriel   Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:33 am GMT
<<Uriel, your're wrong. How can 'Hispanics' be proud of a country that excludes them socially, economically, politically and any and every other way possible? >>

No, I'm not. Go meet some sometime. Ground truth always trumps armchair philosophy.

<<And you are living in occupied Mexico if you reside in California, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Kansas, or Texas. FACE IT! All the gringos gotta learn Spanish pronto because we's a gonna be mejicanos.... AGAIN mo' fo's!!! >>

Mexico owned the southwest for 30 years ... the US has owned it for 160 years. Time to get over it. And if you talk to hispanic Americans living in those areas, they certainly have no desire to see it change hands today. Nor is Spanish "taking over" in those areas -- it simply exists side-by-side with English. There's no real competition: the vast majority of American citizens -- no matter what their ethnic background -- are perfectly fluent in English.
casanova   Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:59 pm GMT
who cares the us and canada belong to the natives who lived there for years
tiqui`ia   Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:13 pm GMT
puerto rico will never speak english, for one reason, they are an island.
barbacoa   Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:23 pm GMT
WHAT IS THE FIGHT ABOUT REGIONS AND LANGUAGE
THINK IF AN ASTEROID COMES, THE PLANET WILL BE GONE. THINK ABOUT WHAT COULD HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE. LETS CARE ABOUT SPACE EXPLORATION, BECAUSE THATS THE SOLUTION TO ALL PROBLEMS, YOU KNOW EVERY CULTURE OWNING A PLANET NO MORE FIGHTS, THERE ARE PLANETS IN ABUNDANCE OUT THERE.
I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY BUILDING CITIES.
mauricio solis   Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:26 pm GMT
vosotros teneis la rason completamente, los humanos creen que viviran aqui para siempre. esta tan dividido este mundo. ademas la poplacion crece
lettwea   Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:36 pm GMT
yeah i guess languages and cultures are not 100% secure. especially when nuclear weapons exist.
my favorite family languges are

romanance
germanic
and
slavic (russia)

wether spanish should be the second official language, will not make deifference is just writen it down on paper. spanish is already the second most spoken language in the us.
if they want to write it down would be nice, but its not a need. thats only for cultures who are in danger and minority.
a great example is canada, is very multicultural is the best country to live and there are many official languages, but constitutionaly french is the second language in canada.
i hear that the american national anthem is now in spanish.
i think in the future americans will not avoid immigration because its too late take a look a mexico city, largest city on earth, high polution how how enlglish be infuence there

i think the mexicans have done a good job spreading around there culture
wright   Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:37 pm GMT
I HATE LANGUAGES
BUT I LIKE ROMANCE LANGUAGES YOU CAN GETT CHICKS MUCH EASIER
Deborah   Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:40 pm GMT
« And you better believe that US hispanics are some of the most patriotic Americans you'll ever meet, too -- it's kind of a weird phenomenon. »

I can vouch for the fact that an ex-boyfriend (born in Mexico) was like that. It was a point of contention between us, in fact. He thought the US was the greatest country in the world and that you should never criticize it.
Sigma   Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:45 pm GMT
Voice greg un lien (en Français bien entendu)

Les Hispaniques, principaux migrants légaux et illégaux aux Etats-Unis

http://www.lemonde.fr/web/infog/0,47-0@2-3222,54-755974@51-754743,0.html

Mexico owned the southwest for 30 years ... the US has owned it for 160 years. Time to get over it.******

Los Árabes (moros) dominaron España por 700 años, y sin embargo los Españoles recuperaron sus territorios y hoy en dia España no es un pais Árabe. ¿Entonces los moros tienian mas derecho que los Españoles sobre la peninsula Ibérica en aquel entonces debido al gran número de años que estuvo en poder de los Árabes?

Mais les francophones sont partout chez eux au "Canada" (au sens actuel de ce terme) : Fransaskois, Franco-ontariens, Franco-yukonnais, Franco-manitobains******

Oui je suis tout à fait d'accord. Les francophones sont partout chez eux au "Canada".
Sigma   Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:48 pm GMT
* Voici

Désolé pour les fautes de frappe. C'est horrible

* Tenían
J   Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:25 pm GMT
Mi castellano es terrible, por que las escuelas de EEUU no querian ensenarme como hablar y dominar este idioma importante. Sigma, sabes mucho. El suroeste de eeuu es territorio mejicano ocupado, y siempre va a hacer así hasta que el diá llegue que los eeuu se caija, como la unión sovietica.

los 'hispanos' de los eeuu, legales o no, tienen todos los derechos de vivir felizmente en cualquier parte de eeuu. Es muy triste que los 'hispanos' viven bajo un país tan racista y torpe, que ni siquiera quiere declarar el castellano como segundo idioma oficial del país.

Uriel es de descendencia portuguesa, ella ni pertenence en 'nuevo mejíco' Ella no puede comprender que ella misma es la extranjera en esta tierra, no un juajiro de oaxaca o cancún.

es muy triste, la situacíon hoy en día. pero en el 2008 las cosas se van a cambiar.
J   Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:30 pm GMT
@ Deborah
"I can vouch for the fact that an ex-boyfriend (born in Mexico) was like that. It was a point of contention between us, in fact. He thought the US was the greatest country in the world and that you should never criticize it."

So you had a brainwashed bf hooked on the yankee hype. Sort of like an Alberto Gonzalez type, right? How can some sick fuck like him become attorney general. He has token minority written all over his brown, indian self. At least condi has cunning and balls not to fall under that tm crap.

The sw is such a f*cked up place, sort of like occupied palestine today. Their will always be 'tension' and 'bad community relations'. The US committed a crime by stealing these lands from mexico, and the mexicans will -never- forget that half their country was stolen from them.

@Uriel

For 30 years it was part of Mexico but for 4 centuries it was part of Spain. Same language... same culture, up that that point...
Sigma   Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:33 pm GMT
J tu castellano es totalmente comprensible. No te preocupes.
Uriel   Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:19 pm GMT
<<For 30 years it was part of Mexico but for 4 centuries it was part of Spain. Same language... same culture, up that that point... >>

Funny that you should bring that up -- Northern New Mexicans (who are primarily of Spanish descent) are always turning their noses up at anything Mexican. Call New Mexico "former Mexican territory" and they will get all huffy -- "WE were never Mexicans. We're SPANISH, and our families were here for 400 years -- this was New SPAIN, not Mexico."

I used to think this was hysterically funny -- I guess everyone needs someone else to look down on!

<<Uriel es de descendencia portuguesa, ella ni pertenence en 'nuevo mejíco' Ella no puede comprender que ella misma es la extranjera en esta tierra, no un juajiro de oaxaca o cancún.>>

Well, as the old saying goes: I don't see you wearin' no Indian blanket.... By your logic, ALL people of non-indigenous descent would be strangers in this land.

<<Los Árabes (moros) dominaron España por 700 años, y sin embargo los Españoles recuperaron sus territorios y hoy en dia España no es un pais Árabe. ¿Entonces los moros tienian mas derecho que los Españoles sobre la peninsula Ibérica en aquel entonces debido al gran número de años que estuvo en poder de los Árabes? >>

The Spanish owned it before and after. Which comes out to way more than 700 years. (The cave paintings at Altamira date back over 15,000 years....) And who owns Spain now? You don't see them living in the past.

And I believe there is a certain explosive-happy Saudi Arabian boy's club -- hmmm, Al Q-something -- that has expressed an interest in taking back their lost "Al-Andalus" based on historical ownership -- perhaps you could identify with their logic, Sigma? "Well, we USED to own it, so we're entitled to it back"?
Johnathan Mark   Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:15 pm GMT
I am Scandanavian, German, Czech, English, Scottish, Irish, and Cherokee Indian. Therefore, I should own land throughout Northern Europe and the British Isles (as I am part Celtic), as well as in the Steppes of Central Asia, where the Germannic tribes originated, and in the Appalachains as well as Oklahoma from my Cherokee heritage--I guess Northeastern Asia, too, since that is where the North American Indians migrated from. Oh, and I want part of East Africa, too, that is where my most distant ancestors hail from (or so Anthropologists tell me).

Past ownership or dwelling by members of the same ethnic group is an entirely useless way to determine what is just.