Africa´s international languages

Guest   Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:12 am GMT
<< People need to understand my argument is Arabic Importance is increasing amongest the Countries in the Arab league. >>

You need to understand our arguments too that although MSA is implemented but Maghrebians still prefer French over Arabic and that's why even though the constitution declared that Arabic is the official language, French is prefered language in government, commerce, education, and literature. Over 75% of the activites in those sectors are done in French and the rest in Arabic. They are more comfortable using French than Arabic. Also most of the news broadcast there are in French and it has more viewers than news in Arabic.

The Maghrebians, Egyptians, Lebanese, Syrians only use Arabic as lingua franca with non-francophone Arabs like Saudi Arabians, Iraqis, etc. and with difficulty but they use French with each other because for them, it's a lot easier to use.

Also if Arabic is universal among moslems then why is it that in Iran Arabic is not the official language and they get rid Farsi of Arabic words to be replaced by native terms? The same thing in Indonesia and Malaysia they only use Arabic in religious ceremonies they use Bahasa in official purposes not Arabic.

In other words non-arab moslems do not use Arabic other than in religion. So if you're projecting that Mali, Niger, Senegal, and Guinea Bissau would drop French and adopt English or Swahili, that is far from reality.

I don't understand you, you want these countries to get rid of French and yet you endorse English instead of Arabic. And worse, you also endorse Swahili which is spoken in ex-British colonies and has little potential to be important outside those countries. Are you a Francophobe or a Hispanic that uses Arabic, English, and Swahili to downgrade French?
Guest   Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:00 am GMT
<What a stupid analysis. If Italian was destroyed and so with English and Arabic schools. Italian sent troops there too not just the US and they are the ones who rebuilt the Itlaian schools there according to Somalians I know. Stop lying Sam alias Youth.>

You do not understand Somali History. ok what have these Somalis (not Somalian which is incorrect) have said then guest.

The reasons English is still used in the North was because it not have the same level of destruction as the South. Whilst the North gained a stable government and got rid of the Warlords, the south still has them and has been in bouts of civil war for 16 years, which have destroyed most of the government schools. Only now have new schools been constructed by private companies and ICU where the main languages is Somali and Arabic (which is an official language). Where English is the more refereed language.

You can see this by the Transitional Government of Somalia, which only speaks Somali and Arabic in all their functions.

Italian has declined rapidly in Africa, It no longer an official language in Eritrea, where there is only 1 Italian school left. levels of italian lybians speakers are a little higher, but still not widespread.

<If I were you youth, I would build an English Language monument and I pay homage before it and worship it.>

Guest, why don't you read my post no where have i said English is the dominant language, i have just said Arabic language influence is increase amongst the Arab league. You need to grow up and stop thinking everyone is against the French language.

<You need to understand our arguments too that although MSA is implemented but Maghrebians still prefer French over Arabic and that's why even though the constitution declared that Arabic is the official language, French is prefered language in government, commerce, education, and literature. Over 75% of the activites in those sectors are done in French and the rest in Arabic. They are more comfortable using French than Arabic. Also the most of the news broadcast there are in Frencfh and it has more viweres than news in Arabic.

The Maghrebians, Egyptians, Lebanese, Syrians only use Arabic as lingua franca with non-francophone Arabs like Saudi Arabians, Iraqis, etc. but they use French with each other>

No French is not the preferred language of the Algerian or Egyptian government, they have clearly stated and implement all their government function in Arabic.

I am sorry to disappoint you but even Syrians and Lebanese speaks Arab to each other as their dialect are very simialr.

Also if look on Al-jeezera which broadcast in MSA and in listen to around the Arab world, when the is a debate between any Arab countries they only us Arabic.

<Over 75% of the activites in those sectors are done in French and the rest in Arabic>

Care to back this!whilst french might still be used in education, there is now denying that Arabic is more dominant in the Media and Entertainment industry.

<Also if Arabic is universal among moslems then why is it that in Iran Arabic is not the official language and they get rid Farsi of Arabic words to be replaced by native terms? The same thing in Indonesia and Malaysia they only use Arabic in religious ceremonies they use Bahasa in official purposes not Arabic.>

Care to point out where have i said Arabic is universal amongst Muslims.
This just prove my point that you didn't understand my post.

I have given my reasons, all you have done is twist what i have said.
youth   Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:07 am GMT
<I don't understand you, you want these countries to get rid of French and yet you endorse English instead of Arabic. And worse, you also endorse Swahili which is spoken in ex-British colonies and has little potential to be important outside those countries. Are you a Francophobe or a Hispanic that uses Arabic, English, and Swahili to downgrade French?>

You either have a serious problem in not understand how to read English or you are reading what you want to read. I have never endorse English over Arabic. I have just said Arabic (MSA) is increasing in use amongst the Arab league.

I actually like French, I am intending to learn it as it is an important language in my Home country (Djibouti). As i have grown up in England so and i am not fluent speaker of French.
youth   Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:24 am GMT
*You either have a serious problem in not understand how to read English or you are reading what you want to read.*

Youth either have a serious problem in that you do not understand how to read English or you are reading what you want to read.
Franco   Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:11 am GMT
El árabe prácticamente no existe en Africa. Sólo se da en algunos países en el norte del continente. Ningunos pueblos lo usan para comunicar entre sí, más bien usan francés o inglés porque los dialectos del árabe son tan distintos que sus hablantes ni siquiera pueden entender el variante del país vecino.

Yo diría que aun español es más importante que el árabe. Arabe no es importante para nada. Así que les recomiendo que aprendan español o francés o inglés, éstos son los idiomas que les ayudarán a ser entendidos en Africa. Arabe puede ser útil si quieres visitar el medio oriente o leer el Corán, pero en Africa encontrarás que es superfluo.
Adolfo   Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:14 am GMT
El francés desaparecerá en los próximos 50 años
Babel   Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:45 am GMT
That´s a problem!!!

Some people say that French will disappear or will divide in several creoles, like in Haiti now.

Other people say that Arabic is useless because is very different in every country, and not all people speak MSA.

And English or Swahili are important in several countries, but not in all of them. And Spanish or Portuguese are less important.

So, if people from Morocco, Egypt, Nigeria, Congo, Senegal, Kenia and South Africa have a meeting they don´t understand each other!!!

Well, they can use the sign language:)
Guest   Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:22 pm GMT
<< No French is not the preferred language of the Algerian or Egyptian government, they have clearly stated and implement all their government function in Arabic.

I am sorry to disappoint you but even Syrians and Lebanese speaks Arab to each other as their dialect are very simialr. >>

And I am sorry to disappoint you too that Maghrebians, Egyptians, Syrians, Lebanese(especially Christians) prefer to use French as lingua franca. Algerians communicate with each otehr when it comes to intellectual matters not in Arabic same as wqith Tunisians and Moroccans. So sorry but that's the truth and ecen if Maghrebians read this they will agree to me because th're more comfortable with French than Arabic.

<< Guest, why don't you read my post no where have i said English is the dominant language, i have just said Arabic language influence is increase amongst the Arab league. You need to grow up and stop thinking everyone is against the French language. >>

It's you who needs to grow up not I. Why can't you accept the fact that French is favored in Maghreb than Arabic? Ask them in Arabic and they will reply back "Parlez-vous Francais?".

<< I actually like French, I am intending to learn it as it is an important language in my Home country (Djibouti). As i have grown up in England so and i am not fluent speaker of French. >>

I don't believe that you're from Djibouti and grew up in England.
Youth   Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:29 pm GMT
<I don't believe that you're from Djibouti and grew up in England.>

thats your problem. I live in London left the country when i was three, been back a couple of times.
Guest   Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:35 pm GMT
<
And I am sorry to disappoint you too that Maghrebians, Egyptians, Syrians, Lebanese(especially Christians) prefer to use French as lingua franca. Algerians communicate with each otehr when it comes to intellectual matters not in Arabic same as wqith Tunisians and Moroccans. So sorry but that's the truth and ecen if Maghrebians read this they will agree to me because th're more comfortable with French than Arabic. >

What are you basing this argument on, I know for a fact that Algerien use MSA when debating, watch Al-jezzera TV and you will see Algerian correspondent debating and talking in Arabic.

Why would French be a the prefereed language when their have their own native language.

I will state again Syrians and Lebanese speak to each other in Arabic, as their dialect are the same.

At my local mosque there are different type of Arabs from different Arab countries and they speak together Arabic to each other.

I am not trying to convince you, as you have same superior complex thinking that people would choose French over their native language.
youth   Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:37 pm GMT
*At my local mosque there are different type of Arabs from different Arab countries and they speak together Arabic to each other. *

At my local mosque there are different type of Arabs from different Arab countries and they speak to each other in Arabic.
Guest   Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:53 pm GMT
(Franco
El árabe prácticamente no existe en Africa. Sólo se da en algunos países en el norte del continente. Ningunos pueblos lo usan para comunicar entre sí, más bien usan francés o inglés porque los dialectos del árabe son tan distintos que sus hablantes ni siquiera pueden entender el variante del país vecino.

Yo diría que aun español es más importante que el árabe. Arabe no es importante para nada. Así que les recomiendo que aprendan español o francés o inglés, éstos son los idiomas que les ayudarán a ser entendidos en Africa. Arabe puede ser útil si quieres visitar el medio oriente o leer el Corán, pero en Africa encontrarás que es superfluo.)

blablablabla

Spanish more important then Arabic in Africa you must be joking.
Guest   Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:06 pm GMT
Youth, you haven't gone to Magheb countries so stop insisting because if French is to be scrapped in those countries then why is it that most of the government and business activities are done in French? The de facto official language in those countries is French even Arabic is the official language stated by their constitutions and in fact Morcco, Egypt, and Tunisia are among the most active members of Francophonie.

<< my local mosque there are different type of Arabs from different Arab countries and they speak to each other in Arabic. >>

Sure they communicate in Arabic but when it comes to formal settings they use French and a lot of Maghrebians prefer to use French in writing than in Arabic. Believe.

The reason why I said that you're not from Djibouti and grew up in England, it's because a lot of viewers in this forum pretend to be citizens of this country when they're not.

As I said before the Italian language is schools are being rebuilt in Southern Somalia with the help of Italian troops there. You can only say that Italian schools were ruined in that area it's because you're a die hard anglophile and you're one of those who are pushing for English only policy worldwide.
Guest   Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:33 pm GMT
<< I will state again Syrians and Lebanese speak to each other in Arabic, as their dialect are the same. >>

Sure, but not in MSA and when they converse with Maghrebians or Egyptians they use French because to them it's more easier to use.

In Maghrebia, news broadcast and printed in French, has more viewers and readers than news broadcasted and written in Arabic.

Again, most mahrebians oreer o wrie in French especially when it comes to intellectual matters and even if you got Maghrebia you would find out that this is true and you're very wrong. They would just laguh at you if you insist what you think.
Guest   Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:34 pm GMT
<< I will state again Syrians and Lebanese speak to each other in Arabic, as their dialect are the same. >>

Sure, but not in MSA and when they converse with Maghrebians or Egyptians they use French because to them it's more easier to use.

In Maghrebia, news broadcast and printed in French, has more viewers and readers than news broadcasted and written in Arabic.

Again, most Maghrebians oreer o wrie in French especially when it comes to intellectual matters and even if you got Maghrebia you would find out that this is true and you're very wrong. They would just laguh at you if you insist what you think.