United-Statian movement

Franco   Sun May 20, 2007 1:19 am GMT
Why does this exist when it is obviously flawed? America refers to USA in English language so why do people try and change it? It's stupidity at its most defiant level!

I suggest name change to "Georgia-statians" to distinguesh from the country of georgia.
elbarto   Sun May 20, 2007 1:23 am GMT
I thought u hated Statians.. oh well
American is a person from America, which is the name of the continent, and even if the Americas (in plural), still people from "the Americas" would also have the right to be called Americans.
The American   Sun May 20, 2007 1:29 am GMT
Franco, what are you talking about?
Franco   Sun May 20, 2007 1:32 am GMT
I'm not a supporter of America no, but I can accept the truth! It is just silly to say that America 'hijacked' that name of the continent! The Americas refers to nth and sth america...

The American,
I'm protesting against the ridiculous PC 'United statian' name for refer to Americans (from USA).
The American   Sun May 20, 2007 1:37 am GMT
Oh, okay.

I've never even heard a "United Statian" movement, outside of a few obscure references on this board.
elbarto   Sun May 20, 2007 1:38 am GMT
Too bad, it is a movement now, and let me tell you, just has the Statian have a derogative name to call every single nationality in this world, we also call them this one, the British call them Yanks, there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a little bit of retribution.
The American   Sun May 20, 2007 1:46 am GMT
I don't think calling us "Statians" is insulting, it's just confusing.
elbarto   Sun May 20, 2007 1:49 am GMT
I no, it's not insulting, there are other words for that, but it's more like... precise, to me it even sound nice the word "Statian", but some of the people from the US find it to be derrogative.
Franco   Sun May 20, 2007 1:50 am GMT
How is it pronounced; Statian?

Like Station? United Stations? Train stations?
Unknown   Sun May 20, 2007 1:55 am GMT
The American   Sun May 20, 2007 2:01 am GMT
So then would the Mexicans complain because their country is technically called "United States of Mexico"?

The reality is that we've been called "Americans" for centuries. The name came from the British back in the 18th century, I believe. Long before most of the other countries in North America or South America even existed. Furthermore, North America and South America are different contintents. The residents of those continents can refer to themselves as "North Americans" or "South Americans" if they must.
Guest   Sun May 20, 2007 2:06 am GMT
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9OTf8nYScSo

The reality is that we've been called "Americans" for centuries. The name came from the British back in the 18th century, I believe. Long before most of the other countries in North America or South America even existed. Furthermore, North America and South America are different contintents. The residents of those continents can refer to themselves as "North Americans" or "South Americans" if they must.

ORALE PUTO, Ah ji se ase!
elbarto   Sun May 20, 2007 2:13 am GMT
For your information the actual name is "United Mexican States" which is different, because it implies that is a Union of States and those states are Mexican, as for the "United States of America" it implies that that Union is located in America, or tell me who do you think you came out with that name?? You invented it? No that's how the new world was called, but you simply borrowed the name for your own country.

Then you realized that the rest of Americans would be upset, so you promoted the idea of 2 separate continents called North and South America (again coming from the original word America) but most countries kept the idea of only one continent called America.

Since you rely so much on Wikipedia please go and check for “the Americas” and then click on all the different languages and you’ll see how they all use a singular word called “America”
Tiffany   Sun May 20, 2007 2:20 am GMT
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FSauTjjpjys

For your information the actual name is "United Mexican States" which is different, because it implies that is a Union of States and those states are Mexican, as for the "United States of America" it implies that that Union is located in America, or tell me who do you think you came out with that name?? You invented it? No that's how the new world was called, but you simply borrowed the name for your own country.

Nigaroach, please!!!
Guest   Sun May 20, 2007 2:24 am GMT
<<For your information the actual name is "United Mexican States" which is different, because it implies that is a Union of States and those states are Mexican, as for the "United States of America" it implies that that Union is located in America, or tell me who do you think you came out with that name?? You invented it? No that's how the new world was called, but you simply borrowed the name for your own country.>>

The British gave us the name, and it's become tradition. Besides, we're the oldest free country in the Western Hemisphere, we have a right to the name.

<<Then you realized that the rest of Americans would be upset, so you promoted the idea of 2 separate continents called North and South America (again coming from the original word America) but most countries kept the idea of only one continent called America.>>

Talk about revisionist history. North America and South America are moreso seperate continents than Europe and Asia are.

<<Since you rely so much on Wikipedia please go and check for “the Americas” and then click on all the different languages and you’ll see how they all use a singular word called “America”>>

More non-sense. All languages have words for North and South America.