The relationships between the neo-Latin languages

Guest   Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:16 am GMT
Well I'm not arguing with you OldAvatar I'm just presenting my views on this thread's topic.

Don't get mad. This is just a forum. Don't take the message that is posted here that don't coincide or opposed to yours personally.

About the your question "What exactly do you want from me?". Hmmm this is quite ambiguous. I don't want anything from you. Please be careful with questions like this because other browsers might have a different interpretation about this.

I don't know you and I don't even know if you belong to the opposite gender. So if my interpretation on this correct, don't think any other things beyond this topic just because I keep on questioning what you postedd. On the other hand, disregard my conclusion about your last question if I'm badly mistaken.

Have a nice time!
Ikariotika   Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:24 pm GMT
I am curious about the relationship between French and Rumanian. I know there are some words that are similar - but are there any words from the Rumanian language that entered into the French language? Thanks
OldAvatar   Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:54 am GMT
@Guest

I didn't get mad. Sorry if it looked that way and sorry about misunderstanding. It's just it was a bit unpleasant for me to keep answering questions just because the link wasn't quite clear in some aspects. That's all...

As I said, the idea was that French used to have a great tradition in Romania and French language was the one used to inspire Romanian scholars in their effort to get the language back to its Latin roots. So, the respect to French language is huge. But, nowadays, French is more popular to old people in Romania. Younger people tend to learn and use English instead of French. English is getting into the official Romanina language too, much faster than French does.

For example, most of Romanians don't say "Sfârşit de săptămână plăcut - Have a nice weekend". Instead, it is frequently used "Weekend plăcut". It is shorter and much easier to say. Another example, Romanian language has 3 official terms for "computer (calculator, computer, ordinator)". As you see, "ordinator" is a French loanword, but nobody use it. "Computer" is the most used term.

Best regards
Francophillipe   Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:20 am GMT
OldAvatar,

If Romanians are going to give up their language and adopt a new one, that could only be French not English or anything else. They haven't forgotten that France was responsible for the existence of their countries.

Bulgaria is considered a Francophone Slavic country. If they too would adopt a new language in place of Bulgarian,the most likely contender is Russian then French.

Similar situation in Greece where French used to be the only foreign language spoken but now English too but French is still retained there with equal footing with English as in Egypt since they too gained their nationhood with France's help. Although it is very unlikely that Greeks will give up their beautiful language for French as we all know the status of classical Greek.

Sorry if the truth's hurt.

By the way what took you so long to reply? Did it take you a long time and hard time to gather information?
Madina   Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:40 am GMT
For other romance language speakers, listen to a Romanian radio online and tell us what it sounds like or whether you can understand what is being said.

http://www.rri.ro/rams/audio2.ram
OldAvatar   Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:43 pm GMT
@Francophillipe

Truth doesn't hurt anyone. At least, not in this matter. And I really appreciate your sarcasm regarding my reply. But there is no need to get that offensive, I can tell you that. As I said, I completely agree with you when you're speaking about French influence over Romanians. The respect of Romanians towards French people, as a nation, is still huge. And nobody denies that. It is just that French language is not used in Romania on such a huge scale, as it was a century ago, for example.

Best regards
Francophilippe   Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:57 am GMT
The Romanians can tell. Maybe they needed English for singing internationally because of wider market. The relationship between the French and Romanians is almost equal to that of the French and Walloons. The're like siblings. Their common link is Latin and they don't feel any kinship with Anglo-Saxon World. Beside they are a member of Francophonie not of Commonwealth.

I'm just wonderin' if you mean that the French is already unknown in Romania. Not every nations are going to the English direction as in the case of Scandinavia.

Sorry for my remark if it sounds sarcasm!
Francophiliipe   Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:18 am GMT
"For other romance language speakers, listen to a Romanian radio online and tell us what it sounds like or whether you can understand what is being said."

Sounds very Latin to me Madina. Besides it's grammatical structure is the closest to Latin than any other Romance langauges to Latin.

Aside from Romania it is also spoken in Moldova. Romanian speaking people are remarkable that despite that they are sorrounded by people speaking unrelated languages, they were able to cling on to their linguistic and cultural heritage.
OldAvatar   Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:12 am GMT
@Francophiliipe

Romanian is, also, one of the official languages of Vojvodina region, in Serbia.
Francophilippe   Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:06 am GMT
I thought Hungarian because it's adjacent to Hungary.

You know Romanian is a charming language to me. It's so unique and and it has its own beauty.
OldAvatar   Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:56 am GMT
Hungarian is official too, if I'm not mistaken...
Guest   Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:22 pm GMT
Brazilian Portuguese has many Italian assimilations
due the Italian immigration. Brazil has 25 million Italian descendants.
The remaining Italian influence is noticeable to the naked eye:

* The use of ciao ("tchau" in Portuguese) as a 'goodbye' salutation (all of Brazil),
* The adoption of the pizza and pasta in the national cuisine (initially in the South and Southeast, now in all of Brazil),
* Wine production (in the South),
* A bunch of loan words (italianisms), such as ravióli, espaguete, macarrão, nhoque, pizza, lasanha, panetone, esquifoso, feltro, pivete, bisonho, cicerone, and many others.
* The softening of the Brazilian pronunciation (mostly Minas Gerais, São Paulo, Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul)
* The early introduction of more advanced low-scale farming techniques (Minas Gerais, São Paulo and the South).
Guest   Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:09 pm GMT
Spanish, Portuguese & Italian are the SAME Language, only a slightly bit of differences from spelling grammar & pronounciation, but they are the same: the people, their cultures, traditions, religions, heritages, etc. As for the French, Romanian, Catalonian, those are quite different when compared to ESP, POR & ITA, PERIOD!

Check out the most near asylum, you NEED IT. PERIOD
Guest   Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:50 pm GMT
"Brazilian Portuguese has many Italian assimilations"

The Romans! Blame the Romans. If it was not for the Romans Brazilians would be speaking Celtic.

These are the most interesting examples:
ravióli, espaguete, macarrão, nhoque, pizza, lasanha, panetone.

Let us see how they are translated to English or French...
Heavens, this is creepy! I never realized it is an Italian food invasion.... Help.
Interested   Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:10 am GMT
Interesting conversation I stumbled onto while looking up info on Fado songs! I heard Mariza speaking and have heard Portuguese people speaking. It definitely does not sound anything like German or Russian, but then, I know some German and Russian. It does sort of sound like French. Sort of.

I've heard people that recently came here from Romania (Rumania) speaking - and I understood some of it from, as a kid, knowing some Russian. I understood it enough to get the gist of what they were saying. The person with me, who spoke Italian, Spanish and English (Spanish being her first language), didn't understand a single word, not even when the Romanians mentioned the names of countries (they were talking politics). Talking politics is not simple sentences, like "where are you from."

I would imagine that from 1700 to now, the differences might be very great. I would also imagine that a LOT of Slavic words are now in the Romanian language - they would have had to be, for me to understand them enough to get the gist of what they were talking about.