The closest language to English

LAA   Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:06 am GMT
In other words, what you are trying to say Joey, is that Old English, or Anglo-Saxon was a much more "pure" Germanic language, and much closer to continental Germanic languages than it is since having undergone significant French-Latin influence.

Sander,

What's so hard to understand? You're making a mountain out of a mole hill here. It's not rocket science. ENGLISH IS A GERMANIC LANGUAGE!!! But it is a very distant, and heavily Latinized Germanic language, and much less similar to other Germanic languages than they are to each other in many respects. And in many ways, it is very similar to French in terms of vocabulary. Why do you insist on denying that fact? Do you have a hatred for the French or something? Do you hate Latin languages, and wish to pretend that our beloved English does not have Latin influences?
Uriel   Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:51 am GMT
Well, sometimes language relationships get pretty complicated, and when your language is as much of a pack-rat as English is (or kleptomaniac?), lines get blurred.
Sander   Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:16 am GMT
>> What's so hard to understand? You're making a mountain out of a mole hill here. It's not rocket science. ENGLISH IS A GERMANIC LANGUAGE!!! But it is a very distant, and heavily Latinized Germanic language, and much less similar to other Germanic languages than they are to each other in many respects. And in many ways, it is very similar to French in terms of vocabulary. Why do you insist on denying that fact? Do you have a hatred for the French or something? Do you hate Latin languages, and wish to pretend that our beloved English does not have Latin influences? <<

What are you trying to say there kid?! Are you accusing me of something? I didn't study Germanic languages only to be said I'm wrong ,while every linguist would say the same, by some conceited little hotel servant on a crappy Polish forum!
Joey   Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:57 pm GMT
A language has to be classified as something and normally the easiest choice is taken. In English, that it is a Germanic language end of story, but it isn't the end of the story.
Modern English at this point in time is just as much a part of the the Germanic language group as it is of the Romance group.
Even though I do think that it shouldn't just be classified as just being part of the one group but rather both.
A mid way language.
LAA   Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:50 pm GMT
<<What are you trying to say there kid?! Are you accusing me of something? I didn't study Germanic languages only to be said I'm wrong ,while every linguist would say the same, by some conceited little hotel servant on a crappy Polish forum! >>

Boy, someone needs to take his pills. Is this little kid making you lose your temper, you poor little thing.... ? You think that a university education entitles you to never be wrong??? That must be the most arrogant thing I have heard in ages. It sounds like you have some serious insecurity issues. Were you the fat kid in school or something? Did mommy yell at you? Do you overcompensate by driving a nice luxury sedan that shouts out to the world, "Hey! I have a college education! Look at me!"? And if you don't like this "crappy Polish forum", then leave. No one is keeping you here. If it's so bad, you're more than welcome to leave. But wait, I almost forgot. That would be one less audiance to gloat before, and ostentatiously display your divinely inspired knowledge of linguistics! Can't have that, can we omniscient one?

And I sincerely doubt, that the majority of linguists would disagree with my statement which says, "English is a Germanic language, with heavy French (Latin) influence in its vocabulary."

But since, you went to college like a big boy, and studied Germanic languages, your degree certificate entrusts you with the privilege of never being wrong. So, you must be right.
Sander   Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:00 pm GMT
(Ignoring the load of adolecent crap)

>>And I sincerely doubt, that the majority of linguists would disagree with my statement which says, "English is a Germanic language, with heavy French (Latin) influence in its vocabulary." <<

Your statement; that English is somehow more related to French because of loans, and that is somehow more distant to the other Germanic languages is crap. Tell me, do you speak another Germanic language? No, so how can you compare? Linguistics dictates that English is just about as much related to Greek as it is to French. Loans simply do not matter. If a 14 year old boy with a 140 IQ , ghum, can't accept that ... well that's not my problem.

>> But since, you went to college like a big boy, and studied Germanic languages, your degree certificate entrusts you with the privilege of never being wrong. So, you must be right. <<

Jouw moeder had je moeten slaan tot je billen rood zagen onbeleefde etter.
Joey   Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:06 pm GMT
(Tell me, do you speak another Germanic language?)

Yes I do

Ek ken goed you egta broeder taal. En as dit vir mei waas ek is te groot om n' pak slaan te kry.

And that's not all a Romance one to, wow look at me lol

Eu acho que não vai ser facial prosaber isto.

and still think that English does fall in between a Germanic and a Romance language.
Sander   Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:33 pm GMT
Jou Afrikaans is redelyk goed, maar ek vermoet dit is nie jou moedertaal nie?

And no, that was not directed at you, as you probably are too old.He isn't though.
LAA - Juaquin en la caja!   Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:39 pm GMT
Did I say it was closer to French? No. I specifically said it was a Germanic language, within the Germanic branch of Indo-European languages. But, it has been significantly influenced by French. So much so, that nearly a majority of its vocabulary is of French-Latinate origin! Any fool can see that. Why can't you?

Stop viewing this as a linguist, with rigid catergories which don't allow for fluidity. From a practical standpoint, you must realize that English is closer to French than it is to Slavic languages or Hellenic languages. 60% of English vocabulary consists of direct loans from French. The vocabluary between English and French is much more similar, than that between English and Greek! You're a moron if you think otherwise.
Joey   Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:58 pm GMT
No it isn't but I don't mean to press your buttens but that what you wrote isn't in the right order.

(Jou Afrikaans is redelyk goed, maar ek vermoet dit is nie jou moedertaal nie?)

Jou Afrikaans is redelyk goed , maar ek vermoed dat dit nie jou moedertaal is nie?
Sorry about that.
LAA - Juaquin en la caja!   Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:59 pm GMT
But you can't just consider the "native Germanic words". That would mean excluding as much as 60% of modern English vocabulary.

The Anglo-Saxons were isolated from the main body of Germanic speaking peoples on the continent. This allowed for a unique, independent evolution which the other languages, not isolated as English was, did not develop. Then, you have a large lexical influence from Old Danish, due to the Norse influence from Danelaw. Then, you have the Norman conquest, and the introduction of French, which became the primary language of the ruling class, nobility, and learned men. Basically anyone who was literate spoke Norman-French as his primary language, and thus, the majority of literary vocabulary became French. After speaking French fell out of favor after three centuries or so among the nobility and scholars, the thousands of French loan words remained part of English vocabulary, because these words were so commonplace. Hence the reason why Middle English was so drastically different from Old English. And in the time period between Middle and modern English, numerous more words of Latin origin infiltrated the English language, as they did in nearly all other Germanic languages. Because of these Old French loans, and loans borrowed directly from Latin, modern English vocabulary, in total, is actually comprised of more Latin-based words than Germanic. At the basic level, English vocabulary is almost entirely Germanic in origin. But this doesn't change the fact that English has evolved in an entirely seperate direction from other Germanic languages on the continent. That is why English seems so distant from its sister languages. But for thick-headed Sander, I will spell it out for him one more time. ENGLISH IS A GERMANIC LANGUAGE.
Joey   Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:18 pm GMT
If modern English was a dish it would be made up of old English and old French and seasond with a little Latin and a hint of celtic to spicing it up and presto we have this thread.
Sander   Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:19 pm GMT
>> If you consider just the native Germanic words, English is probably a little closer to the Balto-Slavic branch of Indo-European than to the Italic or Romance branches which includes French. <<

Indeed, some have even proposed a common ancestor, not a big fan though.

Joey,

Don't worrying about correcting me, I spotted some mistakes in your Afrikaans as well ;-)

LAA,

No.
Uriel   Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:34 am GMT
Are you boys still fighting about this? Good lord!
Tiffany   Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:54 am GMT
I would say testosterone has no limits, but I've been known to drag things out too...