The relationships between the neo-Latin languages

Guest   Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:51 am GMT
Romanians are Slavs with a Romance language.
Georgero   Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:56 am GMT
Some of them have Slavic origin, but Romanians cannot be named Slavs because they are a huge mixture of population. It is not the origin that put Romanians together as a nation, but the language.
They can not be all Slavs, simply because the language existed before the Slavs came into the area. So, that statement is definitely wrong.
MEOX   Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:04 pm GMT
Romanian sounds like Latin, Russian & French mixed up. 7-10 (Latin)
and 2-10 (russian) & 1-10 (French), in phonology.
Marius   Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:08 pm GMT
I agree, (with you MEOX)

http://scic.cec.eu.int/main/enlargement/lan_pres/rom_01.htm

listen to the phrases.
LAA   Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:00 pm GMT
Romanian does sound very removed from the other Latin languages spoken in Western Europe, because of centuries of geographical alienation from the other Romance countries. There is a lot of Slavic influence from repeated Slavic conquests, and peripheal influence from neighboring peoples. Yet sometimes, in isolated instances, Romanian sounds remarkably close to Italian.

And I am positive that the closest neighbor to Romanian is Italian.
Guest   Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:13 pm GMT
""" They can not be all Slavs, simply because the language existed before the Slavs came into the area. So, that statement is definitely wrong. """

No Romanians are SLAVs and GYPSIES (ROMA = HENCE THE NAMES)
Guest   Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:30 pm GMT
Romania is a reference to Rome, not Romas (gypsies).
Xatufan   Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:01 pm GMT
When "Dragostea Din Tei" became famous here in Ecuador, I first thought it was French (mainly because it starts with "Alo, salut").

There's a phrase in the song "Alo, alo, sunt eu Picasso", which sounds very similar to Spanish "Aló, aló, siento una picazón".
Romanian   Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:11 pm GMT
Guest, dacă ne băgăm un pic pula-n mă-ta, îi mai faci ţigani pe români? O storci în cur aiurea, băga-ţi-ai pula-n mă-ta şi-n morţii tăi!
LAA   Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:34 pm GMT
Yes, as far as I know, it is not a reference to the Roma, but to the Romans, as the neighboring peoples, who were mainly Slavs, called the Latin speaking people of the region "Romans".
Alexandru   Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:59 am GMT
Ai dreptate,mai trebuie bagata pula-n astia din cand in cand,ca unii cam jignesc romaniii.
Eu mi-am bagat pula-n cativa si le-am zis ca daca i-as sti le-as lua capu' si l-as pune la expozitie da' mi-au sters comentariile ca erau in engleza....
fab   Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:26 pm GMT
" And I am positive that the closest neighbor to Romanian is Italian. "

It is funny because it is the opinion of most romance speaker that their language has italian as closest neighbour among main latin languages.
It is not surprising, Italy been the origin of latin (and also vulgar latin) - that each former part of the roman empire deveopped its own form from Italic vulgar latin.
So french people will say that Italian is much closer to french than any other romance speakes. And Spanish or romanians will think also that spanish or romanian is closer to Italian than to any other language.
LAA   Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:59 pm GMT
Well I don't speak Romanian, but I find it to be rather distant as far as Romance tounges go. But it's closest neighbor is definitely Italian. In other words, it doesn't mean that it's the closest language to Italian. It just means that Romanian's nearest neighbor is Italian.
Lefebvre de Saboya (o via   Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:26 pm GMT
THe closest language to latin is Corsican.
Aldvs   Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:34 pm GMT
The closest language to Latin is "interlingua", haha