Which are the most useful languages to travel?

Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 5:40 am GMT
Check this out too!

***** Although the number of actual speakers in Mexico is not particularly large, and the fact that it was for a short time a French colony notwithstanding, it has historically maintained close cultural ties with both France and French Canada (it shares with the United States the largest number of French Alliance schools in the world, and there is an extension school of the National University of Mexico in Gatineau, Canada). Source:[http://www.nadeaubarlow.com/books/view/2/2 Theoretically, Mexico could qualify for Francophonie membership[citation needed]. *****

The link is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francophonie too:
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 6:08 am GMT
Wanna know why French remains the second most important language?

Click this link! http://www.nadeaubarlow.com/books/view/2/2
le frogeater   Sat May 26, 2007 9:14 am GMT
> I would love to see some real statistics on the matter, as a while back I read that French was the second most prevelant language on the internet.

of course only statistics where French is number two are real statistics, anything else is faked and simply anti-french propaganda!!!!1

No, even that is not true. French is number one!
Anybody who says something else is a filthy lying french-hater

Vive la France!!!! La Grandest Nation ever!!!

LOL
Traveller   Sat May 26, 2007 12:11 pm GMT
<<Which are the most useful languages to travel around the world? English is one of them, but I want to study two more. >>

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pays_touristiques.svg

The beautiful France is the most visited country with 80 million of travelers. The 2nd is Spain (53millions), the 3rd USA (41M),the 4th Italia (39 M), the 5th China (37 M). But also, China is becomming very popular,the World Tourism Organization said that China will become the most visited country around 2020.

ranks by travelling interests:
Americas: 1)English(300 M) for USA or Canada, 2)Spanish (355 Million speakers) for Hispanic America and USA, 3)Portuguese (200 M) for Brazil, 4)French (40 M) for Quebec, Haïti, Luisiana, or French Carribea.

Europe: 1)French (120 M) for France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Andorra or Monaco, 2)Spanish (55 M) for Spain and Andorra, 3)Italian (74 M) for Italy and Switzerland, 4)German (110 M) for Germany, Austria, Luxembourg and English for UK and Ireland.

Africa: 1)French (110 M) for francophones' countries, 2)Arabic (150 M) for Maghreb, Egypt, Lybia, Somalia, or Sudan, 3)English (90 M) for English speakers' countries.

Asia: Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Hindi.
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 12:50 pm GMT
<< The beautiful France is the most visited country with 80 million of travelers. The 2nd is Spain (53millions), the 3rd USA (41M),the 4th Italia (39 M), the 5th China (37 M). But also, China is becomming very popular,the World Tourism Organization said that China will become the most visited country around 2020. >>

Stop overestimating China! Of course, if it becomes the number 1 tourist destination, it is because most of its tourist would come from neighboring Asian countries with large populations and it is cheaper to tour that country. If that happens, then just look at the revenue earned and compared them to the revenue of France, Spain, US, and Italy and I assure you that the revenues from those countries derived from tourism would still be far higher than China's. When are you going to leran your lesson on the importance of quality over quantity?

China's economy became stronger because of foreign investments to assemble goods since the cost of labor there is cheaper otherwise China would still be the same as it was during the mid 1980's.

The reason why China's and India's GNP's keep on growing is because of their huge populations and therefore they have large number of consumers that leads to a strong purchasing power since.

Even if China's or India's GNP's become the largest in the world, well all I can say is it isn't the only basis to measure a country's richness. Per capita income, export greater than import, and of course the national income should also be basis. The national income of China and India is still far smaller compared to Western nations, Japan and even Russia.

Just refer to the latest almanac.
Andrew   Sat May 26, 2007 4:09 pm GMT
I read an interesting web. The most useful languages, after English, of course, are languages that are very spoken in a big area, by more than 100 million as mother tongue, and where English is not very known. These languages are four:

Spanish: Mexico, Central America, Caribbean countries, South USA, South America, Spain, Andorra, South France, North Africa, Equatorial Africa and Philippines.

Chinese: China, other Asiatic countries

Arabic: North Africa, Middle East

Russian: former USSR

According to this web, other languages (French, German, Hindi, etc) are less important.

http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/000145.html
The hoax   Sat May 26, 2007 4:19 pm GMT
French is spoken by less people!!!!

They say that is spoken by 175 million. That is partially true. 115 million are francophone people, and you need to add 60 million that are partially francophone (Francophone report).

If we want to be stricter, French is spoken by only 115 million people.

For instance, English is spoken by 525 million people worldwide. If you want to add some people that speak the language partially or students, English is spoken by more than 1 billion. But, strictly, it is spoken by only 525 million.

So, French language is not in the top ten!!! That is disgusting marketing of Frogs!!!!
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 4:35 pm GMT
@Traveller

> Europe: 1)French (120 M) for France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Andorra or Monaco, 2)Spanish (55 M) for Spain and Andorra, 3)Italian (74 M) for Italy and Switzerland, 4)German (110 M) for Germany, Austria, Luxembourg and English for UK and Ireland.

the same nonsense from the diehard French fans like always ...

look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_European_Union#Language_skills_of_European_Union_citizens
A-S   Sat May 26, 2007 4:56 pm GMT
<<I read an interesting web. The most useful languages, after English, of course, are languages that are very spoken in a big area, by more than 100 million as mother tongue, and where English is not very known. These languages are four:
spanish: Mexico, Central America, Caribbean countries, South USA, South America, Spain, Andorra, South France, North Africa, Equatorial Africa and Philippines.
Chinese: China, other Asiatic countries
Arabic: North Africa, Middle East
Russian: former USSR
According to this web, other languages (French, German, Hindi, etc) are less important.
http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/000145.html >>

Andrew you're making a nonsense!

The topic is <<Which are the most useful languages to travel around the world? English is one of them, but I want to study two more. >>

Not "Which are the most useful languages around the world?"
And you overestimate some languages underestimate other, it's easy.

<<French is spoken by less people!!!!

They say that is spoken by 175 million. That is partially true. 115 million are francophone people, and you need to add 60 million that are partially francophone (Francophone report).

If we want to be stricter, French is spoken by only 115 million people.

For instance, English is spoken by 525 million people worldwide. If you want to add some people that speak the language partially or students, English is spoken by more than 1 billion. But, strictly, it is spoken by only 525 million.

So, French language is not in the top ten!!! That is disgusting marketing of Frogs!!!! >>

Stop with frogs please, damned stupid. "Ne met pas le feu aux poudres..."
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 5:23 pm GMT
<<So, French language is not in the top ten!!! That is disgusting marketing of Frogs!!!! >>

According several links French is spoken as a first language by 109 Million french-speakers (9th rank)

<<French is spoken by less people!!!! >>

Mais c'est en Afrique francophone et dans les pays du Maghreb que la proportion des effectifs scolaires a le plus augmenté. La population des élèves scolarisés en français est passée de 8 % (1960) à 33 % (1981). Les prospectives pour l'an 2000 montraient une augmentation de 267 % de scolarisés en français, tandis que l'augmentation de la population était de 73 %. Dans les pays du Maghreb (Algérie, Maroc, Tunisie), pourtant soumis à une politique d'arabisation poussée, la proportion des enfants scolarisés en français a déjà dépassé les 40 %. Bref, comme le français est enseigné dans la quasi-totalité des États du monde, sa situation lui procure une dimension et une portée vraiment internationales... après l'anglais.

You don't undestand French? damageable!

The link was made by Canadians (For those who do not rely on the frogs...):
http://www.tlfq.ulaval.ca/axl/francophonie/francophonie.htm

Exact figures:

128 million Francophones - Speak French (as a native or adopted language) fluently and use it on a regular basis.
72 million "partiel" Francophones - Live in a francophone country but do not speak French regularly, due to limited knowledge.
100-110 million students of all ages - Do not live in a francophone country, but have learned/are learning French in order to communicate with Francophones.

Total:
310 million Francophones.

The french language is now certainly one of the world's most dynamic language before Spanish, Portuguese, or Chinese.

Plus 20 millions Francophones, in 7 years.
The hoax   Sat May 26, 2007 6:41 pm GMT
You are right only in one thing:

There are 128 francophones in the world (115 according to a Francophone report). That is all!!!!

If you want to add students or people that know a basic French, all other languages can do it. There are a lot of people that know a basic English, Spanish, German, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, etc.

But we need to be serious and stricter: French is spoken by 115-128 million people.

For instance:

English: 525 million of speakers, 1 billion of speakers including people that have a basic knowledge in India, European Union, etc, and 2 billion people if you want to add students and people that know "thank you" and "bye".

Spanish: 450 million of speakers, but if you want to add people that can understand a basic Spanish you can add Brazil, Portugal, Italy, and 100 million more worldwide. Perhaps, you can understand 750 million people worldwide that know "gracias" and "adios".

Arabic: 300 million of speakers, but if you want to add people that can understand basic standard Arabic and some basic Arabic words, there are a lot of millions in Muslim world. Perhaps more than 500 million people worldwide.

We need to be stricter.
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 6:59 pm GMT
The problem with Spanish is that it's spoken on one and a half continents by people who all look like this:

http://www.natlauzon.com/images/vote4pedro.jpg

No one else around the world learns this language except to communicate with this people, and that's why it's spoken by only 20 million people as a second language.

On the contrary, all kinds of people who are looking to communicate with other people around the world learn English and French, as they are both true international languages. Odds are good that you can talk to somebody in one of those langauges wherever you may roam. Spanish, Chinese, Hindi, and Arabic are all limited to one part of the world.
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 7:13 pm GMT
Chinese, Arabic and Spanish are the languages more useful to travel
Clovis   Sat May 26, 2007 8:15 pm GMT
<<Spanish: Mexico, Central America, Caribbean countries, South USA, South America, Spain, Andorra, South France, North Africa, Equatorial Africa and Philippines.>>

I don't know why there is "South France"...because Spanish isn't sopken as 'native language' in France, and English is more studied than Spanish...
I'm from Toulouse and I know what I'm saying ;-)
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 8:36 pm GMT
<<I don't know why there is "South France"...because Spanish isn't sopken as 'native language' in France, and English is more studied than Spanish...
I'm from Toulouse and I know what I'm saying ;-)>>

I agree. There are a lot of inaccuracies on that list. For instance in the Phillipines, no one speaks Spanish except for a very small minority. English has taken over there. As well, in the United States, if you only speak Spanish you can't go everywhere in the country, except in a few southwestern states.