Spanish and filipino

Unknown Author   Wed May 02, 2007 2:04 am GMT
It is true... the only language that unites us Filipinos by terms of communicating is "English" language, but it is not our own. I really wish they would bring Spanish back...
Guest   Wed May 02, 2007 3:42 am GMT
Sheesh! Like a broken record...
Fundador   Wed May 02, 2007 7:10 am GMT
Visayans and Mindanaoueños do not care about tagalog, they speak more spanish words in visayas and mindanao. Many of them do not speak tagalog , but they speak english and some of them spanish.
Guest   Wed May 02, 2007 11:23 am GMT
<<Sheesh! Like a broken record... >>

Sirang plaka ba'ng ibig mong sabihin, 'tol? Siguro nga.
Visitor   Wed May 02, 2007 1:25 pm GMT
<<Visayans and Mindanaoueños do not care about tagalog, they speak more spanish words in visayas and mindanao. Many of them do not speak tagalog , but they speak english and some of them spanish. >>

Have you ever talked to average Sugbuhanon Visayans? They usually struggle with their English although they fully understand it . They are more comfortable in using Tagalog to communicate with people from other Philippine ethno-linguistic group.

People from non-Tagalog speaking regions including the Sugbuhanon Visayans who migrated to Metro Manila and other Tagalog speaking areas tend to become Tagalog speakers most of the time especially if they are already long time residents of those places.

I always hear a lot of them talking with their fellows in Tagalog with accent reminiscent from where they came from. Many of them deny that they have already forgotten their maternal tongue but in reality haven't. But for those who speak the language with a native Tagalog accent they deny where they came from and they would only tell the truth when you cornered them somewhere along the conversation.

My question is "When are you going to stop making a divide and rule strategy just to impose another foreign language to Filipinos in order to make it appear that it is the most ideal tool to unite them?"

Visayans are not like Dravidian speakers of India who feel adverse to Hindi. So please don't sow intrigues.
Guest   Wed May 02, 2007 3:08 pm GMT
psshhh filipinos lol lol ololol lol lol!!!!!!
Guest   Thu May 03, 2007 12:26 pm GMT
<< psshhh filipinos lol lol ololol lol lol!!!!!! >>

Ikaw ang ulol!
Another Guest   Thu May 03, 2007 10:03 pm GMT
>>>Have you ever talked to average Sugbuhanon Visayans? They usually struggle with their English although they fully understand it . They are more comfortable in using Tagalog to communicate with people from other Philippine ethno-linguistic group.

Are you a Bisaya? I am. More Bisayans, at least the educated ones, would rather prefer English than Tagalog. Tagalog is not compatible with Cebuano since the latter is less multi-syllabic. Cebuano is more compatible with Spanish, then English. Tagalog? Nah.
Unknown Author   Fri May 04, 2007 2:24 am GMT
Most people who does not like Spanish just says whatever to win the debate. They clearly don't know anything hahaha.

Yes it is true, majority of the "PROPERLY EDUCATED" Filipinos prefer to speak English, even in Manila where I grew up. The ones speaking "Tagalog" are the ones with no education or lesser education and mostly the less fortunate ones, the ones with high wealth status and usually the "Well-educated" ones speaks English as their first language and some of them speaks fluent Spanish together with English, they rarely speak Tagalog.

As of Cebuanos, I have many many many Cebuano friends and they don't like Tagalog, they actually "love" Spanish people and prefers re-adopting the Spanish language while speaking both Cebuano and English.

As of my friends from Mindanao, I have many friends from Zamboanga, they clearly understand Spanish but they cannot speak it fluently,although they can speak it good when you give them the Spanish word that the chabacano language changed from Spanish words.

My late teacher when I was in highschool spoke PERFECT and VERY FLUENT English, he is from Cotabato.
100%Filipino   Fri May 04, 2007 6:31 am GMT
Filipino Identity is a complex topic that seems to always polarize Filipinos. Some of us feel very Asian, others Hispanic and still others uniquely Filipino. I think Filipino culture and identity is comprised of all these backgrounds.keep in mind that we have a colonial history which significantly shaped filipino identity, culture and language. I've struggled a long time to try to explain the ambiguity in defining filipino identity myself and so this is just mt attempt to explain it. Keep an open mind and I'd like to know what others think ...

I - Filipino identity is Asian.

1) Geographically, the Philippines is recognized as being in Asia (specifically Southeast Asia).

2) If the Spaniards had never colonized the Philippines, we would be nearly identical to the Malaysians and Indonesians in both language and culture. For the most part, scientists believe that the vast majority of filipinos are of Malay stock (except for some small percentage of european and other asian influences). So I submit that racially we are primarily Southeast Asian, specifically malay/indonesian (or austronesian if you like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austronesian_languages).

II - Filipino identity is Hispanic.

3) Filipino Asian identity was short-circuited by the Spanish Colonial period. The path to evolving into a country highly similar to Malaysia and Indoniesia was significantly altered and the Philippines underwent heavy hispanization for some 300 to 400 years. The Filipinos developed a central filipino identity.

4) At the point in time when the Spaniards colonized the Philippines, we did not yet develop a long rich history or culture. For example, we cannot compare philippine culture and history at that time to ... China, India or Japan. We were independent island people that were comprised of a myriad of tribes that had their own unique subcultures and languages. there was no central filipino identity. This made genuine filipino hispanization possible.

5) The Filipino Identity is Catholic. Furthermore it is a hispanic version of catholism that is practiced in the philippines (e.g. religious fiestas, wedding rituals similar to other hispanics such arras, lazo etc.).

6) The Filipino Languages are all, in varying degrees, versions of Spanish creole. Although small, in relation to the entire population, there are about 3+ million people who can speak spanish in the philippines. That is more than in any other country in asia and about the same number as uraguay and panama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language). There are about 1 million speakers of various version of Chavacano spanish creole languages. The Philippines is the only asian country in the Latin Union (which comprises all the countries in which languages derived from Latin are spoken) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Union).

7) If the Americans never colonized the Philippines we would have eventually become very similar to other Hispanic countries in both language and culture. The Philippines was undergoing a hispanization very comparable to that of other Hispanic countries in Latin America esp. Mexico until the Unites States invaded the Philippines. Remember, at the time PI had already declared her independence from Spain, wrote a constitution (malolos) in Spanish, wrote a national anthem (originally in Spanish), chose spanish as the national language. Although the spread of Spanish as the common language was slower in the Philippines for various reasons, by 1898 some 60% of the population couls speak spanish to some extent as a second language with varying degrees of fluency. This is not suprising as even in Mexico, Spanish was not spoken fluently by the majority of the population until Mexico won independence from Spain. Many believe that if it were not for the American invasion, the philippines would have eventually spoken spanish widely today.

III - Filipino identity is Uniquely Filipino.

8) Hispano-Filipino Identity was short-circuited by the American Colonial Period. The path to evolving into a country highly similar to Latin Amerian countries was cut short and the Philippines underwent a period of Anti-Spanish propaganda followed by a short-lived (50 years) period of Anglo/American-ization.

9) Here the difference is that at the point in time when the Americans colonized the Philippines, we had now a long history (300-400 years) and culture that was the basis for a central filipino identity. This made Americanization very artificial in terms of true cultural penetration. The anti-spanish propaganda campaign by the Americans (which was done to try to show spain and not america as the imperialis villain) did do significant damage to filipino hispanic identity. I think the damage was so great that many filipinos now question our own simalarities with other Hispanics. And we are constantly trying to re-define filipino identity once again during this post-american colonial period. Particularly among Filipino Americans, there is an identification by some, to the larger Asian community. To an extent, I think this is fueled by American society arbitrarily catagorizing filipinos with the rest of Asia with no regard to our Hispanic and Southeast Asian/Austronesian roots either through misinformation or ignorance.

10) Although the Spaniards colonized the philippines, filipinos remain a southeast asian people. Because we are a people of Asian origin, we have manifested our Hispanic culture in a unique way and have evolved into a unique hispanic-asian identity. And although the Americans tried to Anglicise the philippines during a short period of filipino colonial history, the Philippines is still primarily a hispanic-asian people. However, the American colonization has succeeded in causing some cultural amnnesia and confusion. Filipinos have turned somewhat anti-spanish for reasons we dont even know anymore. And some of us ask, "how can we be hispanic if we dont speak spanish"? Hispanic doesnt just mean Latin American. Hispanic is anything that is derived from Spain, spanish culture, cuisine, music etc. Filipino culture is comprised of all these. We may not all speak spanish but we speak languages that are either partially (talgalog 30% spanish) or mostly (zamboangueno/other chavacanos which is 80-90% spanish) derived from spanish. Sephardic Jews and Equitorial Guineans are also hispanic but they are not Latin American...
pureFilipinoDude   Fri May 04, 2007 6:45 am GMT
I am native filipino and speak filipino and spanish. I am not spanish mestizo an have not inherent pro-spain biases. But I think that learning spanish can only benefit filipinos not hurt them. Here are some benefits that I can think of in re-establishing not only the Spanish language but also strengthening our ties with Spain and Latin America:
1) Employment: The growing call-center industry pays good salaries (at least 2X more the norm) for spanish speaking employees. Filipinos also have cultural affinity with Hispanic customers which aids in the overall communication exchange.
2) Employment: Spanish is the 2nd language in the US. There are many opportunities in the US for spanish speaking workers.
3) Business: Spanish is the 2nd most popular language in the world. There are business opportunities and cultural advantages the Philippines can have by re-establishing ourselves as a Spanish Speaking country.
4) Business: Spain is the FASTEST growing country in the EU. The spanish govt has stated many times that they want to strengthen their ties with Asia via the Philippines.
5) Employment: Spain is the number one tourist destination in the world. Filipinos already have a good reputation as excellent workers in Spain. Filipinos can get higher level positions by speaking spanish well.
6) Business: Spain has proposed and is working on a commercial triangulation between Spain (EU)->Philippines (ASEAN)->Latin America.
7)History: most of the history of the philippines is written in spanish. Translations into English are very often interpreted with an Anglo/American slant and contain many inaccuracies. The ability to read our own history in spanish is essential in our struggle to understand our Filipino Identity. There has been too much Pro-Amenican and Anti-Spanish propaganda during the American occupation that needs to be balanced out. We can do this by interpreting our own history for ourselves apart from American historical propaganda.
8) Business: the Spanish govt. has set asside numerous grants for spanish cultural development projects in the philippines. Enterprising Filipinos can access these grants.
9) Tourism: Why not try to atract tourism from Spain and Latin America. Spain especially has an unusually large number of tourists travelling to Asia, yet many never reach the Philippines. The Philippines should be the number one destination for Spanish tourists!
10) Politics: Spain can be the main ally in the European Union for the Philippines. The Philippines can be the main ally for spain in ASEAN.
11) Terrorism: We are also both countries with a terrorist problem and separatist movement. Spain (ETA and Al Qaida) Philippines (MNLF, Abu Sayyaf, Al Qaida).
Guest   Fri May 04, 2007 11:24 am GMT
<<Business: Spain is the FASTEST growing country in the EU.>>

Thanks to Catalonia and Basque speaking region, the economic and industrial powerhouses of Spain. So the credit belongs to them.
Guest   Fri May 04, 2007 11:44 am GMT
Thanks to Catalonia and Basque speaking region, the economic and industrial powerhouses of Spain. So the credit belongs to them.

Enough with your separatist ideals. Your implication is highly empirical with a tacit collusion.
Guest   Fri May 04, 2007 11:48 am GMT
<< Are you a Bisaya? I am. More Bisayans, at least the educated ones, would rather prefer English than Tagalog. Tagalog is not compatible with Cebuano since the latter is less multi-syllabic. Cebuano is more compatible with Spanish, then English. Tagalog? Nah. >>

Cayong mga pro-castilaloy, para cayong mga lañgao na tumabi lang sa calabao acala nio calabao na rin cayo o caya parang lañgao na tumuntong lang sa licod ng calabao, acala nio mas mataas pa cayo sa calabao. Cung gusto niong mag-aral ng castila, cauo na lang at juag nio na caming idamay sa mga cajibañgan nio cung puede lang sana.

Mucjang lalampasan nio paguiguing matapobre at panlalait nila.

Well, anyway with your statement, it's like it would be a lot easier for Spanish speakers to learn Cebuano than either Italian or Portuguese even though they belong to the same language family, Romance or neo-Latin languages based on what you wrote that Cebuano speakers are more adept in learning English or Spanish(which they really don't know) than Tagalog despite the fact that Tagalog and Cebuano belong to the Austronesian or Malayo-Polynesian language family.

Alam mo tol bilib din naman ako sa logic mo. Di ko malaman kung me colonial mentality ka ano kaya mo nasabi yun. Kung sasabihin mo o nyo na mas practical ang English o Spanish dahil ginagamit sa sila sa di lang iisang bansa, agree ako sa yo o sa inyo.

Sorry ha? Kailangang pag-aralan nyo kung pano gamitin ang "Art of Reasoning"
Guest   Fri May 04, 2007 12:17 pm GMT
"Sheesh! Like a broken record..."

There are a lot more idiomatic expressions similar to yours:

- One is lifting his own bench.
- Burning his own eyebrow.
- Making a rope out of sand.
- Broken head.
- Procelain complexion.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!