Greek and Spanish comparison

Calliope   Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:29 am GMT
"LOL! That's not what it said in Spanish, but I'll agree that it is a bit enigmatic. "

That's what I figured as well with my poor Spanish, but I thought I'd wait to confirm it before I started laughing. :)
Guest   Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:08 am GMT
OïL
<<<"On prétend que des mots germaniques (comme <guerre>/<guerra>/<war>) sont entrés dans les langues romanes après la chute de l'empire romain. Mais on les trouve dans TOUS les dialectes italiens et ibériques, même là où les Germains ne sont jamais passés! Conclusion: ces mots faisaient partie depuis déjà des siècles de la langue parlée dans tout l'Empire. " >>>

Very interesting - how could it have happened that Germanic words and grammar entered and influenced vernacular Latin centuries before Caesar? Was there some undocumented Germanic migration already operating so early? Slaves perhaps, or soldiers?
Adolfo   Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:20 pm GMT
I don't know how they teach the Spanish Reconquista in Canada and another countries, but it was not so bloody and full of intolerance. Take into account that Northern Spain was overpopulated in these days, so they had to conquer territories to the Moors , Saracens, or whatever term you want to use to name them, if they wanted to survive, but there was a relative tolerance between both sides, and cultural exchanges of many kinds. Of course on the long term, only one of them would end up being the dominant culture of all Spain, because both cultures were too different to mix and merge into a single one. After the Christians conquered all Spain, the Moors WERE ALLOWED to stay in Spain and keep their religion. The same did not happen with the Jews, but that is another matter. Most of the defeated Moors ended up migrating to Morocco and Algeria because they considered dishonourable to live between christians , and the the few who remained were definitely expelled from Spain, but that happened two centuries after the Reconquista concluded in 1492.
Guest   Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:53 pm GMT
"I don't know how they teach the Spanish Reconquista in Canada and another countries"

This is a good one. In Canada or the USA most of the population don't even have a clue where Spain is.

But I agree with the guy who said that without the Spanish Reconquest Europe (and thus the American continent) would have been a very different place.
Guest   Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:47 pm GMT
<<But I agree with the guy who said that without the Spanish Reconquest Europe (and thus the American continent) would have been a very different place. >>

Please be aware that not the Spanish Reconquista stopped the Saracens to conquer Europe but the Germanic Franks under Karl Martel to Karl the Great!
Guest   Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:07 pm GMT
"but the Germanic Franks under Karl Martel to Karl the Great!"
What ?!?!?! The Reconquest lasted 700 years!!!

"I don't want to have to delete all those posts "

Go to hell, Josh, you are most obnoxious host in the whole internet. I am tempted to attack your site just for the fun of it!!! Don't push your luck
Adolfo   Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:18 pm GMT
In fact the Saracents , the Muslims, the Moors or however you call them, tried to conquer Europe many times. Apart from the Reconquista, Spain was involved in the battle of Lepanto against the Otoman Empire in the XVI century, which was decisive in the European History. I know this is off-topic, but I considered important to note it.
Guest   Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:29 pm GMT
Well, Saracens (or whatever you want to call them, it's fine with me) didn't invent nuclear bombs, concentration camps, GMO, BSE and other benefits of western civilization. So, yes Europe and whole world would be very different if Saracens managed to hold the Iberian peninsula, but it could well be a better world to live in.
Adolfo   Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:09 pm GMT
What's wrong with the nuclear bomb itself? Do we have to blame the researchers who invented it? Nuclear bombs are nice.
Guest   Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:42 pm GMT
"The angrier the trolls are, the better I'm doing my job."

No I am not a troll. I am an Spanish guy with a PHD in EE and and my threat about bringing down your server is something I can easily do... but something I won't do because, after all... I enjoy your site.

You need the relax. You have some sort of personal problem that makes you want to be somebody important and want to BE IN CHARGE. That, for I know about you, it's not going to happen. Relax, this site does only need you to act when somebody is offending somebody else. Relax... the less you intervene the better.

Take my advice, Josh, I'm much older than you... Relax and enjoy this site as much as we do...
OïL   Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:33 pm GMT
Gentlemen, time to come back to the topic....

Yep, Spanish and Greek sound strikingly similar, just as do most of languages spoken along Europe's Mediterranean rim: minimal vowel systems (inventory often reduced to 5 vowels) — which results in a distinctive colourful Mediterranean voice —. And trilled alveolar R too.

With those features the human voice is fittted with a sort of built-in amplifier and lent ifself especially well to operatic singing (Maria Callas, Placido Domingo... without forgetting the late Luciano Pavarotti).

Since there isn't any special relationship between Spanish and Greek, the only available explanation is that it's a legacy of some pre-Indo-European substrate of which the Basque language would be the only surviving remnant.
Guest   Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:03 pm GMT
Greek especially in its Classical form shows lots of similaties with Latin because they can be considered sisters to each other and offspwing of Indo-European.

Spanish and other Romance languages are just nieces of Clasical Greek while modern Greek is their cousin.
Guest   Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:12 pm GMT
Greek especially in its Classical form shows lots of similaties with Latin because they can be considered sisters to each other and offspring of Indo-European than with Spanish and other Romance languages.

Spanish and other Romance languages are just nieces of Clasical Greek while Modern Greek is their cousin.

That's true Josh in grammar, phonology, and in vocabulary.
Guest   Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:16 pm GMT
If there are huge similarities in vocabulary between Greek and Spanish and other Romance langauges it's because many scientific terms were derived from Classical Greek.

This practice of borrowing from Classical Greekis also inherent in Teutonic and Slavic languages
hey   Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:09 pm GMT
Greek language is connected to turkish and arabic rather than spanish.