The relationships between the neo-Latin languages

Lisbon   Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:02 am GMT
As a Portuguese, I must say that Portuguese and Spanish languages are almost identical when written, but quite different when spoken. Actually, Portuguese and Spanish people have some difficulty to understand eachother, and the prove is that we don't watch eachother's TV our listen to eachother's music, and that there's not a significant amount of Portuguese people living in Spain or vice-versa. We're like neighbours that evitate eachother, but we don't have a feud or anything.

Having said that, of course I would survive in Spain and in Italy if I only spoke Portuguese. But not in France or Romania, although I understand what some Romanians say, like their President (there must be some regional variations).

Brazil: Beware, Brazillian Portuguese sounds VERY DIFERENT from European Portuguese, majorly due to African, Spanish and Italian influence.

Italian influence in Brazil: Mostly true, but not in the wine industry. Portuguese introduced wine culture in there. Lets not forget Portugal is also a major wine produce. And food? Please, almost all countries in the world eat Italian. In Portugal there's also those words "esparguete, lasanha", etc.
Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:27 am GMT
When I hear Portuguese from Brazil it sounds like some African dialects.
K. T.   Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:34 am GMT
evitate=avoid

I honestly did not know that this was a word in English until I looked it up. Of course, this is close to French and the word in Portuguese, so it was easy to understand. Then we have inevitable, so...

I really wonder how different Portuguese sounds in Portugal. I don't have a lot of trouble understanding Brazilian Portuguese and I've only studied it a little.

I'm sure that a Portuguese speaker would have trouble in France.
Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:45 am GMT
<<evitate=avoid

I honestly did not know that this was a word in English until I looked it up. Of course, this is close to French and the word in Portuguese, so it was easy to understand. Then we have inevitable, so... >>

"Evitate" may exist, but apparently it's pretty uncommon. One old printed dictionary doesn't have it at all, and another flags it as "Shakespearean". They do have evade, evite, evitable, etc.