English in France? Mais oui!

Dan   Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:30 pm GMT
"frenectomy", that's disgusting... is that really true?
Who would do such a crazy thing?
Dan   Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:35 pm GMT
Found the following:
Recently, there has been a big brouhaha in the press about a tongue-snipping surgical operation called “frenectomy” or “frenulotomy” which has become alarmingly commonplace in South Korea. The reason why many South Korean parents force their kids to go through with it is allegedly for the hapless children to become physically capable of pronouncing English perfectly without a single trace of the Korean “L and R” speech defect. The surgical procedure has become so common that the South Korean government has recently released a film that vigorously campaigns against such operations as a violation of the children’s human rights.

How did South Korean society get to such a stage? After initial campaigns by the government to promote English language ability for the sake of economic competitiveness, it seems that more and more emphasis on unaccented and authentic English (preferably American) has become the desired aim. In line with the competitive scramble to achieve perfect and flawless English pronunciation and fluency, South Korea, along with other East Asian societies such as China, Taiwan, and Japan, has been massively recruiting and importing “native English speakers” to come and teach authentic English in the hope that by giving children and other learners direct contact with them, the students would pick up authentic accents, as opposed to developing distinct “Asian” accents of English.
Stan   Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:46 pm GMT
Who could imagine an antimoon without an Adam?, but two Adams will really be asking too much. You wouldn't want to witness the consequence.
Guest   Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:49 pm GMT
Geoff_One   Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:55 pm GMT
<< geoff needs to put himself in other people's shoes. >>

I had some neighbours once, who called me greg.
Even after they realized that my name is Geoff, they continued to call me Greg for about two years.