Best way to Learn British English?

Hella you Fool   Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:20 pm GMT
Proper English sir -

it would be

"Shut up, you school bred old bagger."

HAHA
Adam   Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:36 pm GMT
I don't even think there IS a Northern Ireland national anthem, just like there isn't an English one.

Only Scotland and Wales do.
Sander   Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:59 pm GMT
There is so ...

Adam ruled England
until the Bruce and him
started a band
made a song
and took at a hand
to be best fans
of the Spice Girls
fenian   Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:08 pm GMT
i'm a fenian n ah hate fucking huns
Sander   Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:53 pm GMT
What is a Hun?
Adam   Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:55 pm GMT
I wonder what Damian thinks about this -

Remote British island move tempts hundreds from US.

Fair Isle, the remotest of Britain's approximately 900 islands, and one of only about 70 islands that exceed three square miles in size, has received hundreds of enquiries from Americans wanting to live there.

At the moment, it has a population of about 70.

Remote island move tempts hundreds from US
11:20am 13th October 2005

Hundreds of Americans have inquired about starting a new life on Britain's most remote inhabited island... amid a frenzied interest in knitting.

A search has been launched for new residents to live on Fair Isle, 25 miles south-west of the Shetland mainland, but skills including construction skills or experience in knitting are required.

The National Trust for Scotland said today it had received more than 800 inquiries from people interested in the move.

Of those who have expressed an interest, around 95 per cent are from America, and many have knitting skills which the island is famous for.

In total, 80 firm applications have been received to live on the island, which has a population of just 70.

One of the three properties available has already been let to a marine engineer who was born on the island and who had hoped to return.

There are now two houses available, one four-bedroom and one five. No jobs are offered but there will be opportunities, particularly for those with construction skills or experience in knitting.

Angus Jack, NTS regional surveyor in Inverness who is handling the leasing, said: "There is no doubt that the Americans are attracted by the knitting.

"Many of the applicants from the States have families that they would bring with them. Many of their applications are very good, they have the skills we are looking for in knitting, construction, IT and engineering.

"There has been a major interest in knitting and the vast majority of Americans do have knitting skills. We have even had applications from men who are avid knitters.

"Some applicants have written books on knitting, one in particular wants to write a book specifically on Fair Isle knitting."

Mr Jack said the NTS and the islanders' housing forum will draw up a shortlist of around eight applicants by the beginning of next month. These people will be asked to produce detailed business plans and research how they would make a living on the island.

Of these. two or three will be asked to travel to the Fair Isle for a three-day visit, after which the forum will decide which candidates should make the move.

Fair Isle is well known as a knitting method and a pattern type. Real Fair Isle patterns are built up in horizontal bands, by knitting two coloured yarns in each row.

dailymail.co.uk
Adam   Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:02 pm GMT
"While we're on the subject -- what exactly IS the UK? One nation made up of 4 countries? One country made up of 4 nations? What exactly is the difference between the UK and Great Britain? You're all British except when you're English, Scottish, Welsh, or Northern Irish, or you're all British AND you're Eng., Scot., W. and NI? HOW DOES THAT WORK? "

GREAT BRITAIN, THE UNITED KINGDOM,
THE BRITISH ISLES, BRITISH ISLANDS

Many are not aware of the precise meaning of the term "Great Britain". Even many British are unaware of the precise reality that the term expresses. Try asking a person living in the United Kingdom the exact meaning of the expression they have on their passports: "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". Many will not be able to provide an adequate answer. No wonder, therefore, that confusion also exists outside the United Kingdom and that in other European countries people erroneously group together the English, Scottish and Welsh under the word in their own language meaning "English". Hence, for example, the French commonly group them together in the term "anglais" and the Italians "inglesi"). This can be a cause of offence for the Scottish and the Welsh.
Here we shall try to explain the meaning of the terms "Great Britain", "United Kingdom", "British Islands" and "British Isles" as wells as the political and geographical realities that they express.

Great Britain
Great Britain is the largest island in Europe. "Great Britain" is the collective name for the three countries of England, Scotland and Wales. It also includes the small adjacent islands but it does not include the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
The term "Great Britain" came into being when England and Scotland became a single kingdom under King James VI of Scotland who also became King James I of England, after the death of Queen Elizabeth I in 1603. It must be remembered, however, that this was not a political union but merely the union of the crowns of the two countries. Politically they were still two states, each with its own Parliament.1 Political union came about only during the reign of Queen Anne, in 1707. It was in this year that the Scottish Parliament assembled for the last time and the formal union of Parliaments was effected. It was on 1 May of that same year that the "United Kingdom of Great Britain" came into existence.
Under Edward I the conquest of Wales was completed and Wales was united to England under Henry VIII, the second monarch descended from the Welsh House of Tudor. 2 This union was ratified by two Acts of Parliament in 1536 and again in 1543.

The adjective "British"
The adjective "British" is, of course, used in relation to Great Britain but there is also a common tendency to use it when referring to issues relating to both Great Britain and the United Kingdom. This is inaccurate and from a legal point of view erroneous.
Sometimes, however, in legislation the term "British" is used to refer to the United Kingdom as a whole, especially in matters relating to the question of nationality. 3

The United Kingdom
The United Kingdom is made up of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The official name "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" came into use in 1922 after the constitution of the Irish Free State (1922-1937), the former name of the Republic of Ireland.
The whole of Ireland had been united to Great Britain by an Act of Parliament in 1800 and which took effect in January 1801. 4 However, this union had never been popular in Ireland and became the target of Irish Nationalist leaders ever since. The union of the whole of Ireland with Great Britain lasted until the constitution of the Irish Free State. The Treaty that sanctioned the separation laid down that the six counties in the north should remain united to Great Britain hence constituting Northern Ireland, part of the United Kingdom but not part of Great Britain.
Therefore, the United Kingdom of Great Britain, used to indicate the political union of England, Scotland and Wales, was expanded, in the 20th century, to include Northern Ireland: the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" as it now appears on passports.

When speaking of the United Kingdom and its constituent parts it is important to use the correct terminology. In 1969 the Royal Commission on the Constitution was set up with the aim of examining the relation between central legislature and government on one hand and the "several countries, nations and regions of the United Kingdom" on the other. The words "countries", "nations" and "regions" reveal a certain vagueness which was eventually resolved by the Report of the Commission. 5

The Isle of Man and the Bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey are not part of Great Britain, they are not part of the United Kingdom and neither are they part of the European Union. They are self-governing British Crown dependencies.

The British Islands
The expression "British Islands" has been defined in the Interpretation Act 1978 as meaning the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. The Republic of Ireland is not included in this definition.

The British Isles
The expression "British Isles" is geographical and not political. They are a group of islands off the northwest coast of Europe consisting of Great Britain, the whole of Ireland, the Orkney and Shetland Islands, the Isle of Man, the Inner and Outer Hebrides, the Isle of Wight, the Scilly Islands, Lundy Island, the Channel Islands and many other smaller islands.

THE MAIN ISLANDS
OFF THE SHORES OF GREAT BRITAIN

--------Separate each nation.
*****Separate each island group.

ENGLISH ISLANDS

Isle of Wight
Isles of Scilly

Lindisfarne
Lundy

----------------------------

WELSH ISLANDS

Anglesey (inc. Holy Island)
Caldey
------------------------

SCOTTISH ISLANDS

Shetland Islands

Mainland
Bressay

Whalsay
Yell

Fetlar
Unst

Fair Isle

Orkney Islands

Mainland
Burray

S. Ronaldsay
Hoy

Shapinsay
Eday

Westray
Papa Westray

Rousay
Stronsay

Sanday
N. Ronaldsay

Outer Hebrides

Lewis
Harris

Scalpay
North Uist

Benbecula
South Uist

Eriskay
Barra

Vatersay

Inner Hebrides

Skye
Raasay

Canna
Rum

Eigg
Muck

Mull
Iona

Lismore Seil

Easdale
Luing

Kerrera
Coll

Tiree
Islay

Jura
Colonsay

Gigha

Clyde Islands

Arran
Bute

Cumbrae

OTHER ISLANDS (not part of Great Britain)

Rathlin (Northern Ireland)

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Alderney
Guernsey
Herm
Jersey
Sark

Uriel   Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:03 pm GMT
Oh yes, we Americans are just knitting maniacs. All day long, from dawn to dusk, those needles are clacking. I need a wheelbarrow just to cart my yarn around. Why, just this morning, while monitoring surgery, I knitted an afghan and two popcorn scarves! And the surgeon whipped up a fine pair of mittens out of the leftover suture -- a little shiny, maybe, and they'll dissolve in a couple of months, but very stylish!
Damian   Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:13 pm GMT
Adam: At least Fair Isle would be better than St Kilda. If the Americans settle down on the island at least they'll have the Fair Isle sweaters to keep them warm when the blinding rain, sleet, snow and hail storms start kicking in. Rather them than me. Being a city lad I'd die of boredom inside a month...correction...a week....correction...a day..correction...an hour!

I followed that story quite closely today, Adam. For some inexplicable reason Americans seem to have a strong urge to buy and live on remote Scottish islands! Has nobody ever told them about our mega inclement climate up there???? It's got to have something to do with heritage..... Give me inner city Edinburgh any day! On Fair Isle they don't have a bus every ten minutes or a hypermarket round the corner.

Sander:

A Hun - 1 A member of several Asiatic nomadic peoples speaking Mongoloid or Turkish Languages who once dominated much of Eastern Europe and who invaded the Roman Empire.

2 A vandal

3 In WW1 a derogatory term the British used to refer to a German
Uriel   Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:20 pm GMT
No offense -- it's a nice place-- but I can't say I've really ever had an urge to move to the UK -- and if I did, it certainly would not be to some obscure little rock off the coast! And yes, your weather is a little bitty part of that equation.... ;)
Damian in EH12   Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:49 am GMT
Och! Only a LITTLE bitty part??? :-)

British weather......ok choose another word that rhymes with "bitty" and there you have it! :-)

Still, it keeps us fresh in our ever so green rolling pastures...and does wonders for our clear pale unblemished un-sun damaged rose petal skin complexion! Smooth as a baby's bum....

:-)

btw here in Rainy Chilly Windsept Britain a bum is the behind.....not some drouthie old tosser of a dosser
Adam   Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:12 am GMT
"I followed that story quite closely today, Adam. For some inexplicable reason Americans seem to have a strong urge to buy and live on remote Scottish islands! Has nobody ever told them about our mega inclement climate up there???? It's got to have something to do with heritage..... Give me inner city Edinburgh any day! On Fair Isle they don't have a bus every ten minutes or a hypermarket round the corner."

I also wonder what the nightlife will be like on the island. Maybe there's just one pub there and nothing else.

If they wanted to live in Scotland, a big city like Edinburgh or Glasgow would have been better.
Adam   Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:14 am GMT
"A Hun - 1 A member of several Asiatic nomadic peoples speaking Mongoloid or Turkish Languages who once dominated much of Eastern Europe and who invaded the Roman Empire.

2 A vandal

3 In WW1 a derogatory term the British used to refer to a German "

I think "Hun" is also what a Celtic supporter calls a Rangers supporter.
Roger   Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:56 pm GMT
Is it just me or does it seem as if this dicussion has digressed considerably from the original queastion?
Rolls   Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:17 am GMT
You are correct Roger, but it all relates in some way...