French and Spanish are regaining Vietnam and Philippines

Franco-Spanophile   Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:07 am GMT
Philippines and Vietnam were historically Spanish speaker and French speaker countries, but these last decades, English overtakes the language monopoly.

Now, with Francophonie, Vietnam whose 1 % of the population are French-speaker is gaining the young population.
In Philippines it's the exactly similar.
Both countries are so much populated, and are Asian countries of the Southeast.

We can see the multilingual panels, and the bad level of French (Vietnam):
http://khongcoai.com/gallery/Tranches%20de%20Vie/image/800/enseigne+gare+de+Hanoi.jpg

Vietnamese french speaker:
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=SvUJ6mbAHUg

Francophonie day (Vietnam):
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=eW_QMdDLyL8

Filipino spanish speaker:
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=DmQeYIppWeg

Hispanidad:
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=IOR6kRWLXIw
Hispano-francophile   Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:36 am GMT
French and Spanish speakers should think that we have a lot of things in common.

Spanish and French are not competitors.

French is spoken in Canada, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Africa and Indochina.

Spanish is spoken in USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Spain, and Philippines.

So, both are important languages. Each one in different countries. We are not competitors. We are almost brothers. :D
Guest   Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:58 am GMT
Yes. Spanish and French are languages very spoken, very studied, and very important.

English is the most important, but French and Spanish are also true international languages.
Franco   Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:14 am GMT
Sí estoy de acuerdo. Francés es un poco más importante , pero suena muy mal. Español suena muy bien pero es un poco menos importante.

Los dos tienes ventajas y desventajas. Y al fin y al cabo a quien le importa la lengua que hablamos, lo que importa eslo que decimos!
kawaii   Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 pm GMT
I don't think so.
There are important languages in Asia, but they are English, Chinese, and Japanese.
Not many people in Asia are learning French or Spanish.
Guest   Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:33 pm GMT
<<I don't think so.
There are important languages in Asia, but they are English, Chinese, and Japanese.
Not many people in Asia are learning French or Spanish. >>

French is spoken in Lebanon, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Pondicherry (India) with generally Indian Ocean, and Israel (25% of the population) historically.
Spanish is spoken in Philippines, Australia and Newzealand (big minorities)

So both are important languages in Asia.
Ocnarf   Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:14 pm GMT
Yes I agree. Spanish is a little more important, but it sounds very bad. French sounds very good but is a little less important. So both have advantages and disadvantages.

Los dos tienes ventajas y desventajas. Y al fin y al cabo a quien le importa la lengua que hablamos, lo que importa eslo que decimos!
Raffaella Carra   Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:24 pm GMT
Spanish heritage is stronger in Philippines than French in Vietnam, because despite Spanish language has almost dissapeared from Philippines, at least Philipinos have spanish names and their religion is roman catholic.On the other hand Vietnam is fully asiatic so it is more difficult French will be again a predominant language.
Guest   Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:59 am GMT
^ Someone's angry

Not true with Philippines speaking Spanish again. Where did you get this info? Internet? Wikipedia? Researchers who spend a year there? LOL

There's one place called Zamboanga that speaks Chabacano. More Spanish than any other dialect in the nation. But that's a tiny population that don't even have any significant influence.

We have been speaking more English than anything else. Our media is English. We speak English in schools from kindergarten to the University level. It's common to hear meetings and conferences at work in English. The Brits taught us English long before Americans came.

In fact, born and raised there, I don't remember a time I did not understand nor speak English. Looking back up to two generations, you can actually tell how much Spanish has disappeared and how English has been competing for Primary language use.
Guest Me   Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:37 am GMT
BTW, if you enter the French room in yahoo messenger, you would notice that many of of those who enter there are young Vietnamese and I ask them if they know English and they answered back no.

Maybe they deny and have the feeling that they dislike English.

Besides them i also chatted with young Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Malaysians, Indonesians, Filipinos, Indians, Arabs, Israelis, Pakistanis etc. in the same room.
Guest   Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:49 pm GMT
In the 1940s, the Philippines had 6 million native Spanish speakers, but this has dwindled down to only a few thousands, after Spanish was replaced by Filipino (which used Tagalog as the basis) as the national language. English then came to be the second national language.

The Philippines nowadays remains to be largely Filipino speaking with English also widely understood.

There are a few Spanish-based creoles known collectively as Chavacanos spoken in areas outside Metro Manila and Zamboanga.

My ancestors spoke both Spanish and Filipino, but now only Filipino is spoken in my family there. Some of my relatives are learning English at school, though.
Adolfo   Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:52 pm GMT
Gloria Arroyo would say you are a bad boy, learn Spanish!
youth   Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:35 am GMT
It amazes why people need to think other people speak their languages to feel good about their own.

get over yourselves.
Lady Gloria   Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:48 pm GMT
Philipines will speak Spanish again since the Philipinos voted for me, so the envious would better get used to the idea.
Enrique Iglesias   Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:11 pm GMT
I am very happy. I am half of Philippines and I speak English and Spanish, like all people in Philippines in the near future.

Un saludo a todos los filipinos.