Do you like Brazilian Portuguese?

Mariana   Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:43 pm GMT
Alison

»»There was literary work written in Castillan but people did not speak with each other in Castillan. »»

How can you be so sure?

Obviously Castillian was currently spoken in the territories that would become Portugal because those territorires were under Castillian rule.

That is why I wrote

»»Nessa altura a língua espanhola era corrente no território que VIRIA a a ser Portugal.»»

By the way, most likely Castillian was probabbly the language spoken by D. Afonso Henriques our first king and his mother D. Tereja.
Larissa   Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:56 pm GMT
"In the EU people prefer what is European" I don't think so because nowadays on the European airports (for example) you'll see American terms more often than British ones. When I was on the airport in Paris I saw the term "cart" instead of "trolley" or the term "baggage" instead of "luggage" but Paris is in Europe!
Guest   Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:54 pm GMT
Larissa

British English is still very well regarded in Europe. Schools in the Continent will first hire English teachers with the UK accent before they will hire a teacher with an American accent. Most people in Europe strive to get the British accent because it is more prestigious.

I woull say that American English is less prestigous than UK English in the EU.
Larissa   Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:10 pm GMT
"I woull say that American English is less prestigous than UK English in the EU." OK then but why do they use American terms in international business?
Guest   Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:30 pm GMT
Larissa

American English is dominant in the world of business and technology aroundthe world. As far as teaching and learning English in the Continent, people will prefer the British accent over the American accent because it is more prestigious.
Alison   Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:07 pm GMT
Mariana wrote:
>>>How can you be so sure? <<<

I learned history at school.

>>>Obviously Castillian was currently spoken in the territories that would become Portugal because those territorires were under Castillian rule.<<<

Not really. Leon was an older kingdom, Castilla was longer under the rule of Leon.

Alfonso VI:
“A la muerte de su padre en 1065 recibió el Reino de León, mientras que a su hermano primogénito Sancho le correspondió Castilla y a su hermano menor García, Galicia.”

“Sancho no aceptó el testamento de su padre y quiso apoderarse de los territorios que habían pasado a sus hermanos. Sancho desposeyó con facilidad a su hermano García, y después de las batallas de Llantada (1068) y Golpejera en 1072, Alfonso es hecho prisionero por Sancho, el cual se hace así con la corona leonesa”

“El asesinato de Sancho II, a manos de un noble zamorano, le permitió recuperar su trono y reclamar para sí el de Castilla, al no tener Sancho herederos”

“Estos sucesos fueron aprovechados por García para recuperar el trono gallego, pero al año siguiente, en 1073, es nuevamente depuesto y encarcelado de por vida en el castillo de Luna (en donde falleció en 1090).”

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfonso_VI_de_Le%C3%B3n_y_Castilla

There were many battles between the Iberian kingdoms before Portugal existed as an idependent nation. You do not expect that the people from Galicia, changed language according to the ruller do you? Mainly because there were battles between Leon and Castilla.The language spoken by the people was Galician not Castillan.

Leon was closer to Galicia there was some migration of Leonese people to the area of northen Portugal. The isolation of the territory they settled permited that Mirandes, the language of Leonese migrants survived until today.

>>>By the way, most likely Castillian was probabbly the language spoken by D. Afonso Henriques our first king and his mother D. Tereja.<<<

D.Afonso probably spoke several languages, as well as his mother, not just Castillian, and his mother tongue was Galician.

His mother was a Princes of Leon and his father D. Henrique of Burgundi was grand son of King Robert II of France. So you suppose he also spoke French and Leonese.

It does not matter how many languages he spoke but what was spoken by the people and the language of the county of Portugal was Galician not Castillan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry%2C_Count_of_Portugal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teresa_of_Le%C3%B3n
Alison   Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:10 pm GMT
correction:
Mirandes is the name of a variant of Leonese that is spoken in Portugal
Alison   Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:16 pm GMT
Larissa wrote:
>>>"In the EU people prefer what is European" I don't think so because nowadays on the European airports (for example) you'll see American terms more often than British ones. When I was on the airport in Paris I saw the term "cart" instead of "trolley" or the term "baggage" instead of "luggage" but Paris is in Europe!<<<

Did you check your dictionary? Where does it say it is American? Americans just use a synonym.
Mariana   Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:20 pm GMT
Alison,

My point was that many languages were spoken in the territory of Portugal to be, before Portuguese became the language of the territory. You just made my point. Thank you!

My point included the presumption that most people at the time spoke many languages in the territory. You now agree with me. Thank you!

It is always wise to go back and review your history notes. Good job Alison. I hope your learned your lesson well.
Alison   Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:24 pm GMT
Luciana wrote:
>>>"You mean you go to the University in Brazil take a course in Portuguese language and you do not memorise the grammar so it is all right to make grammar mistakes?"

Yes, all we know one should say ITi IS I, IT WAS SHE in English, but the grammar mistakes IT'S ME, IT WAS HIM is so widespread in English it cannot be ignored... Some professors of English are ok with IT'S ME; some still will only accept IT IS I in an essay...<<<

Just a note to myself: Never learn English or Portuguese with a Brazilian teacher. Why pay to learn mistakes?

On a second thought, I suppose there are good and bad teachers in Brazil.
Guest   Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:28 pm GMT
"My point was that many languages were spoken in the territory of Portugal to be, before Portuguese became the language of the territory. You just made my point. Thank you!

My point included the presumption that most people at the time spoke many languages in the territory. You now agree with me. Thank you!

It is always wise to go back and review your history notes. Good job Alison. I hope your learned your lesson well."

Mariana

D. Henrique and his mother does not make "most people" , and Leonese was spoken by the Leonese that were just a very small community not by the Gallician.
Alison   Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:30 pm GMT
that was my message
Alison   Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:39 pm GMT
Mariana
>>>before Portuguese became the language of the territory.<<<

Just explain what you mean with this?
Alison   Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:06 pm GMT
Mariana

D. Henrique and his mother does not make "most people" , and Leonese was spoken by the Leonese that were just a very small community not by the Gallician.

Let's see:

Most likely many languages were spoken by many different people in the ancient Iberian Peninsula before and after Portugal and Spain became countries with permanent borders.

These may include people like D. Afonso Henriques, D . Tereja e o Conde de Andanho, their respective extended families, their friends and their relatives, their neighbors, their acquaintances, their lovers, their enemies, their spies, their priests, their servants and their servants extended families, their soldiers and their soldiers extended families, and most likely their peasants.

Yet some of their guests may have had problems understanding all these different languages, notably the Burgandi cousins themselves not versed in French yet because French did not exist. They, the Burgundis, most likely spoke yet more different languages besides their weird lingo which would become French.

No wonder they were always at war with each other until D. Dinis came and said: "Shup up! From now on everyone living on my land will speak only PORTUGUESE and will write only PORTUGUESE my way!!!". And he proceeded to write his lovely poems pretending he was a woman. Imagine! A king pretending that he was a woman writing love poems to his lovers? WOW!

Any more questions Alison? By the way, are you from the Internet police?
Mariana   Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:17 pm GMT
Sorry! The above message is from Mariana to Alison.