English in France? Mais oui!

Candy   Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:33 am GMT
And my mother-in-law (from near John O'Groats) speaking the one true language throughout Ontario! :-)
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:09 pm GMT
Nice one, Candy! Send her my best fraternal greetings!
Guest   Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:42 pm GMT
Guest, yes I am French.

And thank you for the advice about Adam. I've already seen in his messages that he was trying to provoke but it seems to me that the more he tries, the more he fails.
Nat   Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:08 pm GMT
The message above was from me. I forgot to write my name :)
Mxsmanic   Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:19 pm GMT
Essentially all schoolchildren choose to learn English in French public schools already, anyway, so making it mandatory would scarcely change anything. Furthermore, given the extremely poor quality of English instruction in French public schools, the French will still be unable to speak it even if it is made mandatory for everyone throughout the school years.

As for preserving French (or any other language), the only way to do that is to preserve the influence of the culture that speaks the language. The influence of France in today's world is minimal, and so French as a language is on the decline in the world (even in the countries where it is spoken as a native language, although the decline is very slow there). This cannot be changed by legislation. France became an important international language when France itself became an important country; as the influence of France has declined, so has the importance of its language on the international scene.

English is important today because it is the language of the United States. Today, the influence of the U.S. is on the decline, but as in the case of French many years ago, English has gained enough momentum to continue to progress on its own as a second language of choice, irrespective of the status of the U.S. This can continue indefinitely, until and unless another country with another language becomes a dominant superpower. China is the obvious candidate, but Oriental societies often prefer to learn the languages of others rather than export their own languages, since they may consider their languages to be their personal possessions and may resent the idea of foreigners learning to speak them fluently.
Georges   Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:46 am GMT
FRENCH is on the decline in FRANCE ??? Are you sure you live on planet Earth, Mxsmanic ?
Georges   Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:05 am GMT
"And thank you for the advice about Adam. I've already seen in his messages that he was trying to provoke but it seems to me that the more he tries, the more he fails."

Nat, it would seem to me that Adam is what Jacques Rouillard would call an internet "casse-bonbons". He tirelessly, everlastingly, invexably and inalterably tries to convey his message : that English is the hardest and best language in the world and that England is the best country in the world. He doesn't even seem to enjoy controversy that much, as he will quickly shy away from an argument if he's losing it.
He also has an extraordinary ability to not care whatsoever if he is proven wrong. He's almost a robot actually.

Read more about internet "casse-bonbons" here : http://www.langue-fr.net/rubricabrac/casse-bonbons.htm
greg   Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:29 pm GMT
Georges : « casse-bonbons » > ha ha ha !!!
Hopeful   Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:25 pm GMT
I´m in Norway and I started with English at school in my first year (when I was 7 years old)
I am so happy that I can speak English fluently
Now, I´m also learning French and Latin at school, but I speak better English since I have had English in so many years
Adam   Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:16 pm GMT
je m'apple Adam!
Adam's apple   Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:31 pm GMT
You must be joking. As you know, you should have written like this:

*Je m'appelle Adam.*
Mxsmanic   Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:49 am GMT
French is indeed on the decline in France, although the decline is very slow. At the current rate, it will persist easily throughout our lifetimes, but the future of the language in centuries to come is not nearly so certain.
Hella   Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:09 am GMT
Its future is about as certain as that of English.
greg   Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:03 am GMT
Mxsmanic : tu pourrais étayer l'affirmation de ton dernier message, stp ?
Damian   Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:13 am GMT
How is it possible for "French to be on the decline in France"? That doesn't make any sense to me...it's the official Language of the country!

If that situation ever came to pass what would replace it? Certainly not English.....France would be the very last country European country to "adopt" English and that's for sure. Old Boney would spin in his grave. It would be like saying England would ditch English and take up with Icelandic.