The decline of French

K. T.   Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:53 pm GMT
Some of the immigrants don't read in their native languages. It's a hard life for them.
Adolf   Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:54 pm GMT
I read far worse things on Antimoon and I didn't hear you complaining. Anyway, I don't understand your point of view, I'm only referring to what I found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Poverty_Index
Guest   Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:54 pm GMT
<<Certainly, there are two different sources about this fact, but I think that source which says there is a 20% of illiterate rate in US is more accurate, it fits better the reality I see here.>>

No, like you always do, you prefer the source that reinforces your inaccurate stereotypes (perhaps the ones brainwashed into you by your government-run media?). Furthermore, your comments suggest a lack of understanding of the term "illiteracy." If I am an "illiterate" American, as you seem to be implying, then you're pathetic for letting me run circles around you in every debate we've had.
Guest   Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:57 pm GMT
The HPI is a ridiculous formula that takes into consideration things like literacy rates and percent of population that lives to age 60. While those are important numbers in their own right, they are not incredibly relevant to the discussion of poverty. If we look at percent of population below median income or unemployment rates, we get a much better picture of poverty. In those two categories, Spain is FAR behind the United States.
Adolf   Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:59 pm GMT
After reading carefully what both sources measure, I think I can't the big, big divergence between both: one measures absolute illiterate rate, that is, people who can't read and writte at all, like you, and the other one measures functional illiterate rate, this means people who in theory have the skill to read and writte, but lack a good level of reading comprehension and the ability to write their thoughts, if they have them. Here US education system fails and you get a 20% of functional illiterate people.
Adolf   Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:01 pm GMT
I think I can explain the ...
Guest   Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:02 pm GMT
Arguing with you is like arguing with a second grader. It's plain for everyone here to see that I can read and write, and so much better than you do. Are you ready to stop slinging insults, or is that too much to ask while you're still licking your wounds?
Adolf   Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:06 pm GMT
Ok, Guest, you can read and write, if that is what makes you happy, but that don't change the reality : 20% of US people are functional illiterate.
Guest   Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:07 pm GMT
Adolf, tu as toujours l'injure à la bouche!
Adolf   Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:09 pm GMT
Guest   Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:10 pm GMT
I think a lot of that 20% are immigrants who weren't educated here, and I mean that sincerely. The U.S. educational system has its problems, but I don't think any education system around the world is perfect. And for as "bad" as our system is, we've still built ourselves into a historical powerhouse. Not too shabby, wouldn't you say?
Adolf   Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:28 pm GMT
U.S. is not the only country in the world which receives large amounts of inmigrants.
K. T.   Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:08 pm GMT
"I read far worse things on Antimoon and I didn't hear you complaining. Anyway, I don't understand your point of view, I'm only referring to what I found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Poverty_Index"

Aha! Just as I suspected! That's functional literacy.

We do have programs to teach people to read and ESL programs (some free) to help immigrants to read and speak English.

I don't complain about everything, DO YOU?

Your claim was so outrageous it hit a nerve!
Adolf   Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:09 pm GMT
We also have inmigrants and don't have a 20% of ifunctional lliterate people. We are talking about 20% of US people, that is a big problem, and I don't think they all are inmigrants, not even the half part.
Guest   Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:11 pm GMT
You don't have nearly the number of immigrants that we do. Furthermore, we get some of the dumbest immigrants--Hispanics and Mexicans--on the planet coming into our country.