Greek and Spanish comparison

OïL   Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:36 am GMT
"Lol!!! The Reconquista promoted religious freedom? Why did they kill anyone who admitted to being Muslim or Jewish? Why did the Inquisition start shortly after? And what does Muslim control of Spain in the Middle Ages have to do with freedom in modern Canada?"

Josh,
Sans Reconquista il n'y aurait ni Espagne, ni Portugal, ni castillan, ni portugais, ni catalan/valencien... La discussion s'arrête donc là.

De même, les libertés canadiennes sont inséparables de la destruction/marginalisation des cultures des Algonquins, Iroquois, Montagnais, Micmacs, Hurons etc.

C'est comme ça. L'histoire n'est pas une institution charitable.
OïL   Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:42 am GMT
"Which is the theory about the enormous differences between Spanish, French, Italian and Latin?"
— Ces différences sont énormes parce que, quand elles émergent vers le 9e siècle, elles ont déjà (selon moi) 1000 ans d'évolution derrière elles.

" The reason was a different Vulgar Latin in each country?"
— Non, elles viennent d'une langue véhiculaire cohérente et unifiée, mais qui (à mon humble opinion) a remplacé le latin avant même le début de l'Empire romain.
Castellanum   Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:13 am GMT
"<How can the core DNA of Spanish be Caesar's Latin if the grammar and syntax, morphology and pronunciation are so completely different?>"

Untrue.

Actually, it all depends on how you look at it. If you're talking strictly about phonology and accent, Italian probably is the closest to Latin. However in some areas of lexicon and grammatical forms Spanish, Romanian and even French are closer to Classical Latin than Italian is. While Latin continued to change in Italy it tended to ossify elswhere in the Roman Empire in varying degrees. Some of the most archaic Latin words and phonological features are found in Sardinian and in the Dalmatian language (Yugoslavia - extinct since 1898)

Apparently, the Romans also had some famous Latin schools in Baetica (southern Spain, around Córdoba) during the imperial period which also tended to reinforce linguistic conservatism in that part of the Iberian Peninsula. Romanization always took place in areas where there was a lot of settlement by veterans from the Roman Army. Spain was certainly a favorite retirement place for Roman veterans, especially the Costa Brava region (in Catalonia).

for example:
Dum spiro, spero. = Latin (Caesar)
Mientras espiro, espero. = Spanish
While I breathe, I hope.= English
Mentre respiro, spero. = Italian

Spanish as well possesses -coincidenty- similarities with Archaic Latin. One could argue that the Iberian Peininusula perserved proto classical-latin phonetics, verb-conjugationing and lettering of that era of which it kind of did. Besides, Spain was the first territory acquired by the Romans in the 3rd century B.C. so there's a possibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Latin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain
Guest   Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:20 am GMT
The Inquisition that took place in Spain shortly after the Reconquest of Spain from the Moors by the Iberian was not directed against the Moslems or Jews but instead they were directed against the Protestant Reformers(Calvinist, Lutherans, etc.) that were sweeping across Europe. The Jews and the Moslems were expelled from the Iberian Peninsula just before the Inquisition took place.

The fervent Catholic Spaniards feared these groups' influence more than they fear the influence of the Moors and Jewish. That's they implemented the inquisition to prevebt what was happening in other parts of Europe to take place in the Spanish soil.
Guest   Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:35 am GMT
Guest Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:20 am GMT
The Inquisition that took place in Spain shortly after the Reconquest of Spain from the Moors by the Iberian was not directed against the Moslems or Jews but instead they were directed against the Protestant Reformers(Calvinist, Lutherans, etc.) that were sweeping across Europe. The Jews and the Moslems were expelled from the Iberian Peninsula just before the Inquisition took place.

The fervent Catholic Spaniards feared these groups' influence more than they fear the influence of the Moors and Jewish. That's why they implemented the inquisition to prevent what was happening in other parts of Europe to take place in the Spanish soil.

BTW, the Spaniards at that time view those Christians outside the Catholic Church as "Heretics"
K. T.   Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:35 am GMT
Lol!!! The Reconquista promoted religious freedom? Why did they kill anyone who admitted to being Muslim or Jewish? Why did the Inquisition start shortly after? And what does Muslim control of Spain in the Middle Ages have to do with freedom in modern Canada-Josh

Josh,
Sans Reconquista il n'y aurait ni Espagne, ni Portugal, ni castillan, ni portugais, ni catalan/valencien... La discussion s'arrête donc là.- OïL

A gracious answer. Thank-you.
K. T.   Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:37 am GMT
Creo que están comparando Greek y Spanish pero no estoy muy seguro.
Esperemos a ver que dice Franco-Guest

Why is that? Is he an expert on Greek?
Guest   Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:49 am GMT
"On prétend que des mots germaniques (comme <guerre>/<guerra>/<war>) sont entrés dans les langues romanes après la chute de l'empire romain. Mais on les trouve dans TOUS les dialectes italiens et ibériques, même là où les Germains ne sont jamais passés! Conclusion: ces mots faisaient partie depuis déjà des siècles de la langue parlée dans tout l'Empire. "

Oh, is that why posters chime in here with "French is germanic." or something similar? I never understood that. I'm not a linguist, but I kind of think all romance languages are just some form of Latin to some degree. Some languages seem to be further from the source. To me, Romanian is not immediately understandable, unlike Catalan and Occitan.
Guest   Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:06 am GMT
A todos los hablantes del español, escuchad ésta canción en Griego y estaréis sorprendidos cuán semejantes en realidad son.

Antique - Follow me (greek song)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JKSWCR92BBY
Guest   Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:22 am GMT
OMG, that sounded like spanish but with different words, seriously if I had heard someone talking in greek really far away I would've thought is was spanish.
K. T.   Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:52 am GMT
Hey, that's what I've been saying. It's scary. The music of the language fools you at a distance.

In the song you hear "Spanish" words, but the whole thing doesn't make sense.
Guest   Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:41 am GMT
Todo aquel que piense que el griego y el español son distintas lenguas en realidad no sabe ni jota de qué se trata. El griego es un código ingenioso establecido hace siglos por los cruzados españoles.
Calliope   Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:57 am GMT
"Todo aquel que piense que el griego y el español son distintas lenguas en realidad no sabe ni jota de qué se trata. El griego es un código ingenioso establecido hace siglos por los cruzados españoles. "

Please someone translate, I think my poor grasp of Spanish is playing a joke on me...
Guest   Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:01 am GMT
Bueno, lo traduciré para los gringos y los gabachos.

Greek and Spanish have historic conections, very enigmatic, actually.
K. T.   Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:22 am GMT
Bueno, lo traduciré para los gringos y los gabachos.

Greek and Spanish have historic conections, very enigmatic, actually.-Guest

LOL! That's not what it said in Spanish, but I'll agree that it is a bit enigmatic.