Please Translate from german?

greg   Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:33 am GMT
Comme Aldebarán le disait : Al <kennen> = Fr <connaître> — Al <wissen> = Fr <savoir>.

Mais en français la distinction entre <connaître> & <savoir> n'est pas aussi nette qu'il y paraît.
Gjones2   Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:46 am GMT
Yes, the American Heritage Dictionary liists two meanings for the English word 'novella': "1. A short prose tale often characterized by moral teaching or satire. 2. A short novel." Though the diminutive ending has been reduced, a remnant remains in 'novel' itself (from 'novella', the diminutive of 'novus' new). With 'novel' being used for long works too, though, there's a need for words such as 'novella' and 'short story' to refer to shorter ones. This is all complicated by the fact that people have different opinions about what's short and what isn't.
Gjones2   Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:49 am GMT
My last post was a response to Candy's.

liists -- lists
Candy   Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:23 am GMT
<<This is all complicated by the fact that people have different opinions about what's short and what isn't. >>

Exactly!

Apropos of nothing much, there was a book published in Germany a couple of years ago, called (this is the original title) 'Short Storys'. In the English translation, this was obviously corrected to 'Short Stories'.

It's interesting to see how film titles are treated here in Germany. Often, they're translated into German, ie 'Lord of the Rings' is "Herr der Ringe'. A lot of the time - 50% perhaps - the title is left in the English original. What really amuses me, though, is when the title is changed to another English title. For instance. 'Miss Congeniality' has the German title 'Miss Undercover' and 'Hollywood Homicide' became 'Hollywood Cops'!
Gjones2   Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:25 am GMT
<g>
Guest   Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:15 pm GMT
Ouais, faites monter. Chaud devant !
Antiearth   Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:11 pm GMT
Please translate again, thanks

"Du bist die Qual
ich war schon immer Masochist
Die Bombe tickt
Hast mich entführt du Terrorist
Schmeckst bittersüss
saugst mich aus wie ein Vampir
Ich bin verhext
komm einfach nicht mehr los von dir"
Antiearth   Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:14 pm GMT
Geh mal früher heim
Und wirf nicht so viel Zeug in dich hinein
Früher gings doch auch
Da waren auch deine Drogen nicht so hart
Und denk nicht nur an dich allein
Und hab nicht so viel Angst vor anderen Frauen
Bleib doch einmal cool
Und sei einfach du selbst

Und wir könnten richtige Freunde werden
Und wir könnten baby, richtige Freunde werden
Schau mich nicht so an,
ich glaub dir sowieso kein Wort
Bitte geh nicht wenn du kommst
Guest   Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:10 pm GMT
Ich liebe your dick!
Easterner   Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:44 am GMT
"Du bist die Qual
ich war schon immer Masochist
Die Bombe tickt
Hast mich entführt du Terrorist
Schmeckst bittersüss
saugst mich aus wie ein Vampir
Ich bin verhext
komm einfach nicht mehr los von dir"

"You are the plague
and I've always been a masochist,
The bomb is ticking,
You've seduced me, you terrorist,
You taste bittersweet,
Sucking on me like a vampire,
I'm charmed
And simply can't get rid of you"

By the way, is that a song lyric of some sort? (I guess so)
Easterner   Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:03 am GMT
Another translation exercise:

"Geh mal früher heim
Früher gings doch auch
Bleib doch einmal cool

Und wir könnten richtige Freunde werden
Und wir könnten baby, richtige Freunde werden
Schau mich nicht so an,
ich glaub dir sowieso kein Wort
Bitte geh nicht wenn du kommst"

"Go home earlier
And don't put such a big dose into yourself
Things used to be better
Your drugs weren't so hard then, either
And don't just think of yourself alone
Don't be so afraid of other women
Just stay cool
And simply be yourself

And we could become real friends
Baby, we could become real friends
Don't give me that look
I don't believe any of your words anyway
Please don't fly when you come."

The "geh nicht" in the last line could refer to being in a drugged state (?). That's why I used "fly".

By the way, I also find the use of some English words in German rather strange. An oft-cited example is "handy" for cell phone, but there are a couple of others. It seems English words start a new life in German, endowed with different meanings from that of the original words. That, I must say, makes some German texts using such words rather misleading at times (I'll try to come up with an example when I can).
Aldebarán   Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:05 am GMT
Geh mal früher heim
Früher gings doch auch
Bleib doch einmal cool

Go times in former times to home and do not throw not so much things into you inside in former times went were nevertheless also there also your drugs not so hard and do not only think of you alone and have not so much fear before other Women remaining nevertheless once cool and is simply you
Easterner   Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:15 am GMT
"Ich lebe
Weil du mein Atem bist
Bin müde
Wenn du das Kissen bist
Bin durstig
Wenn du mein Wasser bist
Du bist für mich mein"

I live
Because you are my breath
I'm tired
When you are my pillow (!)
I thirst
When you're my water
I'm myself because you're mine (!)
Easterner   Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:33 am GMT
Gjones2: "There's a hodgepodge of interrelated literary terms in the European languages. The German word 'Roman' (novel) is also related to the English word 'romance' (which came from French), meaning a "long fictitious tale" [American Heritage Dictionary]. German also has the word 'Novelle', which is typically applied to short novels. An example of a Novelle would be Thomas Mann's Der Tod in Venedig [Death in Venice]. 'Novelle' seems to be related to the Italian term for short story, as in the 'novella' created by Boccaccio (plural coincidentally 'novelle'). The diminutive ending implies shortness. The related term in English ('novel') doesn't carry an implication of shortness. It can be applied to very long works, as can the Spanish word 'novela'. "

The use in Hungarian - and in Slavic languages which I know - is similar to German, though with some differences. Hungarian has "novella" for what is a "short story" in English, but it also has "elbeszélés", which also means "short story" (literally: "a narrated story"). The two are basically interchangeable, although "novella" is a little more intense (and sometimes a little longer) short story, with usually a dramatic climax. Our word for English "novel" is "regény", which means something like "epic story" (as opposed to "epic poem", which is "eposz"). We also have an equivalent for "Novelle" meaning a "short novel": "kisregény" (small novel" in literal English). Serbian and Croatian use "roman" for English "novel", as in French and German, and for "short story", they use a Slavic word "pripovetka/pripovjetka", which means the same as Hungarian "elbeszélés".

Can anyone follow which term means what now? :)
Easterner   Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:51 am GMT
I must make a slight correction concerning the Hungarian terms above:

"novella" - a short, usually condensed epic writing, with a small number of characters, and, as I already said, a dramatic climax

"elbeszélés" ("short story") - also a short epic writing, usually slightly longer than a "novella", with more characters and usally more narrative-descriptive elements (as opposed to dialogues)

"kisregény" ("short novel") - an epic writing similar to a novel, but of a shorter length, usually more condensed than a "novel proper"

"regény" ("novel") - equivalent of English "novel" and French and German "roman"