Baltic languages

Latvietis   Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:40 pm GMT
Vai kaads sheit runaa latviski vai lietuviski?
Does anybody speaks here Latvian or Lithuanian?
Guest   Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:53 pm GMT
no
Seriously   Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:29 pm GMT
I don't mean to offend you but...
Who would speak such minor languages unless he or she is from either Latvia or Lithuania?
Isn't Russian widely spoken and/or understood in those countries?

According to wikipedia, the total population of Lativan speakers are less than 2 million and for Lithuanian, it's less than 4 million.
That's even far less than Vietnamese speakers(70million) or Korean speakers(78million).

Of course, that doesn't mean Vietnamese or Korean is superior than either language. Latvians and Lithuanians should be proud of their own languages and keep preserving them.
Skippy   Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:44 pm GMT
Yeah, I had a friend from Lithuania and she said when she'd go to Vilnius she would have to speak Russian, because not that many people speak Lithuanian (her native language).
Vytenis   Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:20 am GMT
Nonsense, I am from Lithuania. In Vilnius almost everybody speaks Lithuanian (either as a first or as a second language). Apart from those few older soviet-era Russian immigrants who never bothered to learn a local language... Most people can understand Russian though, but younger Lithuanian generation speak English and not Russian.
Vytenis   Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:27 am GMT
Seriously,
not offended :) You need these language when you go to Lithuania and Latvia. If you can speak Russian, you will have no language problems in thgose countries, but some people do not speak Russian or do not want to...
Latvietis   Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:42 am GMT
Labas, Vyteni! ;-) I am Latvian guy from Riga and I decided to learn second living Baltic language, namely, Lithuanian, probably the most conservative and archaic IE language ;-). Could You be so kind to type some Lithuanian learning links? Aciu! :)

To others: Vytenis has right, exept that in small towns in Latvia nearly nobody is able to speak Russian, just cause they don't learn that language. Now everybody learn English or German...Even in Riga young Latvian people speaks Russian very bad or not at all.
Seriously   Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:31 pm GMT
Vytenis(Lithuanian) said:
<younger Lithuanian generation speak English and not Russian. >
Lativetis(Latvian) said:
<Now everybody learn English or German.>

Well, that's even better. I can communicate with local people using English if I ever go there.
And I still don't need to bother learning Lativan or Lithuanian. lol
Guest   Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:36 pm GMT
<<Vai kaads sheit runaa latviski vai lietuviski?
Does anybody speaks here Latvian or Lithuanian?<<

@ seriously
Don't you think Latvietis had native speakers in mind and not YOU.
Guest   Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:06 pm GMT
"Nonsense, I am from Lithuania. In Vilnius almost everybody speaks Lithuanian (either as a first or as a second language). Apart from those few older soviet-era Russian immigrants who never bothered to learn a local language... Most people can understand Russian though, but younger Lithuanian generation speak English and not Russian. "

You're so hypocrite baltic people when you say that you don't speak Russian when it is still mandatory in Baltic schools.

Grow up! Past is past.

Some of you insist that they know Chinese than Russian just to show the world that hated communism but what they didn't know China is a communist country. The most ridiculous statement I've ever heard.

Even you insist that nobody speak Russian in Baltics but the truth is 100% of them do. And you can't survive by just insisting to be under the English speaking world. Are they helping you? I don't think so!
Latvietis to Guest   Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:21 pm GMT
C' mon, without any shit not all young people in Baltic states speak Russian! :)
K. T.   Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:55 pm GMT
I'm a barbarian, but can someone tell me about the "us" or "is" ending in Lithuanian? I've noticed it in names. Does it denote anything in particular? Is it used only with male names? Is it related to Latin in anyway?

Until this year, I had never even met a Lithuanian, so this is all new to me.

(Since this is not such a common language, I hope my simple question won't be deleted. Thanks, K. T.)
Native Korean   Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:07 am GMT
I went to Latvia about two years ago and I noticed a lot of younger generations didn't speak Russian well. (They indeed rather spoke English!)
Well people in their 40s or 50s spoke Russian quite well though.

I also went to Estonia(I didn't go to Lithuania) and the situation was similar. Younger generations didn't speak Russian either unless they were Russian decendants.

*Note: Estonian is not a Baltic language, it's something Uralic or whatever.
Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:49 am GMT
Common you Baltics! Only a small percantage speak good English. I heard many of you "I talk English" instead of English.

I'm so sure that Lithes and Latvians will have little difficulty handling Russian because the grammar are almost identical and they always hear it.

As for you Native Korean, not everybody in the world are like Korrans who go gaga over English and spend huge large sum of money and much time just to say that they are seroius with English and when they are about to converse in English they don't even know when to am , is, are, was, were etc. the very basics of English. it's a waste of time and money.
Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:53 am GMT
The Baltics are more fluent in Russian than English but they deny that they can speak it and avoid as much as possible unless as last resort because of their "trauma on communism".

If you're a fluent English speaker you will notice that their English is so limited in vocabulary and very basic with lots of grammatical errors.